“awesome venue”
Review of Gissing Hall Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Diss
Gissing Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Diss
Reviewed 10 December 2013

we hired the hall for a double-birthday weekend - and had the time of our lives. we had 60 guests & i think/hope they all had a blast - profusely thankful to our great hosts at gissing hall.

it's an incredible old building - a glorious pile - in a wonderful setting, surrounded by gorgeous countryside, with amazng spaces and rooms.
it won't be to everyone's taste - parts are under construction, and others currently in a state of disrepair, some of its glories slightly faded.
but that adds to the charm, and liberates guests to enjoy a less stiff, less formal fantasy weekend away.

the hosts worked very hard to give us a great time and meet our every wish.
we'll remember this weekend fondly for the rest of our lives.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank alexhaw
There are newer reviews for Gissing Hall Hotel

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Where to start... Arrived for a friends wedding having been told they had lost our previous booking for a room and they were fully booked. (not convenient living 300 miles away). Luckily to our great relief, the owner had keys to the next door neighbours house who was away on holiday or the option of a broken old caravan at the bottom of a field.. We took the option of the neighbours house which was a a room with a bed in it we had to share between 3 people. Oh and to top matters off we were charged £100 for the pleasure. Ironically after looking at the hotel and hearing feedback from other guests we pulled the longest straw as it was atleast dry, warm, secure and clean.
The highlight of the wedding wasnt waiting 2 hours for my desert, it was nipping back to the house to use the toilet (all the toilets were out of use in the hotel or had no paper...) to find a returning house owner who was pleasantly surprised to find a stranger taking a dump in his toilet!!!
This really is no joke, if it wasnt for the great amounts of alcohol and and being around friends, it may have been more of a concern. I would advise anyone if you want to have the biggest laugh of your life, check this place out. Give Martha some love on the desk she is pretty cool and is pretty straight up about the place.

Room Tip: The local pub isnt any better, may be worth risking the old rotten caravan at the bottom of the fiel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Chesney P
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I had the most amazing weekend at Gissing Hall! Thanks to the hosts who made us feel welcomed and at home..

The rooms are dreamy, pretty décor and out of a movie! Albeit some of the areas in the manor are under renovation, the bedroom we stayed in (no 6) had the prettiest 4 poster bed, softest bed sheets and mattress, was so comfortable, huge and had a Jacuzzi bathtub!

Ok so some things may need some work and there seems to be a lot happening there for renovations currently, however we never heard building noises (just the deafening lovely silence of the countryside!) or were inconvenienced by any works….

In regards to weddings its sad …but I’m sure the handover from the old owners to the new owners must have had a big part to play… Because our weekend “retreat” and party (with 3 course meal and great entertainment) for almost 40 people went swimmingly well!

The grounds and surrounding areas are great for walks, cycling, there’s air gliding around too for the extremely adventurous! Its romantic for couples, inspiring for writers, rich in colour and nature for painters, and so exquisitely quaint and “old” for photographers… There’s a real GRAMAPHONE which I loved when they played for us!
Their modern take on country house hosting was perfectly illustrated by the lovely entertainment: a local musicians and a hula hoop troupe!

Their interest in sustainability and locally sourced produce is also to admire… We went to a local gardener which had sourced the veg etc we ate at the dinner! She also plants edible flowers and has chickens - so cute… The community has accepted Gissing Hall as local partners and neighbours perfectly … And I can definitely see why!

So if you find a crack in the ceiling… I mean… Gissing Hall is a listed fifteenth century mansion… I can live with that when I’m surrounded by such authenticity and genuine antiques, history and contemporary taste… well a crack is the least of my worries!

In the 2 days spent there, I found that instead of empty subservience and shallow superficial “costumer service” I felt I was part of an experience and a very special place thats integrated and warmingly welcoming…
Hosts were addressing issues promptly and courteously, trying to cater for any needs, and going out of heir way to resolve an issue …
Looking forward to going there again… but now more looking into booking yoga retreats, drama workshops... lets see!

