“Dinner at Strattons”

and 1 more site!
Strattons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Very disappointing food. Good ingredients spoilt. Very expensive for what was offered.Staff very willing but untrained. Lovely sitting and dining areas.lack of senior management, no one walking about supervising. A great pity.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chr C
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear reader,
I am mystified by the comments regarding food and lack of detail which is what I would expect both from responding to reviews or writing one myself. As we always have a restaurant manager on duty this also seems and odd comment and that manager would have been the person processing orders and payments. I fully appreciate the importance of feedback and we always look at this as a means to improve but this review is both untrue and sketchy to be of any serious help.
Vanessa Scott, director

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed in the 'Stalls'. Sitting area very comfy. Bed rather quirky as on a raised area (not good for people with limited mobility as the platform it is on is rather high and very very slippery). The mattress could do with an upgrade as we tended to roll into the middle. The bathroom was a wet room and boy was it wet after having a shower even after using the provided large squeezy floor mop. So using the toilet or sink after the shower had been used was not ideal. They were very accommodating in providing a cold meal (pre-booked) as we knew we would arrive late and miss dinner service. Not so good on the next day as I wanted to stay in the lounge and work while my husband visited clients but was asked to go to their café as they had booked the lounge out for a funeral - but the café did not have internet access and I was unable to work - a wasted day as I specifically asked if I could stay in the lounge for a few hours after check out to work before we booked the hotel. So all in all it was a bit disappointing especially compared to the cost.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Blueiz2014
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Reader

I was surprised to read the comments about the Stalls. The mattress is new and pocket sprung and the best quality, the wet room is a wet room and we do have wifi in the cafe. Check out is 11am -we did have a funeral gathering in the hotel so the Stalls could have been booked for an extended stay until 5 which is when this guest left. Many working people in the town use the cafe to work on their laptops and tablets over lunch.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at Strattons originally in the Red Room in October 2012 and we loved it so much we rebooked for April 2014. This time we stayed in The Stalls, an external suite which was lovely, separate sitting room, lovely bed and gorgeous bathroom which was actually a wet room. Can't fault the room really , except the toilet got blocked on our final day, (but that can happen anywhere), and unfortunately the soap dispensers were very reluctant to yield any soap.

Breakfasts were lovely, plentiful food, and as much toast as we could squeeze in. Lots of choice and very well cooked. Service was excellent.

We booked dinner, bed and breakfast, same as last time, but in 2012 the evening meals were stunning and I rated them equivalent to Michelin standard restaurants I'd eaten in. Sadly that is what let down our visit this time.

There were just 5 main courses to choose from and not one was particularly nice (my husband and I tried them all over 3 evenings). The sea bass was quite simply awful. Flaccid fish with limp skin and tasteless, on a bed of cauliflower. Husband had the pork belly and declared it so-so. Unfortunately the other evenings followed suit, a vegetable risotto was bland, almost tasteless, the pork belly dry. The lamb was forgettable. I wish we had booked b&b and made our own choices of where we ate on an evening. Interestingly, everyone eating in the restaurant (which was VERY quiet), was a resident, we didn't not see or speak to anyone who was visiting just for a meal and I'm not surprised.

The weather was stunning and we had some lovely trips to the North Norfolk Coast and Sandringham, but for the huge expense of staying here, I would have hoped the food would match its previous high standards. It didn't. 2 vegetarian dishes on a 5 dish menu is too many, but even so, it just wasn't cooked to the standard I would expect.

I'm not sure that I will return based on this experience and if I do, it will be on a b&b basis.

2  Thank hodghegs

Dear reviewer

thank you for your feedback and as with all comments I have met with the staff involved to discuss your review. As customer service is our highest priority there is a strong feeling we failed you in that your strong criticisms were not raised at the time with any of them and they remember you well and were surprised given the rapport they felt they had. It would have been possible to talk to the chef about the menu and your feelings and to offer alternatives. I should correct your statement 'there were only 5 main course dishes'. We offer 6 and the rationale for this is to give 2 fish choices, 2 meat and 2 vegetarian. The previous time you stayed we did indeed have 5 main courses and 4 starters and 4 pudding choices which we felt was not enough. You stayed Monday-Wednesday and I can see from our bookings that we had a busy Monday evening so not sure about your comments regarding 'very quiet' or the opinions stated around that; as with all food businesses weekends will always be our busiest times especially for non residents simply because of work commitments. Please feel free to email me if you want to discuss any of the issues you raised further
best regards Vanessa Scott

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The purpose of our Saturday night stay was an overnight "escape" with our dog to celebrate my birthday. We were seeking a decent pet-friendly hotel and had never been to Swaffham and the self catering studio was available for a single night b&b booking. This was an ideal option for us as it allowed us to hire the self catering facilities for an additional £20, meaning we were able to dine in the room rather than leave the dog in the car while we ate. The Strattons setting, hidden in the town itself, was attractive and the young female receptionist was efficient and helpful. Print Room One is located across from the main building so I can't comment on the hotel other than the reception area and restaurant (where breakfast was taken) but we were very happy with the spaciousness of our accommodation and the quality of the furnishings and facilities. Dog bowls, poop bags and a map showing dog walking routes were provided together with some fresh milk in the fridge. The apartment had a decent wifi signal and plenty of literature on Norfolk and Suffolk. We hardly heard any noise from the apartment above us and slept exceptionally well in a most comfortable 6ft bed. Breakfast was decent and served between 8.30-10am. The place has a lot of character and the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant. Not a budget option at £256.50 (incl modest charge for the dog and the "kitchen" hire fee referred to previously) but it was just what we wanted. The voucher presented to us at checkout for a future stay eill certainly not go to waste.....,

