“Relaxing with fabulous food!”
Review of Strattons Hotel

Strattons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Boston, MA
“Relaxing with fabulous food!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I'm not sure how Stratton's has gotten some poor reviews. My husband and I only stay in 4 star accommodations and we really enjoyed our stay at the Stratton- very unique and worth the trip- and the décor is fun and whimsical. Both the hotel and the restaurant were very good. We both had vegetarian dishes and 3 courses each, and loved everything. Breakfast was wonderful as well. VERY comfortable bed, beautiful grounds, friendly staff- loved every minute of it. LOVE the hotel’s commitment to local food and green sustainability. We’ll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Sportlaan
thank you for your comments and very valued as a senior reviewer. We aim to give people a really good experience and that is how are staff are trained and informs our processes to pick up any niggles. Really kind of you to express your positive views which the staff are always proud of and grateful to receive. We hope to welcome you back
very best regards Vanessa Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fab hotel down a little lane off one of the main roads in Swaffham. Stayed for one night in May and was very impressed. Our room was on the reception level overlooking the front garden. Not a huge room but very clean slightly mad, nothing matched , which is the same in the rest if the hotel , but it works. Had a meal at night in the restaurant which was excellent as was the breakfast over the car park in the hotel's cafe. Lovely friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. Will definitely stay there again when we are over visiting relations in the area. Loved the cats too!

Room Tip: I think every room has an individual theme so it is more exciting not knowing until you arrive there...
Dear Sajaha13,
thank you for your lovely comments about Strattons; we want guests to have a great experience so its always good to hear when people have just that. You are right that all the rooms are different, dictated by the quirky listed building and our arts background. We also are situated in the Brecks which is an amazing countryside, unfortunately little known, providing us with some fabulous ingredients.
Best regards Vanessa Scott
Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Of all the places I expected to find a good restaurant, I have to be honest and Swaffham wasn't one of those. Tucked down a little side road you drive in to be confronted with wonderful large period house and grounds, very good first impressions. Then into the hotel reception which is stunning, if you like the shabby chic/eclectic look (which I do). We were welcomed warmly, offered either to go straight to our table or have a drink in the lounge while we look at the menus. The staff we very polite, efficient and attentive without being intrusive. The food itself is of a very high standard for the area, inventive, locally sourced, complex yet delicate flavours and good use of textures, for a sleepy little town like Swaffham very impressive. The wine list whilst not huge was robust with a good selection of cornerstone wines for most tastes. If you had to press me to find a negative, the portion sizes were LARGE. I'm used to good food being served in smaller quantities, not a massive issue but if you asked me for constructive criticism then that would be the only thing.

Love it and we will be back!

1 Thank virtualbma
Dear Virtualbma,
it was great to read your very honest review of the restaurant at Strattons and thank you for your feedback regarding portion sizes which we have discussed in length with both the restaurant staff and head chef and acted upon. It is very helpful to receive reviews with the detail you have included, our staff take customer service very seriously and unsolicited praise is important to the team. I hope we see you again and for daytime use we have a small cafe at the entrance to the hotel called CoCoes, open Monday -Saturday (closed Sundays)
regards Vanessa Scott, owner
Storrington
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Very disappointing food. Good ingredients spoilt. Very expensive for what was offered.Staff very willing but untrained. Lovely sitting and dining areas.lack of senior management, no one walking about supervising. A great pity.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chr C
Dear reader,
I am mystified by the comments regarding food and lack of detail which is what I would expect both from responding to reviews or writing one myself. As we always have a restaurant manager on duty this also seems and odd comment and that manager would have been the person processing orders and payments. I fully appreciate the importance of feedback and we always look at this as a means to improve but this review is both untrue and sketchy to be of any serious help.
Vanessa Scott, director
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed in the 'Stalls'. Sitting area very comfy. Bed rather quirky as on a raised area (not good for people with limited mobility as the platform it is on is rather high and very very slippery). The mattress could do with an upgrade as we tended to roll into the middle. The bathroom was a wet room and boy was it wet after having a shower even after using the provided large squeezy floor mop. So using the toilet or sink after the shower had been used was not ideal. They were very accommodating in providing a cold meal (pre-booked) as we knew we would arrive late and miss dinner service. Not so good on the next day as I wanted to stay in the lounge and work while my husband visited clients but was asked to go to their café as they had booked the lounge out for a funeral - but the café did not have internet access and I was unable to work - a wasted day as I specifically asked if I could stay in the lounge for a few hours after check out to work before we booked the hotel. So all in all it was a bit disappointing especially compared to the cost.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Blueiz2014
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Reader

I was surprised to read the comments about the Stalls. The mattress is new and pocket sprung and the best quality, the wet room is a wet room and we do have wifi in the cafe. Check out is 11am -we did have a funeral gathering in the hotel so the Stalls could have been booked for an extended stay until 5 which is when this guest left. Many working people in the town use the cafe to work on their laptops and tablets over lunch.
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at Strattons originally in the Red Room in October 2012 and we loved it so much we rebooked for April 2014. This time we stayed in The Stalls, an external suite which was lovely, separate sitting room, lovely bed and gorgeous bathroom which was actually a wet room. Can't fault the room really , except the toilet got blocked on our final day, (but that can happen anywhere), and unfortunately the soap dispensers were very reluctant to yield any soap.

