“Thank you Strattons”
Review of Strattons Hotel

Strattons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Unfortunately due to a serious illness in the family, my husband had to reschedule my birthday night away in the beautiful Opium suite , to the next week- Strattons couldn't have been nicer about it.

This was our second visit to one of Norfolks hidden gems and we enjoyed it just as much as the first.

Lovely intelligent staff who just want you to enjoy it, really good food and the suite was every bit as quirky and delightful as I knew it would be,

I am sure we'll be back as soon as we need to escape fro the world again.

Thank you to everyone at Strattons..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JulieEdmunds
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Julie, thank you for taking the trouble to write a review and your lovely comments about Strattons and especially our super staff. It's always horrible to deal with family illnesses and carry on life as normal! I am really pleased that you went ahead with your belated birthday celebrations with us and our thoughts are with you and your family, best regards Vanessa

Reviewed 9 April 2014

When you first drive into the town it is possible to have a few reservations when trying to reconcile what you have seen on the website. However, I could not have been more pleasantly surprised and would thoroughly recommend this hotel
The staff are excellent. Helpful and extremely knowledgable about the area. I was also very impressed with the food and I cannot remember having a better breakfast amongst the 70 to 90 days a year I spend in hotels.....Long May the owners manage to maintain the level of passion and culture they have clearly invested into this business

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel C

Dear Nigel,' thank you for your lovely review which we and all our staff really appreciate.

The building itself is a wonderful legacy of Swaffham's wealthy past during the Georgian period. Whilst more recently Surridges, the cricket bat manufacturers, owned the house in 1920's, using the rear paddock to cut and store willow blanks ready for finishing. 'Razor Smith' the famous England and Surrey slow bowler lived in a caravan at the back of the house and worked as a salesman for the company. It was his daughter Gertude who later married Bertie Stratton and lived in the house from 1938 and from where the name Stratton entered its history. I love the fact that it was designated by the Swaffham Urban District Council 'Invasion Committee' as an emergency feeding station in the event of an invasion in 1942!

We hope to see you again, best regards Vanessa Scott

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband booked this as a surprise for our first anniversary
The hotel is very unique and each room has a theme
He booked is into the opium suite but upon arrival due to its furnishing in the bedroom I found it slightly eary .. The hotel staff were amazing and did not hesitate in offering us alternative accommodation to print room 2 which was stunning it had a private decked area outside with table and chairs.. Inside was a vintage decor with a modern twist which comprised of a longe dining area a bathroom with separate shower cubicle and frosted glass doors that opened into the large double bedroom .. The room was spotless and extremely well presented .
We loved the quirkiness of the random decoration and things like milk being presented I'm a screw lid small bottle :)
The staff were the friendliest we have come across .. Nothing was too much effort .
The restaurant was gorgeous again beautiful decor and extremely polite friendly staff.. Food was exceptional both with breakfast and dinner.. We love how everything was locally sourced.
Every corner you turn in this hotel has a surprise and is such a pleasure to look at.. You must bare in mind this is a period hotel with lots of quirkiness and antiques but for us this added to the experience
The gardens were beautiful with 3 resident friendly cats that were extremely cute .
Overall a lovely hotel with fantastic staff

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Natasha1808

Dear Natasha, what a lovely review, thank you so much, we all enjoyed having you stay for your special anniversary and look forward to seeing you again. Very best regards Vanessa Scott, vanessascott1@gmail.com

Reviewed 27 March 2014

To really appreciate this delightful and quirky hotel you need to be in the 'Strattons State of Mind'. Those looking for designer perfection and slick efficiency will be disappointed. This is an old building, full of delightful curios and surprises at every turn. It has the creaks and groans and inevitable signs of its age but on the whole, they just add to the charm. We had two days here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were initially allocated the Venetian room on the ground floor of the main building. It is compact, but beautiful. It has a small bathroom, with shower over bath & a beautiful big window overlooking the front courtyard. We loved the room but sadly the bed proved too be too soft for us. We mentioned this the next morning to reception. They very kindly offered to move us, without any fuss. We returned from our day out to find the staff had moved all our stuff for us up to the delightful and very swanky Boudoir Suite on the top floor. The decor is quite OTT but wonderful. We really enjoyed the breakfasts at CoCoes cafe each morning, the bacon was delicious as was the coffee. All in all a lovely and unique hotel with great staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sindy7

Dear Sindy 7, thank you for your lovely review; we want all our guests to have the best experience possible and can only do that if our guests let us know how to do this so thank you for talking to the staff while you were staying and not regretting not talking to them! Very best regards Vanessa Scott

Reviewed 11 March 2014

A very quirky hotel with helpful staff. We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed the stay. There were a couple of minor problems with food - being given an old menu and we ended up having our second choice when in fact our first choice was still on. We asked for marmalade about which 3 different people told us 3 different stories and we ended up with none! it did appear before we had finished but it was too late. Minor but irritating but the marmalade was for sale in a cabinet upstairs! Otherwise a nice quiet hotel in a convenient area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sally M

Dear Merebook, thank you so much for taking the trouble to write a review and your comments are gratefully received. I am really sorry you experienced the niggley situations with the marmalade and menu; I have spoken to all the staff involved about this as it was completely avoidable. We all appreciate your patience and helpful feedback. Best regards Vanessa Scott, vanessascott1@gmail.com

Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband booked us in to the 'Red Room' at this hotel for the nights of 21/22 Feb as it was recommended by Mr& Mrs Smith. It was our first weekend away since having our baby and was also our 9 year anniversary. Although we were initially very impressed with the room due to its size, we were disappointed with the facilities. The bed was very uncomfortable. It was possible to feel the springs through the mattress and we both kept rolling into the middle, or off the side. We had an absolutely miserable first night with barely any sleep and suffered excruciating back pain the next day. We did not use the bathroom as the bath (a claw foot tub) is very old. It is badly scratched and chipped and in dire need of re-enamelling so it was very offputting. I'm sure it was actually clean but it did not look it and there was no way I wanted to bathe in it, never mind bathing my 3 month old baby. It is very badly damaged and It really wouldn't take an awful lot to have it re-enamelled. Also, the sink area could do with re-grouting/masticing. The walls next to the toilet (where the toilet roll is) are quite grubby which is quite grim. The floor mat in the main room is very rough and it is not possible to walk around the room without shoes or indeed to sit on the floor (which I needed to do with my baby). Also, after walking around the room barefoot (carefully avoiding the mat), the soles of my feet were dirty. We complained to the lady on duty about the bed and the bathroom and she was very good at moving us to another room - Edie - which we were happier with (although it was a smaller room).

We were told that due to the variation of price in the rooms, we would be refunded the difference but when we checked out, it was not taken into account. I would have also thought it might be nice to perhaps offer a bottle of wine for free or our evening meal to compensate for the dreadful night's sleep we had but nothing was offered.

I would hasten to add that the staff were at all times very friendly, courteous and professional and they are a real asset to the hotel, hence the two 'stars'.

As a way to improve the room, it may perhaps be worthwhile to ask each member of staff to stay in it when it is vacant and go over it with a fine toothed comb to see what could be improved upon or what may be in need of a bit of repair. It wouldn't really take much - a new mattress/mattress topper, a re-enamelled bath, a new mat for the main floor and some repairs in the bathroom.

All in all, I think we were ripped off by being charged the full price for this room - so much so that I felt the need to mention it on Trip Advisor - the first review I've written despite having stayed in countless hotels over the years.

One other thing I would mention, is that if you miss the turn into the hotel from the main road, it is worth going around to do it again so that you can go straight down the driveway. I missed the turn off and went around the back way and trying to manoeuvre the car around the corner into the drive ended with a lovely scrape down the side of it. It is far too tight a corner for a big car.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Erryn2014
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Reviewer, I am really sorry you felt so disappointed by your stay.
To deal with your points, the bed base and mattress is only 1 year old and a Staples premium orthopaedic. I was surprised to read your comments and accordingly have tried lying on it with a housekeeper and we didn't observe any rolling effect but I understand that a double mattress is not to everyone's personal taste and you had the same mattress on the bed in the room you swapped to without a problem albeit a kingsize.

The Red Room is a period room, theatrical and full of antiques including the bath and the floor coverings include painted boards, Persian rugs and coir matting. We are changing the bathroom to include a reproduction claw footed bath so thank you for your feedback on this front.

The entrance to the hotel is off the north end of the market place and relatively straight forward, unfortunately if you arrive via satnav it directs you in badly via Spinners Lane which means you can miss the turning or feel obliged to do a 180 degree turn. Our reception staff offer clear advise on finding us to avoid this predicament.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed in the Strattons Hotel in November 2013 and it truly was a excellent experience - good food, good service and pleasant, comfortable surroundings. This did not prepare me for the absolute horror to follow. I am a regular business traveller to Norfolk and booked again a few weeks later. I had to cancel my booking 4 full days before arriving (although I fully intended to block book some further dates later). I was unbelievably charged 80% of the total cost for this cancellation - yes, 80% - and was met with total inflexibility when I queried this. I then wrote to the hotel manager to point out that he was potentially losing a huge amount of business from myself and my colleagues. His response did not address any of the points I had raised, other than to rather woodenly reiterate the small print of the hotel cancellation policy. Upon telephoning to speak to the manager, I was told (once I had given my name) that he was not available and that they had 'no idea' of when he would be available. The woman I spoke to was rude and almost hostile. I am so sad about this, because the hotel is lovely and I and my colleagues very much wanted to stay there again. Sadly, the whole experience has been completely spoiled by poor management and dreadful customer service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank J0hnH_W
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Reader, I was saddened to read this reviewers comments which amount to 'horror' at our cancellation fees and contradictory praise for our staff and then a description of them as rude and hostile when a cancellation fee is charged. Cancellation charges are not something we like to apply and if we can re-sell everyone is happy, but if we do not re-let we are left with the loss of a room that has been taken off the shop shelf so to speak to other potential travelers and I can see from our data that we had turned away bookings. These terms are on all our confirmations, in normal print and on a drop down box if you book on-line as this guest did, effectively you cannot progress the booking without agreeing to our conditions. We would rather no-one booked if there is an uncertainty in their plans and we find generally that holiday insurance is taken out for bookings of two rooms or more and/or stays of three nights or longer. We are not a Travel Lodge or a city centre hotel with a high percentage of walk-in business. Our booking lead in time is generally 4 or more weeks and therefore a cancellation of 4 days allows us only that time to re-sell it which is what the cancellation fee is based on. Therefore had we re-sold the room we would not have charged, its not a punitive measure. It is sensible that this reviewer does not recommend us to 'colleagues in his professional network' as we would not survive on cancelled rooms that were not re-sold; we have overheads and staff rotas that rely on us being realistic.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Best Western George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
Titchwell Manor Hotel
Titchwell Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Titchwell

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!