“Don't bother” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Evie room - The room stank of food being cooked below us in the kitchen.
Staff are polite however it is a self indulgent overpriced hotel that is not focused on client or clients needs.
Worst night sleep ever !

Room Tip: Don't touch Evie
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank JBb5464
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear reader, I am at a loss why this room would stink of food as it is not above the kitchen if the room referred to is 'Edie'. I am sorry we were considered 'self-indulgent and not focused on our guests needs' as that is exactly what are staff are chosen for and trained in. I would be happy to discuss why it was the 'worst nights sleep ever had' , vanessascott1@gmail.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed in the Opium Suite for 3 nights. We had fantastic weather while we stayed so we found it great to have the tiny courtyard outside to have morning coffee and a drink in the evening, but if it had been more typically British weather we may have found the lounge area a little depressing over the 3 days as it is a bit dark and gloomy.

The bedroom is lovely, the bed incredibly comfortable and the bath a real luxury, although take your own bubble bath/oil if you like it as they don't provide it.

It is slightly inconvenient that the bathroom is on the ground floor and the doors to the bathroom are illogical and make using the bathroom annoying. The wardrobe space under the stairs is almost unusable as it is so inconvenient. However, the shower is really lovely, as is the shower gel provided.

They could have been more generous with providing fresh milk for tea and coffee, but good to be able to make our own.

The Opium suite is right next to the cafe for breakfast and we ate outdoors everyday which was lovely. The standard of the breakfast varied every day and the standard of service varied. Each day was different, one day was perfect, one day she spilt pear juice on my husband and dropped the cutlery and on another we didn't get everything we ordered.

We had a great stay and the positives outweigh the negatives, but for the price the negatives were a bit disappointing.

It's in a good place for exploring the area, but Swaffham is not a pretty town. It is very nice to stay in a hotel that feels like it is in the middle of the countryside but has the convenience of being able to pop out to the shops for anything you've forgotten. We found the people in the local shops to be friendly and very helpful.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Adasam, great to read how much you enjoyed the Red Room, thanks for taking the trouble to write a review. Regarding the bathroom we have just had a maintenance meeting and your comments regarding a shower were really useful and that's now in the pipeline (pardon the pun). Thanks for helping us refine this beautiful site, you are right its not straightforward in a listed building but where possible we aim to improve and always to please. Best regards Vanessa
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

From the moment you turn into the drive Strattons is beautiful. This really is a gorgeous property to stay in. You get a very warm welcome on arrival and if lucky the resident cats will greet you as well.

We chose the self contained Print Room as our 6 month old Dachshund was travelling with us and it was great. A large comfortable stylish studio I can highly recommend. The staff had even gone to the trouble to put out food and water bowls along with the especial poop bags and map with suggested walking route.

Food was great. I would suggest lunch at the deli especially their great homemade cake selection, it will leave you struggling to choose only one slice. We were lucky enough to stay during the warm weather and this is the perfect venue for alfresco dining.

Would definitely stay again!

1 Thank CheekerBoo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I must say that this truly is a very quaint, quirky and homely hotel. It was like stepping into the first Nanny McPhee film's garden. I think it was highlighted even more given we were so lucky to be able to sit out there having a wonderful ploughman lunch (would recommend this!) in the scorching July sun we were lucky to have!

My husband took us away on our 10th Wedding Anniversary (with our kids) and we were treated exceptionally well by absolutely ALL of the staff. Everyone was so thoroughly hands on and exceptionally helpful.

Unbeknown to me my husband had sweetly paid extra for flowers, champagne, chocolates and dinner on both nights. Suppose there are some perks to be had being married this long!

On one of the nights he thoroughly surprised me by hiring an internal babysitter from the hotel so that we could dine on our own without our kids.

A couple of things to note, firstly I have never left my children in any hotel to date unattended with a hired babysitter not known to me. But the young girl that we were provided with worked at the hotel and was independently paid by us. I was relieved to see that she was CRB checked and thoughtfully brought along with her the relevant certificate for me to peruse.

Second point to note is that I wont lie, I thought £20 per hour for the babysitter was ever so extortionate, but as my husband naturally appeased me reiterating that this was clearly a very special occasion and from where we were physically located in the hotel restaurant we could very clearly see the door to our family room. We had been placed suitably in "Print Room One".It was of course well worth having a romantic meal for two for a couple of hours.