Breakfasts were lovely, plentiful food, and as much toast as we could squeeze in. Lots of choice and very well cooked. Service was excellent.

We booked dinner, bed and breakfast, same as last time, but in 2012 the evening meals were stunning and I rated them equivalent to Michelin standard restaurants I'd eaten in. Sadly that is what let down our visit this time.

There were just 5 main courses to choose from and not one was particularly nice (my husband and I tried them all over 3 evenings). The sea bass was quite simply awful. Flaccid fish with limp skin and tasteless, on a bed of cauliflower. Husband had the pork belly and declared it so-so. Unfortunately the other evenings followed suit, a vegetable risotto was bland, almost tasteless, the pork belly dry. The lamb was forgettable. I wish we had booked b&b and made our own choices of where we ate on an evening. Interestingly, everyone eating in the restaurant (which was VERY quiet), was a resident, we didn't not see or speak to anyone who was visiting just for a meal and I'm not surprised.

The weather was stunning and we had some lovely trips to the North Norfolk Coast and Sandringham, but for the huge expense of staying here, I would have hoped the food would match its previous high standards. It didn't. 2 vegetarian dishes on a 5 dish menu is too many, but even so, it just wasn't cooked to the standard I would expect.

I'm not sure that I will return based on this experience and if I do, it will be on a b&b basis.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hodghegs
Dear reviewer

thank you for your feedback and as with all comments I have met with the staff involved to discuss your review. As customer service is our highest priority there is a strong feeling we failed you in that your strong criticisms were not raised at the time with any of them and they remember you well and were surprised given the rapport they felt they had. It would have been possible to talk to the chef about the menu and your feelings and to offer alternatives. I should correct your statement 'there were only 5 main course dishes'. We offer 6 and the rationale for this is to give 2 fish choices, 2 meat and 2 vegetarian. The previous time you stayed we did indeed have 5 main courses and 4 starters and 4 pudding choices which we felt was not enough. You stayed Monday-Wednesday and I can see from our bookings that we had a busy Monday evening so not sure about your comments regarding 'very quiet' or the opinions stated around that; as with all food businesses weekends will always be our busiest times especially for non residents simply because of work commitments. Please feel free to email me if you want to discuss any of the issues you raised further
best regards Vanessa Scott
vanessascott1@gmail.com
Essex
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

The purpose of our Saturday night stay was an overnight "escape" with our dog to celebrate my birthday. We were seeking a decent pet-friendly hotel and had never been to Swaffham and the self catering studio was available for a single night b&b booking. This was an ideal option for us as it allowed us to hire the self catering facilities for an additional £20, meaning we were able to dine in the room rather than leave the dog in the car while we ate. The Strattons setting, hidden in the town itself, was attractive and the young female receptionist was efficient and helpful. Print Room One is located across from the main building so I can't comment on the hotel other than the reception area and restaurant (where breakfast was taken) but we were very happy with the spaciousness of our accommodation and the quality of the furnishings and facilities. Dog bowls, poop bags and a map showing dog walking routes were provided together with some fresh milk in the fridge. The apartment had a decent wifi signal and plenty of literature on Norfolk and Suffolk. We hardly heard any noise from the apartment above us and slept exceptionally well in a most comfortable 6ft bed. Breakfast was decent and served between 8.30-10am. The place has a lot of character and the staff we encountered were extremely pleasant. Not a budget option at £256.50 (incl modest charge for the dog and the "kitchen" hire fee referred to previously) but it was just what we wanted. The voucher presented to us at checkout for a future stay eill certainly not go to waste.....,

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alison1973
scottinthebrecks, Owner at Strattons Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Alison

thank you so much for your review and really pleased you & your partner enjoyed your birthday along with the dog. The countryside -the Brecks- in which the hotel is situated, is a fantastic place to walk, ride, run or cycle without having to encounter a road. I enjoy it daily with my dogs so pleased you felt so comfortable. Let me know when you come again and I'll give you more dog friendly local options and it would be great to meet up over coffee

best regards Vanessa
vanessascott1@gmail.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Best Western George Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
Park Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,092 reviews

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!