“Odd and odder!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Crofters Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 55 Restaurants in Sheringham
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Odd and odder!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were pretty surprised to find a German / Austrian restaurant in Sheringham, but as I'd lived in Germany for several years, it seemed worth trying. Our waitress was friendly and welcoming and the menu appealed with a range of traditional dishes. We drank Erdinger - a real German wheat bear in bottles (the wine list was insufficiently described to trust buying any).

I had Jaegerschnitzel (veal escalope with a rich mushroom sauce), my partner had a carpet-bag (a cut of beef with a pocket of cheese melted within it). Our dishes were tasty enough, more homely than restauranty, and the sauerkraut was burned (!) But after moderate main courses, the desserts were so incredibly sweet that we had to leave the majority. I left the restaurant feeling rather assaulted by a sugar rush.

A nice try overall and I understand that the restaurant is well established, but it could be so much better.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Londoner26

Cromer, United Kingdom
“Go with an empty tummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I have visited this several times over the years it has been open , in evenings we need to share a main meal as there is so much, but our favourite is sunday lunch being vegetarians we are well catered for as well as a main course there is always a good selection of vegetables which are always well cooked the kichen is small but what comes out is exceptional.

Norfolk, United Kingdom
“a little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We visited Sheringham for an Easter Monday treat without booking anything. We only popped into Crofters on the off-chance for a spot of lunch, thinking we'd just have something light. However, the menu was so enticing we had more........... my husband had the home-made steak pie with veggies and I had the crab and cheese bake. Both were mouth-wateringly good. We've been going to Sheringham on and off for many year, but this was our first visit to Crofters and won't be our last. The staff are lovely and the prices are good value. Well done.

Sheringham, United Kingdom
“A heavenly meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Crofters is one of my favourite restaurants, and it is in my own town! We come here once or twice a year, and this visit was one of the best! The owner & chef, Terry Butler, trained in Austria, and so the cuisine is mostly Austrian, and is really gorgeous if you like rich food. My starter was home-made fishcake with a tangy cheese sauce, my wife has the avacado and bacon in an amazing creamy sauce, both between £5 and £6. My main was the "carpet-bag" steak, stuffed with Stilton, and served with a sensational rich sauce (£13.50). My wife had the featherblade steak with onions (£11.50). Both meals came with ratatouille, sliced potatoes with a yellow sauce, and green beans. Pudding for me was a pancake filled with chopped roasted nuts and a rich caramel sauce, with home-made ice cream and whipped cream. Boy - what a treat! My wife's dessert was a steamed chocolate and black cherry sponge with ice cream and cream - also very tasty. Both puddings around £5-6. All washed down with a glass of wine. Total bill about £56 for both of us. A wonderful meal

sais in wales
“What a discovery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We found this little restaurant by accident but have now been back three or four times and are now greeted as friends and our usual drinks brought without asking!
The food is, without exception, delicious. The lunchtime specials are a real bargain and there is no sign that quality is, in any way, being sacrificed, to make them pay.
Last time we visited, I finally succumbed to temptation and had the Kaiserschmarren for pudding. Utterly delicious. Try them, if you have the room (the portion are far from small).
One last things - the plates are always hot! Unusual now and a lovely touch.