“Perfect backdrop for a winter marriage celebration!”

Redworth Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Redworth Hall was the perfect setting for a winter marriage celebration and the attentive staff did a lot to make our guests feel very welcome. From the very first contact I had with Vicki, Redworth's events manager, to Tony, the head of staff in charge of the evening, the employees did a fantastic job.

Because I don't live in the UK, my mother-in-law did the majority of the planning. After a couple of disappointing experiences with other venues in the area, she was surprised and touched by the staff's kindness. She and my father in law were even allowed to tour the hotel and the grounds twice.

As soon as we drove up I was blown away by Redworth Hall's majesty. I'm an American Downton Abbey/the Shining fan and I love all sorts of maze-like castles. (Rumor is the forlorn spirits of the Hall's previous dwellers still stalk the grounds, which really appealed to this horror movie aficionado.) Stepping into the Great Hall was like stepping into another, more grandiose era, and it provided the perfect atmosphere in which we could celebrate our marriage and my parents-in-law's vow renewal.

I have to dedicate an entire paragraph to Tony and the staff. Tony accommodated our every need and kept everything running smoothly, allowing my mother-in-law and I to enjoy ourselves without worry. He walked us through how the evening would go regarding the dinner and the party afterwards, from 5 pm to 11 pm. We had a few decorations we wanted to set down on the tables prior to dinner, just a few Christmas ornaments for our guests to take home, and again the staff accommodated us. They also provided us with an old-fashioned postal box, which added to the atmosphere of the evening and was a great way to keep our greeting cards for safekeeping. Tony kept coming in and checking on everything throughout the dinner and the party, whether it was to move and clear the tables or to stoke the fire.

The Sunday dinner was delicious and the creme brûlée dessert was great. The DJ had contacted us beforehand and he played a lot of our requests without keeping the music monotonous (I like Beyonce and Michael Jackson more than most).

The room we booked that evening also exceeded my expectations. The jacuzzi bathtub was luxurious, and the bed was super comfortable. The breakfast bar also had everything you could ever want after a long night of drinking and dancing, from a full English dinner (complete with black pudding) to fruit and cereal.

All in all, Redworth Hall was everything I imagined it would be and more. I'll always cherish my memories of that evening , and can't wait to visit next time we're in England.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Guia D
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

''Redworth Hall was everything I imagined it would be and more''.
Thank you, a fabulous comment on such a special day. Let me know
for you next visit, there will be a bottle of fizz on ice for you.
kindest regards

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Excellent hotel. Had a great weekend stay. All the usual compliments you would expect with a satisfied stay but with the added fact - ALL staff were excellent. Nothing too much trouble, helpful without being over bearing. Excellent staff/guest ratio which is very unusual in these days of cut backs. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank scotbon
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Many thanks, we are really pleased to get such nice feedback.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Since moving away from Darlington to Cheshire 7 years ago, we hadn’t been to Redworth Hall Hotel since. So when an Amazon Local offer came in for a two night stay with dinner on the first night plus a bottle of wine for just £165 for two people, curiosity got the better of us and we booked for early January stay. We paid an extra £20 for a Spa deluxe room which was well worth the money. It featured a comfy super king-size bed and a brand-new looking bathroom with multi-directional shower array in a cubicle and separate Jacuzzi-type bath. The room was situated just above the Roman inspired pool area and gym but none of the usual swimming pool smells were experienced. A welcome 2-nighter and a lovely post Christmas lift with good accommodation, food and facilities. The old 1744 fine-dining restaurant has disappeared as has the Conservatory Restaurant but the food in the hotel remains consistently good. I understand that reopening the fine dining restaurant is a possibility in the New Year. Also included in the price was afternoon cream tea (absolutely delicious) served by the open log fire in the reception area. Redworth Hall Hotel is 4-star and well worth a try at these prices

Room Tip: Pay an extra £20 and get a Spa Deluxe bedroom situated in the newer part of the hotel. Well worth th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken S

I hope your relaxing break got the new year off to a great start.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I was very disappointed when I went with my friends to the winter wonderland for our Xmas night out, it was well overpriced, the dance floor was not big enough, the music was rubbish and the so called snow machine was pathetic. What a rip off for £35 and the price of the drinks at the bar was unbelievable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandra T
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Do contact me directly I would be delighted to discuss your parties comments personally

