“Amazing food, poor service.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Morston Hall Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Holt
Price range: US$63 - US$114
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, poor service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Ate here on a Monday night as we were in Norfolk for a two night break, this was meant to be the highlight of the trip, tasting menu, Michelin star restaurant, beautiful location.
Now, i cant fault the food, the menu was 8 courses, all cooked fantastically, wonderful flavours, gorgeous presentation, and as i am a VERY fussy eater it is very rare i say this! The location was very pretty, nice big building, clean & simple.
Moving on to what i thought really let the place down, and made the evening memorable for all the wrong reasons, was the service. When we walked through the door, no one on reception just a girl wandering around, after establishing that we had a table for two, we where told to lead the way to the lounge, bearing in mind we had never been there so had no idea where it was, we noticed that all the guests where asked what they wanted to drink before they even sat down, so obviously got their drinks fairly fast, however we wanted to look at the drinks list, after 2 mins we had chosen and didn't get to order for another 5 mins, the drinks took ages to come, and i cant say i was a huge fan of the Bellini i was given, lumpy bits of peach puree (homemade?) floating about! however my partners Mosocow Mule was lovely (although there was no garnish and it was served in a whiskey tumbler)
We ordered some wine, and was then informed that they didn't have the wine we wanted, not a big issue, i understand sometimes as an establishment you run out of stock, but at least 2 other tables were informed that they didn't have the wine they wanted either (different ones to what we ordered)

Everyone sat at their tables at the same time, not great but i didn't mind too much, the sommelier came over with the wine (GORGEOUS WINE!) and without asking if it was the right one, or if we wanted to try it, poured it for us, and left leaving it backwards so we couldn't even see the label. (this was the last time we saw the sommelier, he never came to pour our wine again) the water at the table was not poured for us either, and normally I don't mind, but at the prices we were paying i did expect to be looked after.

Food was beautiful, however the staff had trouble explaining what they were to us as they where all so nervous and couldn't get their words out.
at the end of the meal i clearly let the waiter know that we wanted 15 mins before coffees and petit fours (all the food had come out with barely 5 min breaks in between) as we wanted to go for a cigarette. all fine. however on return we discovered that our wine glasses had been cleared and the wine chucked away! it was replaced, but with a much cheaper house wine.
i mentioned all this to the only good waiter there on departure (lovely young man, a shining light in amongst all the other terrified staff, just wish we could have been served by him more) and he informed me that all the staff were weeks new, fair enough, but as a Michelin star place you would expect them to hire people that know what they are doing... overall, i feel that this evening was average, and not of the Michelin standard i had expected.. (or the price)

• Visited March 2014

Harpenden
“I'm sorry to interrupt you but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Norfolk Comparison
Sitting in the Neptune, conscious that I was visiting Morston Hall the following night, I thought about doing this comparison between Norfolk’s two Michelin starred restaurants. I was anxious to present the comparison fairly, and ensure that I didn’t give an incorrect impression by favouring one that the other was no good. That was before I’d completed both visits.

I’m sorry to interrupt you but…
…that was what the teenage waiting staff at Morston Hall would repeatedly interject as they slammed a series of courses in front of us at breakneck speed, explaining the content of each course barely intelligibly and with very little interest or emotional connection with the dishes served. Kevin, the chef at the Neptune, served the dishes himself, providing an encyclopaedic background to each and engaging with us in the opportunities for variation in the home kitchen.

I’m sorry to interrupt you but…
The content of the Morston Hall tasting menu, to be honest, was somewhat appealing, particularly the guinea fowl in lobster bisque and the truffled celeriac. You could see why they would win a star in the 1990s, when confining your cheese board to the UK would still satisfy a chauvinist audience. At the Neptune, no surprise the star was won in 2013. Despite a staff of two, creativity was at its peak with a lovely and delicate beetroot biscuit canapé, the novel approach to French onion soup and a fantastic ballotine of lemon sole. The theatrical chocolate dessert sealed it.

I’m sorry to interrupt you but…
Michelin are to be congratulated on finding and selecting Kevin and Jackie at the Neptune. I'm not entirely sure why they decided to continue to recognise Morston Hall. There is an expectation these days that a single star means a degree of innovation and a cosmopolitan reach. This 1990s little england performance doesn't quite cut it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Norwich, United Kingdom
“...had a bowl of corn flakes.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

...It was an exciting anniversary that I had been planning for ages to celebrate a special anniversary. Morston Hall was first on my list as we have always spent many delightful weeks up in North Norfolk with family or friends. In the past we have rented cottages, camped, you name it, we have done it. However on this occasion I wanted my wife to be pampered in style and treated like a princess. Our room was lovely. Reception staff were very professional and welcoming, and the gin and tonic pre dinner was just the ticket to get us in the mood for fine dining. Once in the restaurant however, things took a tumble. We were ushered into a corner away from any atmosphere and somewhat ignored. Nobody seemed to realise we were there. The food eventually came and could only be witnessed through a magnifying glass. It was consumed somewhat rapidly by us both due to not only the portion size but the fact we had waited for ages to order. The only suggestion that I could make to my wife was that the Michelin Star should have been placed on a rubber tyre and not on our special occasion. Just as an after thought, we were so hungry after our meal that we lay in bed.. on our special anniversary night with hunger pains... fantasizing about a bowl of cornflakes.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank davidhenry66
norfolk
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Had a wonderful meal last night at Morston Hall along with the 'Wine Flight' which was different wines recommended by the excellent informative Sommelier with each course. Each course was delicious and beautifully presented and I thought excellent value for money. I highly recommend a night out here, you won't be disappointed.

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Superb accommodation and service, disappointing food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Having been looking forward to visiting this establishment for a long time I was very disappointed with the six course set meal (no choice) that was served.
Whilst the quality of all the food served was very good, the presentation was not exceptional and the size of most of the portions was ridiculously small. Roasted breast of lamb was presented as a tiny "trimming" of breast, smaller than my little finger!
However, the overall atmosphere of the hotel is very pleasant, the bedrooms are spacious and well appointed and the staff are very friendly and attentive.
I suspect Galton Blackiston does not spend as much time at Morston Hall these days as he used to!

• 4 of 5 bubbles