“Lovely Lovely Lovely !!”

Scarborough Hill Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in North Walsham
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lovely Lovely !!”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Having read some of the earlier reviews on this hotel I was thinking about steering well clear of it but I was fortunate enough to have had it recommended by my sister who stayed there in December and she assured me that it was a real gem.
I trust her opinion so booked my family for a 4 night stay and it was the best decision I have made in years !!!

It may not be the Hilton but it doesn't need to be. It has bags of charm and a level of warmth from the staff you simply wont get in any Hilton !!

When you step inside the front door and its oldy charm just hits you.

The food was great value too. One of the nicest carverys I have had and at a ridiculously cheap price.

The place could do with some TLC here and there but if it was in perfect order it would lose its charm and warmth.

Im in no doubt I will be back there sooner rather than later.

Mr. K Wickham
Bognor Regis

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kezzawickso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We had 3 days to spend in Norfolk and after spending 1 day at the hotel we knew that we wanted to stay another.My husband said that if the breakfast was as good as the food that we had there in the evening then he would stay another day-we ended up staying for 3 nights.My husband had the carvery the first evening and the last, and said that the meat just melted it was so tender.He had lamb shank the other night and he only managed a dessert on the last night because he knew it would be the only time that he would get to try one-(as we were too full up after our meals to eat anything else).I am vegetarian and they adapted a meal for me as i didn't fancy the vegetarian option on the menu,nothing seemed too much trouble.The staff were all very friendly and helpful,the food was delicious and the hotel is old but brings with that a sense of tranquility, as well as character, that only real old buildings have.We thought that was part of it's charm and we are looking forward to hopefully staying there again in September.If you are looking for a place to stay in beautiful surroundings, good food and lovely, warm and helpful staff then we feel that it would pay to take a look at this beautiful old country inn.

Room Tip: We only got to stay in the front,they were good.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2011

With elderly parents travelling over a hundred miles to visit us, we decided to treat them to a meal out so booked a table. Arrived to find a blazing log fire in the foyer and thought we were in for a special treat. How wrong we were. Waited for ages standing around like lemons then decided to go and find a member of staff ourselves. Drinks were served in dirty glasses and after waiting more than 45 minutes, my elderly father was still waiting for the cup of tea he ordered. Got shown to our table which could have done with a wipe down and was surprised to find ants crawling around our table and seats especially as it was February. Alarm bells were ringing but we decided to check out the carvery. Considering there was eight in our party and the booking was made a day in advance, there wasn't enough food to feed three of us let alone eight and what food there was I wouldn't have fed to my dogs. The server was actually going to cut up the left over gristle from a beef joint and offer me it on a plate. When we pointed out there was not enough veg and what there was looked liked last weeks left over’s it was then he came back with a small bowl of runner beans and threw them on top of the sorry looking mushy leeks. The staff members attitude is something to be experienced and not in a good way, unhelpful, uncaring, and unprofessional. Needless to say, we didn't stay and after apologising to my parents for what should have been an enjoyable occasion and which was now ruined by a shambles of a hotel, we ended up getting pizza from a local supermarket and ate at home. Properly managed and with some money spent on cleaning and pest control, this could be a nice place but as for us, once bitten, twice shy. WE WON'T BE GOING BACK AND DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE RECOMMENDING IT TO OUR FRIENDS. (Or anyone else for that matter.) THANK YOU SCARBOROUGH HILL FOR SPOILING OUR DAY.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Gastrokid
UK
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed again, not changed in 2 years, staff stayed up to accept my late booking in, breakfast good, must have poached fish with egg. Value good but if rooms were better would pay more as the location is good. would recommend it but not everyone cup of tea,

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Harwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Needs a complete makeover. Bathroom door would not close, furniture and decor was very dated and dreary. Despite assurances that it was suitable for disabled, it most certainly wasn't. Stairs were steep and wide. My wife who is disabled couldn't use the shower during the 4 nights we were there, because there is no grab rail.
The only thing that I found reasonably good were, the staff were very polite.

The best thing about our stay was the great breakfast

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We visited the premises for a drink#meal and were kept waiting for an eternity to be served whilst the sole barman was engaged in taking orders for meals and also receiving payments of bills and then taking customers to the restaurant area to show them their table.Furnishings are in a terrible state of repair, scruffy and are akin to Steptoe and son. The floor carpet was threadbare and was in a dangerous state with strands or trip hazards at doorways. Carpets were filthy.Cig butts on the floor and small stones on the carpet! How do they get away with it?
Overall the property needs to be redecorated throughout.
We decided not to have a meal. The staff do not have any enthusiasm. This is a typical English 'take it or leave it' establishment and an embarrassment when compared with hotels abroad.[ The TV hotel inspector would have a field day]
Such a shame because the location and grounds are lovely.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hankerchief
UK
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I love this sort of hotel, low ceilings, log fire, good ale (Adnams).
Nothing really to fault except the rooms, which is a bit bad for a hotel really.
Rooms are very warm, both ordinary and suite (I've stayed several times). But carpets and soft furnishing have seen better days to be honest. Bathrooms look like they were installed in early 90's.
Rooms rates are reasonable and a one night stay is just about passable. If the rooms were upgraded I'd happily recommend it to anyone.
North Walsham is charming, Lord Nelson's birthplace, and nothing much has changed since then. I think a real hidden diamond for those who like to explore.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Marsham
The Old Rectory Hotel
The Old Rectory Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick

Been to Scarborough Hill Country Inn? Share your experiences!