“Good room, friendly service”

and 1 more site!
Kings Head Holt B&B
Ranked #25 of 27 Holt B&B and Inns
Arnold, United Kingdom
“Good room, friendly service”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This pub has 3 rooms 2 of which can be either B&B or self catering. We chose to stay on a self catering basis. On arrival we were given a friendly greeting and given helpful advice regarding parking which is difficult but not impossible if you are prepared to walk for a few minutes. The room is a reasonable size with a well equipped kitchen and underfloor heating. Although we could find a few minor faults, for the price we paid we were very happy. Although it is self catering, bedding, towels, shower gel, shampoo & tea,coffee etc were all provided. The room we stayed(room 2) in had hardly any noise from the pub, although I think if you stayed in room one over the bar it would be much noisier. We ate there on one night and the food was good with generous portions. The tapas is well worth a try and be careful not to over order as there is plenty on the plates!
The pub is owned by the nearby Byfords restaurant and I needed to contact them after returning home as I had left some shoes behind. They refused any offer of us paying postage and posted them to me free of charge-great customer service and a special thankyou to them.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbet55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stayed with our son and family. Staff are very friendly and we found the rooms spacious and very tastefully decorated. We had a meal in the restaurant and again, could not fault it - altho it wasn't very warm but it was a very cold night and the restaurant has a lot of large glass windows. HOWEVER we were in room 1 and the music was incredibly loud, we had expected that it would stop at 11pm or shortly after as this is when the literature says that the pub closes. Unfortunately it went on until 1am and was so loud it was impossible to sleep. Fortunately our son and young family were in room 2 which is across the other side of the pub and did not experience the loud thud thud of music that we did, just banging of doors. We also had no hot water in the morning in room 1 but they had no problem in room 2. I am booked in to stay with my niece in May in room 3 which is the same side as room 2 so am hoping for a better experience. Breakfast at Byfords across the road however is spectacular!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 - no hot water in the morning and very noisy till very late
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Codnor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Stopped here for a week with work, initial gripe with no parking, but the budgens carpark is free after six and cheap before that. Ate in Steak one night and had "the mother burger" struggled to finish it, very tasty and well cooked. Bar has a great selection of real ales. Room was comfy and everything looked brand new, my room had a kitchen which was perfect as i was up and out by 7am every day. I would have given a full score if the parking wasn't an issue.

Room Tip: its above a pub... theres going to be a bit of noise however it seems that room 1 is over the more n...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank nmp_123
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed in room 3 for two nights from 23/12/2012.

The staff, location and overall comfort were impeccable. However, if you aren't young, fit and without aches and pains, then be weary of the following statement from their website:

"Luxury 6ft double beds. We had these tailor made featuring sprung divan and pocket sprung mattresses for a fantastic night sleep".

The mattresses were relatively cheap. I weigh 15 stone (96kg) and 6ft tall. When I sat up in bed, my backside was touching the hard'ish base. There was little moulding to my body when laying down and one or more mattress buttons were missing resulting in the sharp part digging into me every time I rolled over.

Considering the cost, the overall portrayal of luxury and the above statement, I had no reason to assume that the bed would not be at least to my luxury mattress at home (Vi-Spring).

Just check with the owners first who I did pass my comments onto.

Otherwise, highly recommened!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markinaboat
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at the Kings Head for one night whilst on business in Holt and was really surprised at the quality of the accommodation. The building has real old English charm and this is captured in the room (room 3 in my case) with its 3 different floor levels - this is something with which you need to familiarise yourself before a trip to the bathroom in the early hours catches you out! - and characterful decor and fittings.

The rooms are a bolt-on to the pub business and so breakfast is taken in the nearby "Byfords" which is only a few paces away across the High Street. The breakfast was wonderful and included the best croissants I've ever tasted. Unfortunately I couldn't really take advantage of the breakfast as I was still full from the fantastic fillet steak at the Kings Head the previous evening! The bedroom itself was spacious, very clean, very well decorated and contained the best selection of teas and filter coffee I've seen in a hotel at this price. Milk needs to be collected from the bar so make sure you get some before it closes otherwise you might not be able to get any at all. My room was overlooking the High Street so there was a fair amount of traffic noise but not enough to bother me unduly. Others might not find it so comfortable if the weather is hot and the window open. The bathroom is large and clean and attractively decorated and good quality toiletries are provided.

Holt is an ancient place and therefore as is often the case with these places, parking is at a premium but shouldn't cause too many problems.

Room Tip: The nature of an old building means it may not be suitable for the less mobile so it would be best t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed in room 1 on Wedneday 11th July having booked online via the Byfords website. This was the only room showing as avaiable; it looks beautiful on the website and I was thrilled to be able to stay in town. I arrived a little later than planned (aprox 7.30 pm) and upon realising there was no reception, waited my turn in the busy bar to 'check in'. I was shown to my room whereby I was told 'this is the noisiest room in the building but I will try to get the locals to keep the noise down a bit'! Great! What a welcome.
In fairness, she wasn't wrong. Doors were constantly slamming and the noise from the bar (directly below me) continued on until aproximately midnight. I was then treated to what sounded like the hand pulls being constantly pulled (for cleaning) for another good half an hour or more. I had driven five hours to get to Holt and although I don't expect silence, it would have been nice to be able to go to bed by 11pm without feeling I was being joined by half of the local population. The room was beautifully decorated but they just haven't got it quite right, I would urge you to reconsider should you have the option of staying in this room. There was no information pack in the room so I had to go to the bar to see if they had an internet connection (they do and it's free), no milk to go with the better than average selection of drinks (nor a biscuit). The stripped floors are very attractive but combined wth the quirky old furniture, they ensured that even the smallest movement made the chest of drawers and the wardrobe doors rattle. In the morning I found I was locked in and eventually managed to find a door through the rear dining room to enable me to go across the road to Byford where breakfast is served. Breakfast was nice with a good selection on the cooked menu. I travel A LOT and Byfords/The King's Head is good but I don't feel they are as good as they think they are. I certainly wouldn't class the King's Head as Posh B & B.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2012

You take over a characterful pub in an attractive market town. You might renovate the upstairs rooms, offer premium B and B (at upmarket but not unreasonable prices), perhaps create a nice restaurant. Or you might aim to put the pub at the centre of the town's nightlife, with loud music until late, a raucous games bar and revellers who leave noisily in the early hours of the morning. Unfortunately the management of the King's Head seem to have tried to do both - which is a pity, because this B and B has a lot going for it: roomy accommodation, top-notch bathrooms, exceptionally comfortable beds and a superb breakfast at Byfords restaurant across the street. But if you can't get to sleep until after 1.00 am - as happened to us on Friday 22 June 2012, in Room 1, right over the games bar - it rather overshadows the plusses. It may be that this is only a problem at weekends, but I'd be reluctant to risk it. Far better to pay a bit extra and stay at the accommodation offered (by the same management) at Byfords itself.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holt
The Lawns Hotel
#16 of 27 in Holt
Byfords
Byfords
#2 of 27 in Holt

Been to Kings Head Holt B&B? Share your experiences!