Reviewed 12 January 2014

After attending the winter wonderland Christmas Party I can only express my disappointment and have to add it was the worse Christmas party I have attended. The food was edible but not as desirable as described in the brochure. As for the winter wonderland this consisted of a few sparse white trees in the corner near the DJ. I say DJ he clearly was not a DJ but a member of staff with a laptop and poor song playlist also throughout the evening the lights remained switched on, on the dance floor and the dance floor itself was so small people were dancing around there tables or on the carpet. I organise the staff Christmas party each year and this has been the most disappointing and over priced party we have attended sounded good in the brochure but did not live up to our expectations nor others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Louise E

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Our first time at Redworth we went for 3 nights including New Years Eve, the hotel is very nice, the staff excellent and the accomodation was very nice, we upgraded to a better room for an extra £20 a night as our first room was a bit small, it is in a beautiful setting.We will return, our only slight complaint was the size of the meal portions, they were a bit small, the meals themselves were very nice and the breakfasts excellent

Room Tip: Upgrade, room 7 is great
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable. Also thank you for your kind comments with regard to quality. We hope to see you next year.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone with a family!
The first room we were allocated was 403, an initial look around we could see that there was wallpaper hanging off the walls, holes in the wall, the curtains were ripped and frayed along the seam. I returned to reception to see if I could get another room as I wasn’t happy with the standard of the accommodation for a 4 star hotel at 203 pound per night! The girl on reception didn’t even query why we wanted it changed which led me to believe she knew of the condition of the room.
We were then given the choice of room 404 and 405. 404 had a threadbare carpet that was frayed around the entrance to the bathroom; the valance sheets on both the single beds were ripped. 405 wasn’t much better either. Once again I returned to reception to say that the standard wasn’t good enough. This time we were given the choice of 415 or 417, 417 smelled damp and cold so this time we chose 415 as it was the ‘best of a bad bunch’ and there were no other options available. The gentleman who showed us to the rooms even commented that they needed updating and refurbishing. At least he was honest. Whilst we were just putting our bags in the room another couple arrived who had been given the same room we had been allocated. On speaking to them later they told us they had been upgraded for the inconvenience but this was never offered to us and not even a reduction in the rate. I did inform the duty manager who gave us 2 half carafes of wine for the inconvenience we had suffered. Upon closer inspection of this room during our stay we found stained curtains, chewing gum stain on the carpet, the shower head was broken and the bath panel was in a state of disrepair and the toilet had not been flushed with a dead spider lying at the bottom as well as dirty finger prints in the bathroom. Considering this was a family room we also had no bottles of water at all for the children the next morning when we woke.
Other problems we had during our brief stay included the gym locker key getting stuck in the lock, I informed the pool reception while I went for a swim, and they said they would inform maintenance. After my session I asked if it had been fixed and they said yes it had been and that it would open now. They had left the locker unlocked with all my clothes in including wallet and watch, when I informed them of this this they just looked at me with blank expressions on their faces. Not impressed!
The food at our evening meal was of a reasonable standard and I have no complaints at all regarding this, however at lunch time we had the misfortune to try the bar food. At 14 pound for a pizza I would expect a pretty fantastic pizza; however what myself and my children were served were two greasy examples that were topped with cheddar cheese and not mozzarella for some reason? My parents were served sandwiches that at 9 pound weren’t a very good standard either!
My parents’ room was number 7 and this was a reasonable room but again more problems! I booked a twin room for them and was given a double but they did not want to complain. I order flowers which I was told would be 30 pounds when I rang to organize this but was charged 35 pounds and not even a good wishes note or card in the room to mark the fact that it was my mums 70th. My mum requested a morning paper but it never arrived.
A disaster for my mums 70th !!!!!

Room Tip: Don't get a family room, they all need updating and refurbished!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank LOULAS14

I am pleased we have been able to speak directly.
Kindest regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in West Auckland
Hardwick Hall Hotel
Hardwick Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sedgefield

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!