“Fantastic to see such a busy village pub”
Review of The Chequers Inn

The Chequers Inn
Ranked #3 of 41 Restaurants in Fakenham
Price range: US$9 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Fantastic to see such a busy village pub”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We had a lovely meal at this great pub in the pretty village of Binham, you have to book as it is really popular.

The menu is lovely and we enjoyed all the games that are available being slightly obsessed with card game Rummy and Snakes & Ladders! Service is slow but excellent in that the staff are just lovely and our waitress coped brilliantly with me as I was very much looking forward to my apple and blackberry crumble as on the pudding board but when it arrived it was rhubarb and I was really disappointed ! Fantastic customer service and apologies and she would have swapped it for something else but I ate it anyway and it was delicious. Similarly when my daughters treacle sponge turned up with unasked for custard, it was sorted out immediately, no fuss and heaps of charm.

Nice seating area outside for warmer days. Would definitely go back if we are up this way again. The locals are very lucky!

• Visited August 2014

Bromley, United Kingdom
“Very slow service”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The service was very slow, and the food was only average; certainly not worth the very long wait.

I chose linguine which would have been OK if it weren't packed with capers. I guess you either love or hate capers, but 72 in a serving is a tad too many, especially if like me you don't like them

Visited August 2014
2 Thank StewitP
Corby, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food matched by friendly service.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I visited The Chequers Inn with my family (wife, child & teenager) on the recommendation of someone who had previously stayed at the holiday cottage we were using in the area. We arrived at about 6:00pm and were quickly served by the very friendly staff. I treated myself to one of the locally brewed ales that was available from the bar, which turned out to be the second good decision I'd made that evening, the first being to visit The Chequers Inn. My third good choice was to select the steak from the dinner menu. I rarely choose steak in this country as I've always struggled to find somewhere that can prepare them to the standard I've encountered in the US. On this occasion, however, I decided to take a chance and wasn't disappointed: I enjoyed one of the nicest steaks I've ever had. My wife chose the lamb which turned out to be so good that she's still talking about it today!
The pub started to get very busy from about 6:30pm onwards, (never a bad sign of course), so I'd recommend that visitors get there beforehand if you want a table.
Overall our visit to The Chequers Inn proved to be very good value for money and, more importantly, a source of excellent food and drink.

• Visited July 2014
“Amazing food, brilliant service not a bad word to say.”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My husband, 3 month old and myself decided to stop off for an evening meal here. The food was outstanding, there was a good selection of wine and beer including good local ales and the customer service was faultless. The new owners are doing a fantastic job. As locals we feel so lucky to have this pub on our door step :-) what a gem we have found. We will be visiting time and time again to this beautiful country pub :-)

• Visited August 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great little country pub, good value for money”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Decided to visit for an evening meal as the pub was only 5 minutes drive from the cottage we were staying in at Langham. We tried to find a sample menu online beforehand but the website and Facebook page did not have any details. However, we decided to give it a go and were not disappointed. Even on a Thursday night, the pub was full and there was a good atmosphere. There were plenty of choices on the menu with main meals priced around £10-15, which made it good value for money. My wife and I tried the steak and ale pie and tandoori chicken, then chocolate brownie for dessert. Great food, nice local beers and friendly service. If we were ever in the area again, would definitely go back.

• Visited June 2014