“Really good food slightly overpriced”

The Watermark Wine Bar & Restaurant
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
“Really good food slightly overpriced”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Both food and service are excellent in this restaurant. I will definitely go again. The crab spring rolls were delicious. The pasta and pizza also looks particularly good. I felt my salad was rather overpriced however, and that's the only reason I've given four rather than five stars.

1 Thank Touringmuso8

Leeds
“Insubstantial lunch”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I chose The Watermark for lunch on a recent trip to Holt because of the pleasant terrace out the back and because it offered something a little more interesting and sophisticated than paninis and quiche and it was to be my treat for a belated birthday celebration. The waitress was very nice and I don't recall a long wait for our order to arrive but I was shocked at the extremely skimpy portions for the price. I had a prawn and chorizo salad which had 3 prawns on top and my 3 companions had sandwiches, one of which cost £8 and the fillings in all were very meagre. One also was garnished only with half a dozen crisps while the other 2 also had a small amount of salad - shouldn't they all have been presented in the same way? I was so upset at this dreadful lack of value for money that my husband paid the bill. After this disappointing experience we continued to explore the town and realised how much else it has to offer. We'll take our business elsewhere next time

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank LulooLeeds
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent breakfast”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

good quality coffee, thickly sliced toast, delicious croissant, very nice staff. Reasonable value. Made a great change from over-priced and poor quality produce at Byfords the previous day. Only thing that needs changing at the Watermark is that, while the coffee is very good quality, they need to learn how to make a cappucicno - dense crema - not bubble rubble! Despite this would definitely go back again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank martin w
“NOT QUITE UP TO THE MARK”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

There is not a lot wrong about the food at The Watermark other than it is too expensive for mean portions and it takes far too long to get to the table. The problem is that The Watermark just doesn't know what it is. Advertised as a Wine Bar and Restaurant it falls between a rock and a hard place. The menu offers so much but fails to deliver. There are no designated starters but 'light bites' of which the chicken wings were not available on a Sunday lunchtime. We ordered calamari and crab wontons and waited 25 minutes to be served 3 rings of squid and 3 wontons per portion. This would have been acceptable if there had been any other diners but apart from a couple of tables outside having coffee or drinks we were the only people eating inside. The main courses were equally disappointing. The chips were anaemic and the beans with the tiny Thai fish cakes were just short of raw. Service was OK but just so slow and lacking enthusiasm. In conclusion, The Watermark needs to decide what it is. Presently it offers nothing to entice Sunday Lunch diners.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Pepita S
Norfolk
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been a couple of times recently; once to their Italian evening and last Saturday evening for dinner. My friend and I are vegetarian and were given a separate menu just for vegetarian food. The choice was very good and not the usual pasta bake or lasagne stuff. We had the mushroom, blue cheese and spinach Wellington on broccoli and it was excellent. The staff are very helpful and friendly - attentive without being intrusive. Linen napkins, too!
Obviously I can't comment on the meat dishes but from what I saw being served at the adjacent table, it was all very well presented and the comments passed were good.

• Visited July 2014