“Pleasant pub”

The Bell Inn, Rickinghall
Ranked #7 of 15 Diss B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Bell is a typical village pub. I was welcomed with a smile and a pleasant greeting on arrival. My room No1 is spacious with a large king sized bed which proved to be most comfortable and gave me an excellent nights sleep. I had dinner in the dining room which was served by a very pleasant young lady, the food was well cooked and presented.

Recomended

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RAYKAV

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights and were pleased with the accommodation it was comfortable and well appointed.
The rooms are not huge but are comfortable. We had one with a 4 poster bed which was nice.
At night there is a little noise from the pub particularly as they are cleaning up but other than this we were not disturbed.
New owners took over the pub in May and are making a huge effort to lift it and the restaurant to a standard where they can win some of the local awards which will only continue to improve this place.
There is plenty of parking and the rooms all have wifi access.
The breakfasts were substantial and well prepared
A good place to be based and to return to for dinner and a drink

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and i stayed here for an overnight stay after a car show.
We found the inn a very nice homely place set in a little quiet village with a post office next door.
We both had the steak dinner which was cooked to perfection and all the trimmings were very good. A huge meal so sadley had no room to sample any of the amazing looking desserts.
After a nice evening chatting to some of the locals and a few games of pool we headed off to our room (number 6) where we had a beautiful 4 poster bed. The room was spotless and had tea, coffee, hot chocolate & water to drink. We had a very good nights sleep then had a fantastic cooked breakfast at 9am (there were also various cereals, fruit juices and grapefruit to help yourself too) a lovely spread.
Overall a fantastic stay with lovely home cooked meals, would highly recommend & will be visiting again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Disappointed with this hotel, the reception is in the bar which has threadbare carpet so does not provide a good initial impression which does not improve when you move to the stairway to the accommodation floor. Our room was in the middle of the accommodation area (room 5) and was clean and tidy with a king size bed, alcove wardrobe with door and a small toilet, shower room.
Unfortunately only one side of the bed had a bedside cabinet as there was about 8/10 inches between bed and wall, I am not big but found the easiest way into bed was by climbing over.
the ceiling of the toilet/shower room was bare plasterboard which looked to have been recently fitted.
Arriving late afternoon after a day traveling and site-seeing we thought to have a quiet hour before getting ready for dinner when we started to hear the sound of meals being prepared in the kitchen below. this paled into insignificance when the spin-dryer started up in the area behind our wardrobe sounding like a jet engine. I went down to the bar to find what was going on and as there was not privacy the customers were able to hear and comment on my complaint, when I stepped out side this was followed by abuse.
The evening meal was very good value for money, so we decided to dine there on the second evening, however the starter of Chicken liver pate at £5.45 was in no way value for money being two half slices of melba toast and just enough pate to cover them, tasted like shop bought, but I was assured was home made. I consider the salads to also be over priced in relation to other meals on offer. The pudding however was excellent and good value.
At around 11pm I had gone to sleep but my wife was kept awake my the washing machine (we presume) starting again followed by a noisy person outside.
When I mentioned these points on checking out I was told that the washing/drying should not happen whilst guests were in the rooms (not sure I was taken seriously) and that they had never had complaints about the quantity or quality of the food before. I would not have complained had I had other mains with chips as they were big. Cannot see my complaint going any further.

To explain rating for sleep quality, the bed was very comfortable, but crammed in and the external noise spoilt this.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 to 3 are over the bar, 5 is next to the hotel washing facilities and 4 and other facing the...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank natbeth
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We recently stayed in this village in for a couple of nights. Room fine for the price; breakfast fine; friendly service; attractive village; adequate parking. Comfortable bed (though I always prefer to have a double duvet on a single bed, as less draughty).
The only problem I had, in room 8 at the end of the building, was that the guest(s) in room 7 listened to the TV until the small hours (which, of course, they are quite entitled to do!). Unfortunately, there is a communicating door between the rooms and it was possible to hear the television until it was turned off, even though there was no discernible gap round the door. In the morning, I was able to hear the person's phone ring and hear him when he answered it. So, on the first night, I didn't get off to sleep till several hours after I retired to bed. Not knowing what sort of neighbours we had, I was reluctant to knock on their door to ask them to turn the sound down.
I would suggest that, if the communicating door is to be retained, some thought might be given to some sort of soundproofing of the door - for privacy if for no other reason.

Room Tip: Rooms at the far end are further from the bar, so potentially quieter ( but see my comments about co...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ZAN1P0L0
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Found this place whilst making a trip, the excellent signage pointed me in the right direction. We served by a lovely woman who I assume was the land lady, the pub was busy considering it was mid afternoon with a few tables all eating. I had the ham egg and chips and the person I was with had a sandwich. Both were very well presented, large portions. My ham was obviously freshly carved and the eggs were just the right consistency. We were told that they also had rooms and I am very tempted to go back for a night there as they had a great selection of ales on too!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a few rooms at the Bell Inn as well as a meal for a group of us celebrating a 60th birthday.
The staff were fantastic, very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. I had quite a few people to arrange meals for and had been sending emails backwards and forwards, amending orders, changing room numbers etc... They were so understanding!
The private dining room was set up very nicely for us and the meals were fantastic! They even put up some decorations for us as I was too busy to do it myself!
The rooms are lovely too, very comfy beds and fab prices :)
Breakfast was very tasty with local ingredients and great friendly service!
Will definitely be returning. We have had a lovely stay :)
Thankyou to Howard and family, and to Jordan for the fantastic service provided on the night of the group meal! X

Stayed: November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diss
The Park hotel
Scole Inn
Scole Inn
#1 of 1 in Scole
Hazel Barn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Bell Inn, Rickinghall? Share your experiences!