“Like a run down local authority care home.”
Review of Gissing Hall Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diss
Gissing Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Diss
Norwich
“Like a run down local authority care home.”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We attended the same wedding as the previous three reviews. Luckily we didn't book a room however we were still subjected to the arctic temperatures throughout the building (I refuse to use the word hotel as It does genuine hotels a misjustice).

Outside looked like a mix between some allotments in the middle of a council estate and a run down care home, no outside lights and piles or rubbish right by the entrance.

Inside continued the bizarre care home theme, sparse and unwelcoming to say the least. Cold dingy public rooms that smelt there should be old people sitting on comodes in every corner.

Old tatty furniture, decor that almost certainly hasn't seen any attention for at least 20 years. I don't think I saw a member of staff (those that there were) smile the whole time we were there.

As for the meal. Two staff trying to serve over 100 people bringing out one plate at a time each, work it out for yourself.

I felt really sorry for everyone, everyone was feezing cold.

Avoid unless you want to experience what it must be like to live in a run down local authority care home.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ken332

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My cousin had his wedding reception there yesterday, I do hope this didn't ruin his special day.
Outside was a building site, litter and old furniture right outside the front door.
Inside was cold and a lack of furniture.
I believe they knew they had a wedding booked, but were just not prepared, lack of staff and even less choice of drinks at the bar. Food service was a joke, children served last, not a salt and pepper in sight and just took forever.

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank Steviepot2002

Travellers are raving about these Diss hotels

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We went for a wedding tonight & had booked a room, after taking our bags to our room we reported that our radiator was not working & the room was freezing. We were told it would be sorted. Over dinner in a fteezing marquee we found out lots of the other guests had problems with their rooms too, the heating was not sorted by 8.30pm, reception was closed, so handed the key to one of the staff & came home. After sitting for 3 hours in a really cold marquee we had had enough.

• Stayed January 2013
6 Thank redmund7759
Surrey
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Booked Gissing Hall hotel as it was close to friends who were having a 60th birthday bash. It is in the middle of nowhere but that is what is lovely. No traffic or noise to disturb you. Local cab firms were great. The receptionist was very welcoming and very helpful. It is a beautiful old building and which has its quirks. We stayed between two wedding dates so hotel was peaceful. We would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ColandPip
lowestoft
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed in room 12 Sat 21st july 2012 and the review of Sept 2011 described it perfectly. It is without a doubt the worst room I have ever stayed in. Cleanliness does not cost much, a coat of paint and a good wipe round would help.Unfortunately I could not change rooms as the wedding party I was with had taken over the place. The website claims every room has a TV,of the guests I spoke to only 2 said there room had a TV. This website needs an overhall.
Must say the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Get married and have the bridal suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank johnlowestoft
Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed at Gissing Hall Hotel in December 2011 as my sister-in-law had her wedding reception there. I thought that all-in-all the hotel did a great job, we had the majority of the wedding photos taken at the hotel as it was very cold to be standing outside a chuch at that time of year adn the staff were very accommodating. We then moved into the for the meal and speeches etc. It was decorated beautifully and very well set out although it was rather cold (but that is to be expected at that time of year)! The food was served relatively quickly and the staff were all very polite and friendly, some of the people who got served last did mention that there food was cold although I did not have this problem. I suffer from Coeliac Disease (a gluten and wheat intolerence) so therefore had to have my meal altered slightly from everyone elses and be made separately. This seemed to be no trouble whatsoever for the caterers, whereas in past experiences at other places I won't be served until after everyone else or I will be served before everyone else (sometimes even given a bit of a cop-out or an entirely different meal) I was served how I should have been, at the same time as everyone else on my table, and I was given an almost identical meal to the others with just a few substitutes in the ingredients. For desert, instead of just being given ice cream which seems to be what quite a few restaurants/hotels do (the easy option), I was given a specially made apple crumble so I could have the same as everyone else but just gluten free! I was extremely impressed with the meal as a whole and nothing seemed like too much trouble for the staff. The bar staff were also very friendly and helpful, and the evening disco was brilliant too. My partner and I had a huge room with a four poster bed and a large bathroom. It was nice and fitted in well with the older style of the hotel although I think some improvements could be made. In winter it gets very cold in the rooms and the fact that we only had one tiny heater on one of the walls didn't help matters, we had the radiator turned up fully but it just wasn't enough to heat the size of the room and it was extremely cold. We also had a problem the next morning when there wasn't any hot water for the bath, however my partner did make a complaint to reception and they gave us a bit of money off our bill without a problem which was nice. Overall I think that for a wedding reception, Gissing Hall Hotel was a perfect venue and I would reccommend it, although I don't think that I would personally stay there for anything else as it is rather secluded and there isn't really anything to do at the hotel or nearby.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank FuTuReSaiLoR01
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Travelled as a couple.

Overall the hotel is good.

Lovely building, set in nice grounds, in a very remote location. Don't come here if you're expecting local ammenities, as the closet real town in Diss about 15 minute drive away. Great to escape the city however!

The hotel is a bit hit and miss though, with some areas recently renovated and looking great (named rooms and bar) and others requiring alot of tlc. Our room was large and spacious, but the jacuzzi bath didn't work, some windows didn't shut properly and the bed was extremely creaky!

Staff are great and attentive when they're there, but again a bit hit and miss, as they tend to be absent when you need them, which can be a bit awkward.

Having said this, the price point is quite reasonable with rooms starting at £45 for a single room or £60 for a double (correct march 2012).

Breakfast is alright, although the bacon was overdone, this is probably my personal preference. My wife ordered a breakfast and the waitress simply didn't take her order? Another example of hit and miss staffing.

Overall, a nice hotel- although possibly not your thing if you are a little more picky than we are!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Dishonoured
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diss
Scole Inn
#10 of 16 in Diss
Strenneth
Strenneth
#1 of 1 in Fersfield

Been to Gissing Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!