“A very lovely addition to Holt”
Review of The Folly Tearoom

The Folly Tearoom
Ranked #2 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Holt
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“A very lovely addition to Holt”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was a little apprehensive to suggest eating here for lunch, having read a few very negative reviews on tripadvisor some time ago, but the lovely little courtyard tea room at the end of one of Holt's recently revived back streets/yards had been intriguing me since its opening.
We walked into the gate to be greeted by a sign asking us to wait to be seated. We had initially only wandered in a way to check the menu to see if it would be suitable for lunch but seeing no sign of a preview we decided to continue anyway (after glancing at a table eating something suitably lunch-like and being approached so quickly). We were seated in the lovely walled garden. It was clear a lot of attention to detail had been paid - the chairs and tables were Lloyd Loom garden furniture, there were large sunshades with dangly sparkles, the courtyard had been paved and planted in a classic cottage garden style. After perusing the very impressive tea menu, I ordered a hibiscus tea and my mum ordered a standard tea. We were left with the menu board while our drinks were fetched. The menu offered an assortment of light lunches - a variety of flavours of home made quiches, salads and tarts. I ordered the special which was baked figs stuffed with goats cheese and wrapped in parma ham. My mum ordered crab salad.
Our drinks arrived in true vintage tea cups. Everything had been thought of - we even got little dishes to place the tea strainer from the tea pot once our tea had reached the desired strength. At £2 a pot, I thought the tea was very good value considering it was loose leaf. My mum had also ordered some tap water which arrived in a beautiful cut glass jug complete with ice and a lemon and two glasses.
There was a short wait for the food but we were not unhappy with this - they were quite busy and it was a lovely day in a beautiful place so we were quite happy just to chat and drink our tea. When the food arrived, it was beautifully presented on vintage plates. I had 3 large baked figs surrounded by a mixed leaf salad with cornichons, sliced radishes, semi dried tomatoes and parmesan shavings. My mum's crab salad came with new potatoes and bread and was equally impressive I'm told. The flavours mixed well and tasted amazing.
The server we had was efficient and friendly and very attentive to our needs. She offered to put our sunshade up for us should we need it.
When we had finished, it seemed quite busy and we didn't have time to wait around really so we nipped inside to pay at the counter. Inside, the décor was a bit OTT shabby chic/granny vintage for my liking but it was still nice they had put so much effort in. It was lovely and light and quite cool on such a hot day, thanks to the bi-fold doors being open. I had a look at the cakes although I didn't have the pleasure of trying any. They looked delicious (especially the lemon, blueberry & basil cheesecake!) and they had a gluten-free option available too. I'm not sure if we were supposed to pay at the counter - we hadn't observed anyone paying outside. It was a little cramped to do so though. We paid with different servers than we had and they were a bit unsure - they didn't seem to know where our order was written or the prices of their dishes.
The only negative I can note is that we had been specifically seated at a table which had 4 seats, even though there was a table with 2 seats available. We were fine with this, but a group of 4 arrived at one point - I'm not sure if they had been seated at the other table or had just walked in and seated themselves, but it felt very uncomfortable while they kept pointing at us and standing there because they didn't have enough seats, until a waitress attended to them and came and took our spare chairs. This and our experience paying were the only signs that they were a little disorganised at times, but they are still quite a new tea room and they have clearly learnt from some of their earlier mistakes (/bad reviews).
At just over £10 each for a delicious lunch and speciality tea in a lovely setting, we both agreed we would happily dine there again!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Caroline C

Gloucestershire
“Worst scone for several years!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were directed to this tea room from a nearby shop and thought it'd be ideal: proper china plates and cups, cloth napkins, the works! The tea was fine but oh dear, the scone! It crumbled into 20 or more pieces as I tried to cut it open to add butter. After trying to eat the resulting mess, we complained and to be fair they said they would not charge for the scone, but they seemed surprised that I had complained.

It was either a poor recipe or (more likely) old or had been stored poorly.

The tea room lost out though because on a later visit to Holt for tea and then lunch, we went elsewhere.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Neil C
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
“Trio of scones for breakfast ... don't mind if i do ...”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Brilliant start to a day ... we enjoyed a wonderful tasty trio of scones with hot tea and loads of wonderful butter ... the china was delicate and décor a delight to sit in.
worth another visit I should say so lots to try on the menu - well done

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sarah S
“Beautiful location, disappointing service!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We came in search of this tearoom after a recommendation of my grandmother. When we arrived we asked at the desk for a table and we were told to take a seat wherever we pleased and someone would be over shortly. We found a table outside in the beautiful garden and waited for 15 minutes before we were served. And by served I mean asked quite abruptly if we were ready to order, so we asked if it would be possible to see some menus first!! Our flustered waitress brought us only one menu, which she said could be shared between two of us when there were three of us (all adults) at the table, and the lunch board, which she angled against my chair so that I couldn't read it. She then stayed with us trying to rush an order out, proceeding to make comments such as this can be shared between two, basically not acknowledging my presence. My mother then asked if it would be large enough to share between three and suddenly my presence was noticed. We ordered the afternoon tea and some drinks, which came after 5 minutes. However we had to wait 20 minutes for our "afternoon tea" of which we had already drank most of the tea! The food was nice, not quite enough for 3, but thankfully we weren't too hungry. Once finished we paid our bill and left. Overall it seems as though it was a project which has been beautifully designed, but the person had no previous background in service and hospitality, hence it not being run very efficiently!! Would return if staffing and staff training improved!

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Elizabeth C
Coventry
“Delightful tearoom”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Whilst on a family holiday in Holt, my wife and I slipped off for a quiet breakfast and enjoyed it tremendously. I will being going back as soon as possible.

Visited August 2013