“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Redworth
sunderland
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our room was lovely and modern. Lovely bathroom and giant bed. Decor was great and plenty of room. Peaceful and relaxing stay, spa facilities are basic in my opinion but you get what you pay for and I'd still say it was value for money. Food delicious and staff really welcoming and friendly. Good cocktails :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank charlie1982
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments, it is lovely to read you had such an enjoyable time with us. We do hope to welcome you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just back from a fabulous weekend. Booked a family room to accommodate my friend's ten year old grandson. The family room on the fourth floor was great. It was almost like 2 rooms for the price of one. The grounds are spectacular with lots to do and see. We had dinner in the hotel both nights and it was very tasty. My compliments to the chef for the tomato soup it was amazing. The thing we liked best was the kid's menu - no chicken nuggets here - lovely good healthy tasty food with a great choice. The thing that make our weekend complete and extra special was the attention our youngster received from our server CALLUM he was a real gem allowing our young man to sign for the food bill it made him feel very important, bravo Callum you deserve a bonus.... The only one point I would make was I thought it a bit of a liberty to charge £4 per person for the crazy golf. In my opinion it should have been included it was a bit mean to charge extra. This however did not spoil things we had a great weekend. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review, I am delighted to read we were able to make your family break special. Callum is very pleased to receive a mention, so thank you also for this. Just in relation to the pricing for the crazy golf, we do actually hire these from an eternal company, and they set the prices. I hope to see you all return again in the near future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here last Friday night. We couldn't remember check in times and arrived at 1pm and were told there were no rooms ready until 3pm but we could leave our bags. This was fine but a suggestion of ordering drinks in the bar or afternoon tea would have been nice. We had just come from visiting Durham so didn't want to drive anywhere else. It was me who had to ask if we could use the spa facilities before check in. We were told 'yes' and we used the gym and the pool which were very nice. Upon checking into our room, even though the room was a good size, it was very tired and shabby looking and the cleanliness of the bathroom was well below a good standard. Our room had a connecting door to another room and we could hear a lot of noise from next door, I was woken up at 2am from them coming back in. We were expecting a lot more from a 4 star establishment and felt that it was definitely more of a 3 star. The outside of the hotel looks lovely but the reception area needs updating and if all of the rooms were the same as ours, some major renovations are required. The bed was comfy and breakfast was nice, there was plenty of choice but I wouldn't be prepared to pay to stay again for that standard of bedroom.

3 Thank Amy H
Please allow me to apologise that your room dind't meet our usual cleanliness standards. We do take this very seriously, and it will be looked into further. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel for a 2 night stay for what we were hoping would be a relaxing break...we arrived on the Saturday afternoon and on arrival were impressed by the outside of the hotel and the reception area....we were given our key and booked for dinner that same evening...we went to our allocated room of 409 and all that I can say about that room is OMG, it was outdated, the windows and window frames were dirty, the room was dark and a very strange shape...the bathroom was falling apart.....there was a 4 poster bed in the room and although this sounds lovely, it was falling apart with no effort at all to making it look nice....for the shape of the room, the bed looked very awkward.....I was instantly disappointed, we had chosen this hotel as it looked beautiful from the pictures, an idyllic setting and spa facilities.....the room had taken the shine off our weekend break......I rang reception to ask if we could move rooms, although the receptionist was helpful enough we were told that the hotel was full that night and so we could not move, but we could move for our second nights stay....

Deflated we decided to try and enjoy our stay and visit the spa and swimming pool......it was really busy as the hotel had 2 different hen party spa breaks staying that evening...although this didn't bother us there was towels all over the swimming area, and a dirty plaster in the steam room - not very nice!!

We went down the to bar before dinner for a drink and again although the bar was busy we got a seat and looked over the menu for dinner......the hotel offers a 2 or 3 course menu for a set price which looked really nice, but then they add supplements on it if you choose a steak or a cheese board or some other things that I can't remember, what a strange way to do a menu, why not just offer A la carte......anyway....I had prawn cocktail which was nice, small but nice, and chicken for main which was again nice, you also have to order vegetables separately.......my partner ordered the steak for his main and ordered it medium.....when it arrived it was completely obviously WELL DONE....how the chef even had the cheek to send the steak out I don't know......we summoned the waitress over who was great and took the steak away and my meal and and after a little wait brought out new food and is time the steak was done medium.

The next day I checked with reception and they informed us to leave our luggage packed and they would move our luggage to our new room.....we waited in the hotel and moved rooms around 3pm.....room 215 was much better.....the standard you would expect when you book a 4 star hotel..

I had 3 treatments in the spa a pedicure, massage and manicure and the girls in the spa were great.

To sum up....definitely not worth 4 stars.....I myself have worked for 2 different hotel chains and worked in 3 different 4* hotels....I know that all hotels have rooms that need renovating and you allocate these to the lowest paying guests hoping they won't complain....however, each room should still be to a 4* basic standard and room 409 falls well below this, I have stayed in better travelodges and premier inns.....I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone I am sorry to say........definitely disappointing

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank angie1972
Thank you for your feedback. Although it is disappointing to read, I am pleased that the staff all were accommodating and did what they could to rectify the issues you did have.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have visited other hotels in the Puma Hotels range and this one isn't as good as Buxton Palace or our favourite The Majestic in Harrogate. The Hall itself and the grounds are lovely however our room was in the new part of the building. The room was very dark, completely overshadowed by trees and with no view so although it was a sunny day we had to have the lights on. The room was a nice size and well appointed however the decor was extremely dated and we were awoken by a loud noise from the plumbing. The pool and sauna were pleasant.
We had booked a dine and sparkle package but had to request the bottle of wine and were presented with a bill for the evening meal which was part of this package. The evening meal was nice but not superb however the restaurant staff were very attentive.
Perhaps we would have had a different experience had we been in a better room.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view - in the old part of the hall
3 Thank juliebarker
John O, General Manager at Redworth Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
I am very sorry you didn't enjoy our Spa rooms. As we have various types of rooms here at Redworth, it is down to customer's personal preferance as some of our guest's love these rooms, whereas others prefer the Superior rooms located in the original house.
With regards to the restaurant staff, I will ensure our Restaurant Manager reviews their training with all staff, so they are aware of our packages currently on offer. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Redworth Hall is a stunning old manor house in a beautiful setting. Unfortunately the first impressions are let down by the tired interior of a hotel well past it's prime. I understand some of the rooms are being refurbished we were not that fortunate, but much of the public space and health centre are in need of serious TLC. That said once you have got over the disappointment the hotel does provide a good base in a beautiful old building in an area of lovely countryside.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly refurbished rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alun B
Thank you for leaving us your comments, and I am sorry you found some of our building to be dated. We are continously refurbishing the hotel, and will very shortly carrying out our next project. I am pleased you enjoyed the surrounding areas and what this area has to offer.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for one night in May 2014 this was our second visit to the hall both times have been fantastic, superior rooms are immaculate and lovely and food is delicious try the seabass best I've ever had, looking forward to going back again! Breakfast is great as there is a bit of everything to please everyone. grounds are also lovely and on a sunny day it looked lovely to have a drink on the front lawn.

Room Tip: Go for the superior double rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am delighted we were able to meet all of your needs, and I have passed your comments regarding the seabass onto the chef. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redworth
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Redworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!