“Rubbish”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Went for afternoon tea. Served cheese scones with jam and cream (no butter), no offer of coffee just tea. Bought in fondant fancy and mini carrot cake, nothing homemade except for the sandwiches - cheap and nasty bread with chewy prawns. Absolute dire! What you get for your money = 1 scone, some pants sandwiches, a fondant fancy and a miniature bite sized carrot cake!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Anonamum

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here Saturday night with my boyfriend who had secretly been in touch with the hotel to arrange an upgrade for our room (I later found oit this cost £30) The room was lovely and had a four poster bed and a separate living area, however as the room was on the top floor it had low ceilings and felt a bit cramped. The bathroom was a bit dated and the shower rubbish. Our bed was so soft that it was impossible to sleep on, every time one of us moved, even slightly, we ended up both rolling into the middle! The bathroom light flickered on and off and the room in general just wasn't worth the money. We went to the bar for our evening meal as we were told the restaurant would be really busy as we hadn't booked. We didn't see anyone go in until after 7.30pm. Regardless, our meal in the bar was lovely, slightly overpriced but at least enjoyable.
Also to note, lack of sleep not aided by the fact you can hear everything, doors banging, people up at the toilet, even just people talking.
Buffet breakfast seemed promising when we arrived, the restaurant wasn't too busy despite it being 9am. My boyfriend ordered a tea and was given coffee and had to ask someone if they could restock the hot breakfast buffet so he could have some eggs and black pudding.
We weren't asked on departure if we enjoyed our stay, hence the trip advisor post. Have to say I feel very disappointed to have spent £200.00 on this stay, would not recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank j12hln
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here with my new wife on a two-night honeymoon break as part of a 'Living Social' deal - £185 for a deluxe room, breakfast, three-course meal with wine on first night, afternoon tea on second day.

On driving in, the place looked magnificent as seen from the pictures. Check in was a breeze - quick and efficient and booked dinner - but they didnt profer too much info on confirming what was included in deal, etc.

The layout of the hotel is confusing. We were on level four when we entered after a long, long walk from the reception, but when we went to the nearest lift to our room, we were on level two and apparently the reception was there too. Only it wasn't.

The room was lovely, large and kitted out with most of the things you'd expect (except a mini-bar, dental kit), though the lighting system is a bit odd. There was also a bottle of wine in the room which we weren't sure was complementary with the deluxe room, or the wine included in the 'Living Social' deal.

Was looking forward to dinner on the first night, but things went a little downhill from here. Firstly we were put at a table that felt quite exposed - near the entrance and next to a till point and the serving hatch from the bar. We asked to be moved and got a better table.

We ordered butternut squash soup, which wasn't bad, but they forgot to serve bread rolls - just some butter. Wasn't too bothered so didn't ask. For drinks we asked for a bottle of wine - asking too if this was the wine included in the deal or not. The waitress said she'd find out, but just brought the wine and didn't say if it was included or not. It was house white and somewhat overpriced at £17.99. We also asked for a jug of water but that didn't arrive either.

The main dishes were Fillet of Guilt Head Bream with potatoes and fine beans, and chicken supreme with potatoes and broad beans. My dish was good, even if the fillet was a bit small, but my wife's chicken supreme was pretty bland. The waiter who took our plates asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu - we said yes.

And we waited. It didn't come, so I asked a waitress. It arrived after 10 minutes - the only menu available apparently. We both chose sticky toffee pudding. When it arrived - around 20 minutes later - it was nice but evidently not as warm as it was intended to be.

Overall, the dining experience was very disappointing and I certainly wouldn't pay the prices for the food or service on offer. We seemed to be served by a different member of the waiting staff at different points, which might account for the stilted service. All were polite enough, but like another reviewer said they seemed a little robotic and lacked genuine warmth. We ate at a local pub - the Bay Horse - in Heighington, which had cheaper and nicer food with friendlier service.

We retired to the reception sitting area with the remainder of our wine, where a lovely fireplace roared with flames next to leather chairs in a room with period decor. The room was lovely but deathly quiet but probably not much more quiet than the bar area. It was November, so maybe a quiet time, but not much going on and little to see in immediate area.

