“A hidden gem”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We decided to visit this restaurant while on a short break to Hunstanton. We decided against the typical beach side fish and chips and to try something different. Although we had walked past this restaurant at lunch time, we had overlooked it as a good option for dinner. However, I had searched online and saw some positive reviews for Chives Brasserie and decided to give it a try.

We booked a table and being a Tuesday we were delighted to discover that Chives offers a £10 meal deal that allows you to select any pasta or pizza dish from the menu (each of which are normally over £10), a side and a drink (including small wine or half pint).

The menu is large enough to offer a good variety of dishes, but not so big that it loses focus. The menu apparently changes frequently and includes locally sourced ingredients, which is something we try to look for when we are out for a meal.

We both selected different pasta dishes and both of those dishes were delicious and generous in their portion size. We had a great time and the meal also offered high value for money, which considering the quality was really a surprise. I almost felt guilty when the bill came.

I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great dinner in Hunstanton, which does not really have a wealth of options. I recommend booking ahead, as the place was very busy when we went.

1  Thank taucias

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Cucinare è una forma d'amore (translation: Cooking is love made visible) This is so true when one samples their menu.

The restaurant is located on the high street and not far from the beach. However, it has a formal atmosphere so shall I suggest a bit of appropriate dressing would be advisable, it will go well with the ambiance.

On a Sunday evening the restaurant was buzzing and running almost to its full capacity. We made reservation despite being a regular because we know it can get busy. Our table was rather awkwardly placed in the centre of the restaurant's entrance, but we were moved to a nearby table when one got available.

The menu seemed tempting and has flavours to suit most palettes. Our choice comprised of mainly veg options but their fish or seafood inspired menu appeared to be most popular. As the restaurant is near the beach it is natural to have seafood on the menu when you have nature's delicacies on its doorstep.

The presentation of our dishes was very contemporary, our pasta dishes tasted delicious with clean bold flavours. The extra touch of parmesan cheese pot was good too. It has been a while where I can comfortably say that this was one of the best Italian I have tasted outside London.

The staff were extremely accommodating and gave an excellent service with a smile. Our table was served by Lucy and she was a pleasure to be served by again always with a smile.

Our meal ended with selection of gelato and a good bottle of sangiovese.

Importantly would I be back? Definitely it was a thorough pleasure and I would definitely like to sample more of their dishes.

3  Thank richierichworld
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I visited Chives on a Tuesday night and had an excellent meal which was great value because of their Tuesday night promotion. Unsurprisingly, the place was really busy and we had to wait 30 minutes for a table. So, make sure you make a reservation if you're planning a visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We visited this venue last night and had a great night out.As we were moving my mother in law out of Hunstanton we were late diners at 9 pm.We were made most welcome by some very friendly and attentive staff.We chose the prawn cocktail and the curried chicken dish which was fab.
The shiraz was very good and we finished with coffee and a cognac.
This bistro is highly recommended.We will make a return visit.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The staff were very attentive and friendly. The Brasserie is quite small but makes for a nice cosy atmosphere with the right amount of background noise. The food was excellent and the Wines were nice. I would not hesitate to visit here again on another trip into Hunstanton.