The food was lovely and of a very high standard. Nothing for either of our dinners or breakfasts we consumed over the two days was too much trouble for the ladies kindly serving our two son's and ourselves.

Coming back to the room; this was very clean and well tended to. They catered a z-bed and a cot bed for our kids and was done so with the minimal of fuss and they were placed together in the living room. The cot bed could easily have been placed in the bedroom should you have wanted it.

We were right next to the hotel cafe which was most appropriate. My husband was thoroughly in his element both mornings ordering latte's as soon as he woke up! The ladies here again were very accommodating. Everything was very 'organic' and locally produced.

The only negative I can safely say (and this is nothing to do with the hotel establishment at all) is that the local area that the hotel was situated in, was awful; simply DIRE! It felt very depraved and run-down. Such a shame that the local shops were not pleasant or appealing at all. I have heard that Norfolk is beautiful and idyllic, but Swaffham is NOT. We had a 20 minute walk and I felt like I needed to get back!

If, like us you have kids and need emergency or last minute bits the local amenities were great, such as grocery shops and having a Boots on your doorstep! The only upmarket (if you can call it that) place we could see was the Costa Coffee shop.

Anyhow as aforementioned, the hotel, staff and food were excellent. Cannot fault them. And thanks again for the personally signed Anniversary card - great touch. As were the two cats, that thoroughly amused both of our boys. They appear very much a part of the furniture!

Thanks Strattons!!!

Regards,
Mrs Gibson

Room Tip: Print One (on the ground floor) for families with young children is ideal!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

My birthday treat was to spend two nights in the Venetian Room. I confess to a tinge of incredulity when my husband said we were going to Swaffham - I had always seen it as a charming little market town en route to the Norfolk coast.... But when we turned off the High Street into a tiny lane, there was a revelation: the building is charming,and, set in compact grounds, feels miles away from anywhere.
Our first evening meal lacked sparkle, but we reasoned that the restaurant was very busy, and temperatures were soaring. Next morning's breakfast, served in the adjacent cafe, was delicious.
We headed off to the North Norfolk coast and returned in time to relax peacefully in the garden with drinks. Time stood still.
The second dinner was a pleasant surprise, comparing very favourably with Michelin-aspirants in other restaurants.
The service was friendly but professional, and the pace perfect.

Unwilling to leave on our second morning, we languished over an al fresco breakfast, and decided to book one of the 'Print Room' apartments for a Christmas treat five months hence.

The decor throughout this hotel is eccentric and artistic, but not at the expense of comfort. As I dozed in our (possibly) Venetian carved bed, I did feel as though we were in Venice - but without the noise!
This is a family business, and the genuineness of the customer's experience demonstrates their commitment to the core values, and the hotel's claim of 'eco-authenticity'.

If you are looking for the best of both worlds - real peace, but on the routes to Norfolk's best-loved towns and great houses - this is your place.

Room Tip: Rooms are all good!
1 Thank BookwormCambridge
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel and give it a higher score.

I would really like to stress that the location and staff are lovely. The hotel is located off the main road in quiet, secluded surroundings.

Our room was very nice but the bathroom was run down (chipped bath-tub, paint peeling from the walls) and lacked the usual amenities that you would find in a less expensive hotel such as a shower cap. These may seem like small things but when an overnight stay is £150 upwards, you do expect a little better.

The restaurant is well-priced with a good wine list. Unfortunately the food was underwhelming and we chose not to have dessert because we were bit not impressed with out starters/mains. I found the food generally under-seasoned and overly sweet, even salad dressings lacked enough acidity as it wilted straight away. I also found the practice of placing dressed salad as a garnish on a hot plate a bit strange. For breakfast, our poached eggs had not been drained prior to being placed on the plate which meant that we ended up with wet toast and bacon.

These are all small criticisms but unfortunately they do add up. To me, it was a lack of attention to detail (as all these issues are easily remedied) which made our stay less of a success.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Staines, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I spent three nights here as part of our honeymoon and really loved the hotel. We stayed in the Red Room, which was a bit of an extravagant treat, but I was in awe of it! The quirky decoration, private garden, amazing canopied bathroom, own library, four poster bed ... we loved it! Dinner in the restaurant was lovely, breakfast in the accompanying cafe was great, and the venue of the hotel made exploring the local area easy. A brilliant find, perfect for a special occasion.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
BEST WESTERN George Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,055 reviews
Titchwell Manor Hotel
Titchwell Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Titchwell

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!