“A very unpleasant experience”

The Dickleburgh Crown
Ranked #7 of 16 Diss B&B and Inns
Normandy
“A very unpleasant experience”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had seen some good reviews of this place on various sites so we decided to book a night there for a trip to Norfolk. We arrived at 3.15pm, after a six hour drive from France, and were met by a woman, who we later discovered was the owner, who advised us that the accommodation was closed from 3pm to 5pm- "It's on the site"- and made it very clear that she was doing a VERY big favour by letting us check in. There were no words of welcome, just a demand for £78, and the key was handed over. She showed us the room and then departed saying she would be back at about 4.30pm. We went into the accommodation and discovered, in the middle of the carpet by the bed, a used condom. We then had to wait until 5pm for the pub to reopen before we could complain about our unpleasant discovery. We were offered alternative accommodation but when I pointed out that, in the new room, there was no mattress cover underneath the very thin bed-sheet, we were advised to leave by the owner and offered a refund. We grabbed it with both hands and found an alternative hotel where the staff appeared pleased to see us and the room had been cleaned properly. Overall an extremely unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Inspect the room thoroughly before you accept and pay for it!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter W
Zandaticia, Manager at The Dickleburgh Crown, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Mr Edgarpole ( previous review).
Obviously we got off on a wrong footing when you arrived at the Dickleburgh Crown and for that I again apologise yes I was on my way out as we do close between 3-5 but I apologised for not being open and opened up, checked you in and took you to your room saying that if you needed anything my mobile no and pub no were in the info book provided, had you rung me I would have returned immediately. I still cannot apologise enough for the state of the room and have discussed this with housekeeping, however I did offer you a refund or our best room and free drinks when you castigated me, I took you to our best room where you had another go at me and then ripped into me about everything else that was wrong with me and the pub and yes at that point I said I thought that the best solution was to refund your money and I recommended a hotel.
Once again I am sorry for the room, however it is also difficult to please someone when right from the start they are rude and unpleasant.
This is the first time I have responded to any review but I felt that you have been unfair, it was a genuine mistake for which I have apologised for many times now.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have just returned from a short house hunting trip to Norfolk and stayed at this wonderful pub!
Sarah is a super host, she really did make our stay a great mini holiday.
The room we had was at the rear of the pub and was actually more like a small bungalow! Very comfortable bed and loads of coffee, tea, milk etc.
We had drinks in the bar before our evening meal. All of the locals were very friendly and created an excellent atmosphere.
We had our food in the small restaurant section. I just fancied some garlic mushrooms as a starter, but they were not on the menu. Our charming young waitress just checked with Sarah, and surprise, surprise (hardly) this was going to be no problem.
Our meal was excellent. At under £40 for the two of us, INCLUDING a bottle of wine, what a bargain!
TIP: Make sure that you book the breakfast. The quality and quantity meant that we didn't need any lunch.
Thank you Sarah. You and your team made us very welcome and fed us to beyond capacity!
Jes and Joanna

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

> Here is the email I sent after a recent stay

"Hi Crown management. Your treatment of us at checkout last Sunday completely spoilt our impression of the hotel - which is a shame. Normally we leave cash tips for restaurant and cleaning staff but we did not feel like it ! Maybe you should pay them the £10 surcharge? You will probably completely ignore this customer feedback but at least I have been open with you and you have a chance not to alienate other potentially regular customers the same way!"

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
essex
Reviewed 2 September 2013

the rooms are luxurious a real treat to stay in . the pub is very welcoming good beer and food the accomodation is seperate to the pub and you can park outside . the only slight downside is that there is no food on a sunday night but you can order a takeaway and eat in the pub

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My wife and i booked for weekend and stayed in the Rose apartment.
I did read teh other reviews and did make a point of checking for dust, The place was immaculate. not a drop of dust, a military inspection would have been struggling to find any.
lovely room, beautifully done, great beams and really comfortable bed.
Small niggle, water is to hot from tap.
Norwich only 20 mins away, and some great local sightseeing, beautiful coastline.
Breakfast was wonderful, lovely sausages, great black pudding, incredibly tasty bacon must be a good butcher.
Please dont call your bedroom Rose cottage, anyone who works in hspital will know why :)
The test is always, would we come back, and absolutely is the answer. Great price, great place.

Room Tip: pay the extra for teh top romm.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I chose this place purely on the strength of its rave reviews. After spending some time here, it became apparent all was not what it seemed.

On being shown to our 'room', my initial thought was Wow! It looked a very nice and modern suite, with a large and very comfortable bed set up on a platform adjacent to the 'living' area. Being a converted ancient stable-block, the building retained some of the old beams - above the sleeping area. The problem was, these beams were thick with dust - lots of it, complemented by cobwebs in almost every corner. Some of this would be difficult to get to because of the height on a weekly cleaning regime, but much of it i could have sorted myself in 5 minutes had there been a hoover nozzle handy. Its a shame because everywhere else was spotless and dust-free. This attention to detail really does let the experience down. I also think this may pose a problem for asthmatics and allergy sufferers.

This aside, the place was warm and very comfortable, with a couple of easy chairs to watch the telly whilst having a cup of tea. One let down was that the heating clicked off during the day, so 'staying in' would probably get a bit chilly in winter. Although i guess the hosts would set it going again if asked.

The good-sized bathroom, unfortunately, while modern was starting to age. Paintwork was flaking adjacent to the bath - probably as a result of the mixer shower being past its best. This contraption seemed stuck in the shower mode, having the user set it going from outside the curtain until the temperature was right. It also fired straight down onto the taps/wall, making it hard to get under. In short it wants replacing. Its my guess the owners have never actually used the shower themselves so have no idea of its poor operation.

Storage for clothes was a tallboy and wardrobe, with a couple of bedside cabinets thrown in. Coat hooks would be useful adjacent to the door.

Access is down two or three steps. Unfortunately the step-well was half full of wet mushy leaves. These should have been cleared, not least because they trod into the room onto the light coloured carpet. Again, a small attention to detail missing.

We only dined at breakfast, which was fine. As were the hosts in general, who were always ready to help. An extra yard in the cleaning and maintenance department - which wouldn't take that much doing, would really make a difference here.

Parking was good in a graveled courtyard adjacent to the suite.

Ive scored this 'Average', which isnt exactly what i wanted, but 'Very Good' is too far given the present niggles.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

my wife and I booked for one night as we were attending a birthday party in the area, from the moment we arrived to when we left the service and welcome was excellent, the room we had booked (a superior room - an extra £5) was really nice, a huge open vaulted bedroom with a seating area with TV and kettle just off from the bedroom, with a good sized bathroom. the bed was very comfortable, everything was clean and tidy.

We ate a meal in the pub before we left for the party, the food was nice, it was a simple menu, but the food was well cooked and reasonable value.

the welcome from other people in the pub was friendly, the drinks were standard pub prices, and had the standard pub selection, with a couple of cask ales.

the breakfast in the morning was very good, a veggie breakfast had been requested and was provided with no fuss.

all the food and drinks we had were added to a tab, and everything was settled up on departure.

we would definitely stay here again, as it was a very good high end bed and breakfast.

if had any complaint then with the tea and coffee making facilities in the room, a jug of fresh milk was provided, which if the weather was warmer then this could have gone off overnight, so whilst fresh milk was a nice touch on arrival the perhaps the small portions of long life milk you generally get could have been provided as well. as you will see if the only complaint is the provision of fresh milk, then they are doing a pretty good job!

there is plenty off off road parking available too, and a small general store in the village

Room Tip: pay for a superior room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple