“What a nice surprise !!!”
Review of Strattons Hotel

Strattons Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Essex
“What a nice surprise !!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Just returned from a two night stay at Strattons Hotel. We were greeted by very friendly staff. We stayed in the Edie Suite which was a lovely room with everything you need even an ironing board and iron !! Food was absolutely fantastic with the most brilliant waiting staff. We would really recommend this if you need a relaxing break with good food and wine

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Xaghra, Malta
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I booked the Boudoir Room as a romantic getaway for myself and my Wife. I had, of course read all the reviews beforehand, so my expectations were very high. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home, relaxed and very welcome. Despite arriving a little early for check in, our room was ready for us and was as I would expect, pristine, comfortable and wonderfully quirky. Swaffham has little to offer in the way of lunchtime distractions so we took lunch in our room at the hotel. Strattons wine list offers a varied and well priced selection and their unique take on a Mezze selection was wonderful. One portion was more than adequate for the two of us. Dinner that evening was relaxed, unhurried and mouthwatering, again accompanied with an outstanding wine from Stratton's cellar. Breakfast the following morning was good, the boiled egs and marmite soldiers took my wife straight back to her childhood. I would struggle to say anything at all negative about this superb hotel. So much so, that we changed our plans and stayed an extra night on the spur of the moment. Nevertheless, the staff catered to our every whim and at our own request we got the opportunity to experience the Opium Suite. This suite was perfect; away from the main hotel building, beautifully decorated, comfortable and exactly what we required. Stratton's is without doubt one of the best hotel experiences I have had in the UK and I would recommend it with no hesitation. Swaffham has little to offer the tourist, but we will certainly be visiting Stratton's again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
nottingham
Reviewed 8 June 2009

First thing the staff were fantastic knowledgable and relaxed but still professional, the room was amazing not normally what i would have chosen so a welcome departure from the norm.Very relaxing even though it was out of the way for us well worth the detour.
Plus- great atmosphere, relaxing, ultra clean, great salad, lovely grounds, could go on.
Negative- Asparagus soup, small breakfast for vegetarians, to be fair neither would prevent me from a return trip and im fussy, many thanks strattons.
Shame the town is ailing but im sure will pick up.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I have stayed in many many hotels, large and small all over the world. To sum up the excellence of Strattons in Swaffham I have copied below the thank you that I sent them for our stay:

Dear Strattons,

Sadly more than a week has passed since we left you, but I wanted to write to say thank you for the most exceptionally excellent stay we enjoyed with you a couple of weeks ago.

I had wanted to write a letter, but in keeping with your philosophies I thought e-mail would save trees and transport! :-)

The moment we arrived the welcome from Ali was amazing – we felt so warmly welcomed and at home so quickly – it made it an unforgettable experience. Your reception staff are worth their weight in gold for the goodwill they create for your excellent hotel. We only enjoyed the 300 steps up the turbine as a result of calls from the hotel to get us a place!

The chickens and cats also make it feel far more comfortable than a standard hotel and your decoration and design of the rooms is magnificent.

The food is amazing and, of course, we left feeling we had eaten too much – but how can you not when it tastes that good?!

We currently live in a penthouse flat in Greenwich, and despite it being lovely here; we were blown away by your gardens and will certainly use your back garden as a model when the time comes for planning our own garden. On that subject, we were so taken by Norfolk during our stay with you that we will certainly consider moving there when we leave London in a few years.

There is no question that we will recommend you to any friends and family for a lovely break away if they want to spoil themselves.

Thank you again for the great deal of pleasure we had at Strattons. We had a terrible year last year while I was being treated for cancer and our stay with you really put a full stop after that and made us feel like we were LIVING again.

Kind regards; and best wishes to all your staff who looked after us so well.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I had a small wedding in July 2008. We chose 10 of our nearest and dearest to share our wedding breakfast at Strattons.

Prior to choosing our room for the two nights, we were given a tour of the hotel which meant we could have a snoop at all the rooms on offer. Each room is decorated to an incredibly high standard and is individual to the last. Every detail has been thought of and there are some lovely little touches to each area, room, stairwell and courtyard of the hotel. We stayed in "Boudoir" and loved it. The bed was huge, comfy, sumptuous and the bathroom was equiped with a large roll top bath which is a real treat.