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alison1973
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Alison

thank you so much for your review and really pleased you & your partner enjoyed your birthday along with the dog. The countryside -the Brecks- in which the hotel is situated, is a fantastic place to walk, ride, run or cycle without having to encounter a road. I enjoy it daily with my dogs so pleased you felt so comfortable. Let me know when you come again and I'll give you more dog friendly local options and it would be great to meet up over coffee

best regards Vanessa

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel is quirky, beautiful, comfortable and relaxing. It was lovely hearing the birds tweeting outside in the morning, and the small gardens are full of interesting things too. Our bathroom had seen better days ... toilet set didn't quite fit, flush a bit random ... and the absence of little 'usual' things like a bar of soap, moisturising cream and cotton wool pads in the bathroom, or tissues in the bedroom, were a little irritating. The baths in both of our rooms looked quite spectacular, but were pretty uncomfortable to use. Nothing hugely to worry about there, but just made things less comfortable than they might have been.

Our real disappointment though was the restaurant. We stayed and ate there for three nights - there really is nothing else of similar quality nearby - and so found the short menu quite boring, especially for our vegan. Even though we had told the hotel before that a vegan was coming, and the menu had a vegan option or two, there was no effort to replace the protein elements on the menu with vegan alternatives. I suspect that if we'd made a big deal of it in the restaurant, there might have been a response, but "our vegan" is reserved, and didn't make a fuss (which is why I had phoned up in advance in the first place). There was also very little fresh fruit (none at breakfast) and the menu was pretty meat and stodge heavy, although, for regular carnivores, there were some pretty tasty things on the menu. The breakfast 'pastry' selection was very limited - pain au chocolat one morning, and a strange bread on the other mornings. And there were none of the things for breakfast that you'd never make at home (eggs benedict for example) which are such a treat when someone else is cooking!

Dear gottagotoitaly

we are really sorry you were disappointed.

Our short menu with 6 choices at each stage is simply to offer a balanced choice to all tastes and as everything is made on site meaning 18 dishes in total along with daily fresh bread, dressings, breakfast prep keeps the team fully employed! With regards to boring I really don't know how to respond as this is subjective and for a very specific dietary requirement there will always be limitations in absolutely any establishment. That said I am sorry that there seemed to have been a break down in communication as the last thing we want is somebody to feel unhappy or that they cannot voice a niggle. You say you didn't want to make a fuss so didn't mention your feelings but we cannot respond without feedback and surely not saying anything and then posting on the web is a bit of a contradiction regarding not making a fuss. Your aim-I would hope- and most certainly ours is that you have a really good time.

We also provide extra fruit to the organic winter fruit salad and blueberries provided at breakfast. You say the menu was meat heavy but at dinner there are two choices of meat, two of fish and two vegetarian so I have to take issue with your comments. The starters are likewise. At breakfast there are more meat free options than options with it though of course there is an English breakfast but that is because it is the most asked for dish at breakfast.

You state; 'The breakfast 'pastry' selection was very limited - pain au chocolat one morning, and a strange bread on the other mornings.' The 'strange' bread is chocolate bread which seems a hit as we are constantly asked for the recipe and we have been making it for over twenty years along with the toasted breads you would have been offered at breakfast. These are the special things I consider important as well as good sourcing of the best tastiest ingredients.

Finally.........."and the absence of little 'usual' things like a bar of soap, moisturising cream and cotton wool pads in the bathroom, or tissues in the bedroom, were a little irritating".
We offer a bespoke organic liquid soap so there seems little point in a bar too and hand/body lotion so why moisturiser? Tissues and cotton pads, as per our website information and your confirmation, we do not provide in line with our environmental policy; we prefer to invest in really good organic toiletry products.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

we stayed here over the easter break. There is nothing much in Swaffam, but it was a great base for visiting the north Norfolk coast and the staff were really helpful with hints and tips about places to visit.

We were upgraded to Cocoes One with a giant copper bath in it, which was gorgeous. We also got handmade chocolates too.

1  Thank natalie m m
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hi Natalie

thank you for taking the trouble to review Strattons and so pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself. We value your comments regarding 'what to do' as there needs to be some training on the Brecks which is the area we are located in; whilst the North Norfolk coast is a definite thing to do, travelling south gives you amazing countryside accessibility and recreational possibilities at for instance High Lodge. Bury St Edmunds is a beautiful town and the nearby Wyken Vineyard are all great things to do as is a trip to Castle Acre, a two minute drive from the hotel. If you come again let me know and we'll have a chat over coffee in CoCoes;

very best regards Vanessa Scott

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Based on the website and photos, this was booked at short notice for a family easter break in Norfolk. My wife, 3 year old daughter and myself stayed in the Print Room one for the easter weekend. The hotel and room surpassed the images we had seen on the website, and we could not have been happier. The service and friendliness of the staff was amazing, and our daughter was enchanted by the 3 cats that make this hotel their home. The food at breakfast and dinner was a pleasure and the menus extensive. Although Swaffham is limited in terms of visitor attractions, it proved to be a great base on which to explore north Norfolk. Before our visit had finished, we all agreed that we would like to come again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank raymondy60

Dear Raymond,

and we loved having you stay too! Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review with all your very positive feedback. Regarding the town it really does have a fascinating history with some impressive former residents such as Howard Carter; I hope you found our wonderful little town museum near the bookshop. If you come back please let me know via email and I'll sit down with you and give you details of the hidden gems within the Brecks all worth a look.

Thank you & best regards Vanessa Scott, vanessascott1@gmail.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Best Western George Hotel
#2 of 2 in Mundford
The Great Danes Country Inn
The Great Danes Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Beachamwell

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!