The swimming pool is good, and I did use the small sauna which was perfectly adequate though perhaps small if many people were using it.

Checking out was quick, but we weren't asked if we'd enjoyed the stay or if everything had been to our satisfaction - just whether we'd had another bottle of wine in addition to the free one.

I can't help but feel that 'special offer' guests like us are just fodder to keep the place going, rather than being seen as valued guests. It's a shame as the place looks so good but lacks the character you'd expect, the service indicated by its four-star rating, and any real signs of life about it. I wouldn't stay here again.

One other small point: when booking I was asked if it was for a special occasion. I said yes, it's our honeymoon and the Puma Hotels agent said she'd note that down. I wasn't expecting anything too special as a result, but I was disappointed that the staff didn't even acknowledge it, or perhaps even offer a complementary glass of wine. Seems pointless to ask why you're booking then.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't miles from the reception.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stay was for leisure with my husband for 2 nights. Great value for money. We had dinner on first night which was superb...can recommend the rib eye steak! Breakfast for 2 mornings and again, was really good with plenty of choices of both hot and cold food on offer, buffet style, but could order specialities at no extra cost from menu.Service of all the hotel staff was fantastic. The mood of the hotel was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble when asking for help or guidance. The bonus for us was the beautiful building and location which enhanced our stay. Would say this place is a gem!! Will certainly be revisiting.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Our spacious room was in the original part of the hotel which was very much full of character and with lots of little areas to sit and relax. Negatively was the smell that arose from turning on the presumably under used jacuzzi bath in our very large bathroom. The spa and leisure facilities were lovely but the weather prevented us from accessing the hotel's spacious grounds. Well situated close to Durham and an hour from York this was a very nice hotel for a comfortable short break

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Let me start by saying that this review is solely based upon our experience at the health club and not the actual hotel as we didn't stay, however if the standards of the health club are the same as the hotel I certainly wouldn't recommend staying!

A friend and I decided to visit redworth hall for a spa day after purchasing a voucher via "living social" the voucher was for 2 people to have an hours treatment with light lunch and use of the spa facilities for 90 pounds. I appreciate that we didn't pay much however this was certainly a case of "you get what you pay for"! This was cheap for a reason!

On booking our spa day I was slightly concerned that no guidance was given on the telephone as to when our treatments would take place or even which treatments we would like to have (we were told to decide on the day). On arrival the main hotel looked lovely with a big long drive and impressive looking stately home, I was confident that we were going to have a nice day... However on entering the health club I realised this was not the case.

Firstly it was far far to busy! Obviously the vouchers had been over subscribed and they were trying to pack as many people as possible into the tiny swimming pool and facilities. So much so that my friend and I decided to have a coffee and wait until the crowds died down before even attempting to use the pool. On entering the changing rooms I actually said to my friend " shall we go home!" Everything was absolutely filthy, the showers were covered in dirty footprints and plug holes full of hair, the changing rooms smelt disgusting and fixtures and fittings were outdated and in a bad state if repair... No hand towels in any dispensers, blocked toilets and a massive pile of dirty towels in the corner!

Nevertheless we used the pool and sauna etc for 30 minutes and returned to the reception area where we were served our light lunch.... A plain, bland chicken salad. They even managed to forget our drinks!

Finally time for our treatments and we both chose a 60 minute massage which I must say was very good...however after using the changing rooms I felt dirty and couldn't wait to get home to get a proper shower! Whilst packing our bags to come home we spoke to another couple who were just as disgruntled as we were and were going to complain as they left.

I was going to complain but quite frankly no one asked us if we had enjoyed our visit and no one said good bye so I thought I would save my comments for on here.

In summary I would absolutely not recommend anyone visits this establishment and wastes their money until the management get their act together and make it an enjoyable place to visit! There is absolutely no excuse when it comes to cleanliness and redworth hall fell way short of the mark!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were staying at the hotel for a wedding and reception and found the hotel to be a lovely traditional hotel in a very pleasant rural setting. The front of house staff were very pleasant and helpful on arrival. The room was very pleasant and much larger than expected and the setting for the wedding perfect. The whole package was excellent and also very good value !!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!