Prior to our wedding lunch, we enjoyed canapes and drinks in the courtyard garden prior to our meal. The tables were decorated with sprinklings of rose petals and little tealights.

The food in the restaurant is stunning; locally and ethically sourced and prepared, cooked and presented to a very high standard. I couldn't have imagined a better lunch to share with people I love on my wedding day. We're still talking about how good the food was and are planning to return there with the same guests to celebrate our 1st Anniversary.

In the evening, our guests departed and we had use of a lovely, quiet courtyard where we shared tapas and the most delicious bottle of Pink Champagne, mulling over the day and relaxing in the tranquility this hotel offers.

Breakfast is delicious and there is a good choice on offer.

The service from the staff and owners was incredible and everyone in our little group was enchanted and bowled over by the hotel. The people that work here (be they owners or staff) are incrediby proud of their hotel and rightly so.

The art and sculpture on display here adorns every spare inch of the walls and corners of the building... it is an eclectic and beautiful collection. My Grandparents were both art and sculpture lecturers at Universities some years back and spent a long time touring and discovering the hotel.

My only downside was that I had to go home. I love this hotel and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2008
uk
Reviewed 25 April 2009

We went here for a quiet birthday getaway and weren't disappointed. The room (Linen) was indeed small, and the balcony would be more use in the summer, but we loved the colourful artwork, the quirky decor, the friendly staff and the valentines decorations. It was great for one night but would have been too claustrophobic for two nights.

We didn;t mind the bathroom being in the room, but there was an unnecessary step in the middle of the bathroom which wasn;t obvious, and caused us problems and was a bit of a health and safety issue.

Dinner was OK, as usual the menu is rather biased towards meat and fish and as vegetarians we had little to choose from - the only thing we could have included goat's cheese which fortunately was OK for my cows-mile-allergic partner. Why can't these hotels cater better to special diets?! There didn't seem to be any difference in terms of quantity served, between the £11 'light meals' and the £22 'mains'. The breakfast was sumptuous.

PS a comment in response to the review below about the bed being too small (the management say the bed is a 'standard double at 6x4 feet). In the UK, double beds are 4.5 feet wide and so a 4 foot bed would indeed have felt like a tight squeeze! I hope the managers take this on board.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2009

We stayed here for the first night of our honeymoon last year. I picked it because we wanted to stay somewhere special and memorable, and it was recommended to me by someone who said she despite having travelled extensively worldwide, this was her favourite hotel!

If you hate chintzy, dated decor, horrible patterned carpets, but equally want to avoid the typical bland, travel-lodge-esque, could-be-anywhere interiors of modern hotels, and love eccentric, ecclectic interiors and creative design, then this is the place for you. There is a strong environmental policy and locally sourced food as well, which is also attractive. We thought the place was beautifully decorated, and I loved the unusual and creative art work displayed around the place. It was so nice to stay somewhere with so much that not only looked gorgeous but was also actually interesting and creative.

We arrived to a blazing fire and passed two extremely decorative Siamese cats on the stairs. We had chosen the Portico room, which was pretty, cosy and romantic with plenty of room and an ensuite bathroom with handmade mermaid mosaic. My only complaint about the entire visit would be that we hadn't realised that the bed was actually two twins pushed together, and they separated slightly during the night, which was annoying, and I think should have been mentioned on booking. A superking mattress on top of the two frames would have solved this problem.

The breakfast in the attractive and welcoming dining room was leisurely, well prepared and delicious and there was an excellent variety on offer. The chickens wandering past outside added to the charm. The staff were friendly, unobtrusive, helpful and efficient.

We are local so knew that Swaffham is a quiet market town, but Norfolk is a beautiful place to visit with a wild and remote coastline, and Norwich, about an hour's drive, is officially one of the best shopping locations in the UK as well as being a lively and interesting, historical city with several theatres, cinemas, dozens of restaurants, pubs etc.

Strattons is not cheap or absolutely perfect (hooray) but I think well worth paying for something individual, original and unique in an increasingly corporate, chain-dominated culture, and we loved it.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elliemartin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
Titchwell Manor Hotel
Titchwell Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Titchwell
Greenbanks Country Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Strattons Hotel? Share your experiences!