“Michelin star quality”
Review of Morston Hall

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Morston
Morston Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Morston
Reviewed 5 August 2014

As far as I am aware of the restaurant at Morston Hall is one of only two Michelin starred restaurants in Norfolk and this was my first visit for Sunday lunch.
The restaurant only serves lunch on Sunday's and is booked well in advance. Lunch is 12:15 for 1 PM with one sitting.
I had booked a table for 12 to celebrate my son's birthday and unfortunately not everyone was able to arrive on time and we were rather pressured by the restaurant management to sit down before everyone had arrived. This was rather stressful, but overall didn't spoil the enjoyment of lunch which was excellent.
I would certainly return for a meal at another time, but would not try to organise a table for 12 again!
Before the meal in the conservatory and also afterwards for coffee was very relaxing and the kitchen had prepared a very nice birthday cake for my son which everyone enjoyed overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DubaiPaul352

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked Sunday lunch here for my birthday but wondered if it was going to be a bit stuffy. It was fantastically relaxed and we felt really looked after. Lots of lovely staff on hand. We had a great afternoon and I'll definitely go back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We popped up to North Norfolk specifically to try the restaurant out having spent many holidays in North Norfolk but never getting round to having dinner here.

On arriving we were warmly greeted and taken to the lounge area. The room was well decorated and the seating and tables were set well apart which was reflected in the dining room. This is something we seek as I don't want to be part of anybody else's dinner party and I am sure they don't want to be part of mine.

We started off with local Gin which was clearly a premium offering as reflected by the purchase price of a bottle. Please, if uncertain clarify the investment in this drink as it is not a standard gin and not at a standard price.

We opted for the "Wine Flight" as first timers we wanted to experience the full menu the restaurant had to offer. The Sommelier was confident, knowledgeable and entertaining, which added to the evenings experience and introduced us to some new and very pleasant wines.

The food met up to our expectations which were high based on Galton's reputation and awards. It was presented beautifully and each plate was described to us. The stand out dish, if I can suggest one would be the Sage Roasted Celeriac. The menu changes daily but this is a true winner.

A minor gripe. At one point the food came a little quickly but this was soon put right when I confirmed we were in rush to finish our evening.

In a nutshell, very fine food and wine in a well laid out dining room. We will be recommending the venue to friends visiting this part of Norfolk.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is just an hotel review. Another review is under restaurants. This hotel is just bliss. When can we go back? Where do I begin? Our room in new garden rooms was perfect. We watched the rabbits from our window. All the goodies in the room. Plus tv in bathroom. Huge comfy bed. Patio. Fireplace too. Very sophisticated space. Walk out of the hotel and down the track to Morston Quay. Perfect. The hotel is just the calmest, quietist, and most enjoyable space I rested my head in some 28 days on the road.
I want to go back!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 16 July 2014

NOTICE TO TRIPADVISOR CONTRIBUTORS: THIS IS FOR HOTEL REVIEWS, IF YOU ONLY EAT HERE PLEASE POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THE RESTAURANT CATEGORY. THANK YOU!

It’s rare in England to find a hotel that offers the triple whammy of a fine room, a great bathroom and good food. Morston Hall does this in an impressive way. The house is a vernacular brick’n’flint job up on the North Norfolk Coast. It has been enlarged with three conservatory-type structures and tastefully modernised throughout. It’s always been a bit on the starchy side, a bit solemn, with many men opting for jack-and-tie, even on a hot summer’s day, and maybe they should lighten up a bit and put some deck chairs and sun shades out on the lawn. But this place is head and shoulders above anywhere else along the entire North Sea coast.

Our room, Blickling, was on the first floor overlooking the lawn and herbaceous borders. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated in that taupe/Farrow & Ball style; the spotless tiled and chromatic bathroom was fabulous, with a wooden floor, a free-standing bath and walk-in shower. We also looked at Sandringham on the same floor and that was equally desirable.

The food here is the domain of Galton Blackiston who has held a single Michelin star for 15 years. He has always offered a no-choice menu which, personally, I dislike as I enjoy reading a proper menu and making a choice of dishes. A no-choice set menu strikes me as being done for the convenience of the chef and not for the pleasure of the diner.

Morston Hall currently offers a no-choice 7-course dinner for £66 - that’s the price of a main course at Raymond Blanc’s Le Manoir. Now, one of these courses was a tiny little soup and another course consisted of a single turnip, about the size of a gobstopper, accompanied by crispy potato skin and a yoghurt sauce. This was food cooked with high technical skill but it was also food approved by Mr Blackiston’s accountant.

There was also a single disc of lamb’s neck with a few broad beans; a sliver of sea bass with a rather flabby skin and a shockingly nasty, sour-tasting duck dish. My displeasure with the duck was immediately noticed and they rustled up a rapid replacement of beef skirt with chanterelle mushrooms which was a huge improvement and was even a decent-sized portion.

The food here is of a very specific type: not English, not French, not Italian. It is Michelin food which is in a special world of its own. It’s not food you would want to eat, much less cook, at home. But for a night out, a special occasion, tended to by a legion of waiters, and armed with no less than 14 pieces of cutlery at the start of the show, it went down a treat.

One’s bill here is never cheap - reckon on £450 a night including drinks - but compared to some places I’ve been to in the UK lately this represents fair value. However, I’m not sure I could take this sort of food or the solemnity of the establishment for more than one night at a time. And in high summer the North Norfolk Coast has become choked with traffic - the midweek queue for the car park at Morston Quay was frankly ridiculous. We Norfolk residents prefer the coast in all its wildness and emptiness in late autumn and winter when most visitors have webbed feet and beaks.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pausanias
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My first experience of Fine Dining at this level for a birthday treat, and I was not disappointed. I need not have been nervous, or anxious about what to wear (!) because everyone made us feel welcome and relaxed, even though the staff seemed very young and therefore relatively inexperienced. We went for Sunday lunch which is a set meal at a set time, and which worked well. I can only say that everything I ate was better than delicious, fantastic even. Just don't expect generous portions of anything, not that you'll miss that because there are 4 courses, plus appetisers and coffee and petit fours, and there's nothing worse than ending a meal and feeling bloated. You can do that in any pub. If there's 1 tiny quibble I would say that I've tasted better beef and there was only 1 very small slice of it, but everything accompanying it was wonderful so I am not complaining, not at all. I would very much like to return one day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Dined here on Monday 2nd June.
Food was fantastic, well presented and great flavours from one of our top chefs.
Majortity of waiting staff are young and a little inexperienced so this is something that needs to be looked at I suggest but that was the only issue we had....otherwise a fantastic experince and hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morston
The Pheasant Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burnham Market
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in King's Lynn

Been to Morston Hall? Share your experiences!