Room Tip: Albeit some of the areas in the manor are under renovation, the bedrooms are great! We stayed in (no...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank 390sofiam
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Firstly we planned to have our wedding here when it was owned by the previous owners, all was going well.... Then Steve and Martha took over! Our wedding was in June, and around March/April we were trying to get hold of the new owners to find out what is going to happen at our wedding. We tried for around 3 weeks via phone and email with NO answers. We finally got hold of them and they didn't really have a clue what we were on about. They found our records which apparently were vague so we had to have a meeting with them to get the up to date and aware of what we had planned. Had the meeting with them, neither were very welcoming and it was clear they had not had much experience of wedding planning. I was then inundated with emails daily from Martha asking questions on things which we had already been over and sorted at the meeting! We were also denied a menu sampling session because originally it was included in our price with the old owners but the new owners didn't want to honour this and wanted an extra £100.... but we declined and we were promised this wonderful chef they had, we could see all his c.v and reference's etc so we went along with that and assumed we would have him for the day, as promised... I will come back to this point later. We were trying to pay off the rest of the wedding too but we couldn't contact any one yet again, when we did get hold of someone and paid off the rest of our balance, I got an "updated" invoice from Martha which was dated for last year, did not even have the deposit on which we paid to the old owners and it was a total sham even though she had told me she received our payments and confirmed the amounts the day before. When I email Martha back asking for an actual accurate invoice she basically told us she couldn't be bothered to deal with us anymore and to send all enquiries to Steve instead. Also our guests which were trying to book rooms at the hotel for the night had a terrible time trying to get hold of someone to book a room, then when they did (many by email because that's what Steve and Martha preferred for of contact) they were told yes and that Martha would call them back to take a deposit but she didn't, no one knew if they had rooms or not and in the end we discouraged our guests from booking here. Sadly it was too late to chose a different (better ran) venue! SO the big day got here and we spent the day before decorating the hall and setting up tables... which my mother (an experienced events manager) had to set up, no help from any staff at Gissing (because they didn't have any on) or the owners. Once we arrived at the hall on our wedding day for our wedding breakfast it seemed fine, our guests had drinks and finger food on arrival but when asking the serving staff what were on the trays the reply was "I don't know chef don't tell me". We finally get to sit down for our wedding breakfast and the guests get seated, Martha seems to have no idea what she is doing and constantly looks to my mother for guidance. Everyone's starter arrived at different times. We even had people's menu choices included in their place names and thank god we did otherwise the staff would of be totally lost as to who was having what. Our starters were missing elements such as sauces and side accompaniments which they were suppose to come with, we then had to wait about an hour for our main course, no one seemed to be keeping an eye on the room (we only had 25 guests for the meal!) so after a long wait and guests getting restless, one of my family members had to go to the kitchen to 'hurry things up' where they were told 'oh we thought we would give you some extra time'... after another half hour our mains arrived, some bits cold, some veg hard. Then 45 minuets and 2 more trips to the kitchen later by my husband our desserts arrived.. we still needed to have coffee and do the speeches. By this time some of our evening guests had started to arrive and the evenings entertainment who needed to start setting up. Finally the meal was over and by which time we learnt THE SUPER AMAZING CHEF WE WERE PROMISED AND THEY RAVED ABOUT HAD DITCHED THEM FOR A BETTER OFFER AND ALL THEY HAD WERE LAST MINUET AGENCY STAFF! Our room for the night was clean enough but the next morning when we went down for breakfast, it was unorganised and seemed to be being served by one of the owners aging mother which seemed unfair on her. There was a long wait for the cooked breakfast and there was only 8 of us for breakfast! As we were tidying up the owners made no attempt to talk to us and carried on about their day, having breakfast and coffee outside as if we were still there getting in their way. It's such a shame because the building itself is lovely, just the people REALLY let it down.

Room Tip: Go some where else!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank Noodle101
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Our weekend in Gissing Hall was the nicest in ages: Martha and the rest of the staff are naturally helpful and extremely polite; I wish every hotel I go had the same type of people in charge!! I am planning to go back soon. The rooms and the service are top quality, but not the price! The place is absolutely amazing, an architectural gem, and its surrounded by the quietest and prettiest country side, only short drive / train from London, amazing. I really recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank carlosmol
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed recently for the weekend for a birthday party. The manor house has a lot of character, and I recommend room no.9, great four poster bed and views over the fields. You also get views of the fields from the bathtub in the bathroom. The property has a lot of character and the new owners are doing their best to upgrade from previous owners. Looking forward to my next visit, lovely lawn and lots of outdour space to take in the sunshine and the country air. Service was good and we enjoyed our dinner and breakfast, served outside, very much. Both hosts a delight!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank WillieScottI
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We weren't too sure what to expect before arriving, but we discovered a beautiful grade 2 listed country manor, set in stunning peaceful countryside, and with a very relaxed and arty vibe around the place. There's the odd niggle here and there - as you'd expect in a building of that age - but we like a place with lots of character and they're hard to find these days so we were happy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leo H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Diss
Best Western Brome Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eye
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#9 of 15 in Diss

Been to Gissing Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!