“Gluten free, and with a dog in Norfolk”
Review of Beechwood Hotel

Beechwood Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in North Walsham
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Most 'dog-friendly' hotels just allow dogs - but this hotel actually welcomes them - with a fuss and treats, and no great long list of 'do nots'. The staff and owners actually like dogs, so there's no tension,(although, of course, it goes without saying that we dog-owners must be considerate and responsible towards others guests).
But I am also a coeliac, and was treated to the most delicious meals ever! Usually, I'm not offered little tidbits or starters, and rarely have nice Gluten free bread for breakfast - but this hotel was absolutely fantastic - I could eat almost everything - and did! - so don't go here if you're dieting!
We were taken to this beautiful old hotel by two kind and generous friends, were given a super weekend by the two owners and their staff, and hope one day to visit them again - if you want a very special treat - look at this hotel !

Room Tip: All the room we saw were beautiful, but some face the road (not a problem) and others the rear garde...
1  Thank Frances B

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked this hotel some months ago, full of expectation having read the reviews, and the Beechwood did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived, when a member of staff came hurrying out to take our bags, to our departure four days later, there really was no more that could have been done to make our break perfect. The service is completely unstintlng; pre-dinner canapés are served in the bar, while your dinner is cooked to order. There was always a surprise 'velouté' before the first course, with ingeniously varied ingredients. Don or Lindsay, or more often both, were constantly on hand, checking their guests' welfare and requirements - but all done unobtrusively. The furniture and fittings are absolutely top quality. The mattress gave me the three best nights I've ever had in a hotel. Book one of the three Garden Suites if you can - spacious, temperature controlled, spotless and quiet. Wonderful.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Absolutely amazing! We stayed three nights. We received a very warm and friendly welcome with afternoon tea in the garden. The staff are very professional, courteous, helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The food was delicious. The house has strong links with Agatha Christie - my heroine - so I was absolutely thrilled to see her photographs and read about her friendship with two previous owners - doctors - when it was a private house. Our room was very comfortable indeed - No. 9, which I believe Miss Christie stayed in herself. Fantastic. We would recommend fellow travellers to stay as we would stay there again. Thank you all those who made our stay one to remember.

Room Tip: If you are and Agatha Christie fan, the hotel has a lot of information about her; it's worth ask...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We found ourselves after an unavoidable change in plans in a tourist information office on a wing and a prayer to find somewhere special to spend our wedding anniversary. Our prayers were answered in this gem of a place. The welcome, the attention to detail, the superb customer service, the lovely rooms accompanied with an excellent meal made our anniversary. We enjoyed it so much we booked for an extra night. The meal was a dining experience of lovely local food without being rushed. We will be returning to this hotel and are happy to recommend to all our friends and family.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

One of the advantages of booking a late business trip is that sometimes you end up staying in the most amazing hotels. The Beechwood is a fantastic hotel, the decoration, setting and attention to detail are second to none. The bedroom was small but very well presented and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The food and service were perfect (try the fresh Cromer crab it is lovely). The only sad thing was that I only stayed one night, I want to come back again when I have a little more time and spend a few days relaxing and being pampered.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have seldom stayed at a hotel which provided such an efficient and friendly service. In this matter, I feel I can write with some authority. Now retired, I was travel editor for a national magazine, European correspondent for Innkeeping World (USA) and a consultant to the Union Internationale des Concierges d'Hotel – Les Clefs d’Or. I have no connection with this hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We spent a week in this delightful hotel from 8-14 September and would go back again like a shot. Service was second to none both from the young trainees to the full time staff and owners and they have really created a welcoming home from home atmosphere. The bar is lovely and the restaurant large enough but somehow intimate and I defy anyone to find more comfortable and spacious bed and bathrooms for the price. The Agatha Christie connection is a real bonus for anyone with a love of detective fiction and this was complemented by a visit of a veteran car club (with their vehicles) while we were there. Most of the people we talked to were repeat bookers and I can truly understand why. Having actually taken a Customer Excellence Course myself I know how difficult it is to please everyone all of the time but this is ceratinlya place which strives to do just that.

Room Tip: worth paying extra for the garden/four poster rooms which are huge
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Walsham
#2 of 50 in Norwich
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Beechwood Hotel? Share your experiences!