“lovely hotel which lived up to expectations”
Review of Strattons Hotel

Strattons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This was our first stay at Strattons which is located down a narrow lane in Swaffham. if you didn't know it was there you would miss it - which adds to it's appeal. The narrow lane opens up into the large grounds of Strattons with plentiful parking right up to the Hotel entrance. We stayed in the Venetian room with a large window & gorgeous views over the front of the hotel. Not the largest room in the hotel but nice & quiet & perfect for a short break. We loved the breakfast menu which gave an insight into where all food was sourced - with the hotel committed to sourcing locally and supporting local businesses. I discovered Pear juice at Strattons & the blueberries were delicious on the cereal. My husband had the sausage & bacon breakfast which was scummy - so much so we visited the local butchers & bought some sausages of our own to take home!. Although there is no formal bar area, we could sit in the lounge, with open fires with a late night drink with the hotel cats as company! This is a gorgeous hotel with so many quirky details (including the fireplaces and chandeliers) we will definitely be back trying another of their uniquely themed rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Strattons Hotel

Reviewed 3 March 2013

The menu was very limited.on offer was belly of pork. or sausages.could not recognise the vegetables that came with the pork.as an alternative we were offered skate.
hardly what we expected for a sunday lunch.The service was lacking in experience.
We expected more to choose from the menu.Such meats.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank julieandged
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We recently returned from a two night break at Strattons and had a really lovely time. We stayed in Print Two room which was perfect for my husband and myself, with our son in a child's bed in the living room. We were pleasantly surprised at how good the dinners were. The chef is innovative and unique and produces fresh, excellent quality food. We also had the best gluten free bread ever (homemade), so a treat for my gluten free husband. The breakfasts were excellent too. Having our paper delivered to our room was a nice touch. Our room was spacious, comfortable, modern, huge bed and impeccably clean. Staff were all very nice and helpful, very welcoming of our son. We stayed across the front garden from the hotel but explored the hotel and found it very interesting and ecclectic. We spend one morning at the Swaffam Museum, which we highly recommend. Another day we went to the beach, only 40mins away. It was a lovely break and we would love to return. The only reason I give the hotel 4 instead of 5 stars is that our room was pricey £220. For that price in that area I was disappointed not to have a better selection of toiletries, bathrobes or slippers. Nonetheless, I appreciate the hotel's dedication to the environment.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Had a really relaxing stay here. A great place to come and recharge. The staff are very friendly, helpful and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable and have interesting decor. I really appreciate the ecofriendly ethos. Swaffham isn't the most interesting town but for me that's a plus point for the stay as there's no pressure to go off and do things but rather stay and lap up the chilled atmosphere. Do recommend a trip to nearby Ecotech centre where you can go up a modern windmill.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I really liked this hotel, fantastic quirky artwork and decoration. It reminds me of home with creaky floors. The staff were lovely, polite and helpful. I had read lots of the other reviews before we came, so was slightly apprehensive. I even had a list of the rooms people liked and the ones they didn't. We stayed in Edie, it was very tarts boudour with pink flocked wallpaper. The bathroom has a large tub that you clamber up a step to get into and a separate shower. The lighting is rather dramatic, all downlighters which means there is no good place to put makeup on your face. The first night i stood in the bath as it has mirrors all round and on the ceiling too. The next night tried the blocked-up doorway which is mirrored too. I concluded there really wasnt a good spot even in the day time.

The bed was comfy, if a bit soft for my back but we slept well.

My boyfriend is highly allergic to cats. There are 3 lovely cats lurking in the public areas. We made a point of not sitting in the sitting rooms,so wasn't a problem at all.

A few things I came to notice in the room, the carpet is badly stained and needs replacing, the shower curtain is mouldy and the bath badly needs recalking where the tub has moved downward.
But i really loved this hotel and hope to go back. Ps the breakfast is great. More about dinner in another review!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Our third time at Strattons and our second in the Red room which is brilliant for winter. The log/coal fire was lit for when we arrived and the room was cosy and warm with the curtains shut to close off the rest of the world. The hotel has a feel that we like and staff were helpful and friendly, food good. A great way to get away. WiFi worked fine so unfortunately there was no excuse but to do a couple of work emails. No shower in the bathroom (it's a bathroom and not a shower room) but the bath is great with plenty of hot water and by the looks of the water damage on the wall, plenty of others have enjoyed it too. (The wall really does need repainting). After we ate dinner we tendered the fire and sat by it for a while. The only problem with this which was something I should have thought about, was the room was too warm so we didn't sleep too well although the four poster is lovely. Not cheap but we'll definitely come again for a special time.

Room Tip: Red Room is great for winter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

This place is in need of a spruce up. The rooms, whilst sort of quaint are really not worth the price. I think the owners feel that they can price themselves as such with few facilities beyond a restaurant. No pool, no elevator no bar to relax in the evening or have a coffee in the afternoon. We stayed in the outside shed which was deluxe priced but cold and damp and took forever to warm up. On a plus the staff are nice and helpful. I agree with previous comments about the restaurant being in the basement. If you compare this hotel to say Dunston hall which has a lot of facilities for less money and nicer rooms where they remember to provide soap and not in premier inn type containers. This is a posh bed and breakfast with a restaurant.

Room Tip: anything under £100 - not the Stalls!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Newsagenda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Heacham
Broom Hall Country Hotel
Broom Hall Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Saham Toney

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!