“Superlative service, great nosh and a fair price: Morston has it all”

Morston Hall Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Holt
Price range: US$63 - US$114
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
London, England, United Kingdom
“Superlative service, great nosh and a fair price: Morston has it all”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I'm a bit green when it comes to posh nosh. The celebration of my brother's 50th was clearly an occasion that warranted splashing the cash and I'm pleased to say Morston Hall did not disappoint (and was, in fact, surprisingly reasonable). Seven courses, all of them explained fully, all of them delicious (the beef was the best I ever eaten and the fish came pretty close to heaven), great wine and a really relaxed and happy atmosphere - I couldn't fault it (except, perhaps, a poor Bloody Mary aperitif which was a stark contrast to the tastiness of everything else).

What I have to recommend to you is the difficulty we brought in the shape of gluten and lactose intolerant mother for whom the hall (with notice) catered for perfectly, taking the time to explain every detail of difference in the dishes so ensuring her inclusion in the delight of it all. The setting is beautiful - a fresh and lovably garden and a conservatory table from which to view it - and, to round it off, the staff kindly stuck a candle in a plate of petit fours and joined us in a verse of happy birthday for my aged brother - this is a ten out of ten experience and I highly commend it to you.

1 Thank 233nickb

South East England, United Kingdom
“"Our first availability is in seven months"”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I am convinced that this would be the response if this restaurant were in London!
Staff are very gracious and friendly - nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. The atmosphere is relaxed and serene, the décor and table settings are just so and the food? The food was a delight from the amuse bouche to the petit fours!

Looking for a set lunch? Go. Relax. Enjoy. You'll leave feeling you've had an elegant sufficiency (I opted in advance to go vegetarian and really, really enjoyed the dishes served in spite of seeing the meat options and being tempted!).

The icing on the cake for me was that with sun shining, we asked to go out into the garden for the tea/coffee and sat in the sun next to the smoke hut (which I at first thought was an outside toilet!). They obliged with grace and friendliness as though nothing was too much trouble.

London, United Kingdom
“a great evening”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to this restaurant to celebrate two sixtieth birthdays and we certainly had a great time. The atmosphere was very friendly and the waiting staff helpful and efficient, though not as knowledgeable about the food as I was expecting ( one chap when asked about an ingredient admitted he had not been listening when told!). Some of the courses were delicious but I must confess that the dessert was a bit disappointing and the smoked beef, though beautifully tender, did not have as much flavour as I was expecting. I was happy to try new combinations even if they sounded unlikely- the turnip, passion fruit and chive oil soup sounded awful but tasted wonderful.
An enjoyable ( but not cheap) evening

1 Thank Frannie32
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Dinner”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

A really enjoyable evening, food was every bit as good as expected. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, but also professional.

The wine flight was an added bonus.

“Champagne tea....”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Sadly the 'champagne tea' was not what was expected. Waiter looked like a rag doll, he was male, and had no idea how to 'greet', serve or clear away. One choice of sandwich became a bore... such a sheme.

3 Thank Marijke D