“Very average”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Swaffham
Oxford
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed overnight following a party. Beds were hard as we're the pillows. Shower in bathroom literally dribbled and was useless. Had to use the bath which was not as convenient. Room above us was noisy as the floorboards creaked continuously, difficult one to solve I guess in a very old building. No coffee on our tray in bedroom. Glad it was only an overnight stop. However, breakfast was very good. Help yourself style and plenty to choose from. Staff seemed friendly too.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the new part at the rear of the hotel, it is much quieter and presumably the shower...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at BEST WESTERN George Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for your review.

My sincere apologies for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion.

I was disappoimted to read of your unforunate stay at the George Hotel. I will pass your comments on to my two operational managers at the hotel for their comments.

Once again my since apologies.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel with several members of my family at the beginning of March as we travelled to Swaffham to attend a family event. We had several rooms based in various parts of the hotel. All were larger than expected, comfortable and clean. I was booked into a single room but was allocated a nice double. However what was really noticable about the hotel was how friendly and helpful the staff were. Everyone I encountered seemed to have a vested interest in being as helpful as possible and did so very genuinely. In our short stay we interacted with bar staff, restaurant staff, breakfast staff, reception staff, and housekeeping staff, all of home shared the same attitude. I stay in various hotels several times a year but the level of service far exceeded what I expected for the star rating/price.

We had a nice meal in the restaurant in the evening. The menu was pub classics, all done well and using good quality ingredients. The breakfast menu was more extensive than antipcated, and my poached eggs were cooked promptly and perfectly. The staff were helpful when we changed tables halfway through breakfast to accomodate additonal family members.

I asked the reception staff for various miscellaneous items all of which were provided promptly with no questions asked.

I would definitely recommned this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at BEST WESTERN George Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Many thanks for your recent positive review

I will pass this on to management and staff who will be very please to read your kind comments.

East Midlands, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed at the George for one night for a business meeting in the area. The rooms are very tired and in need of some TLC in terms of decor, and there was a terrible draft coming throught he window. It was very cold and the radiator was not cutting it due tot he draft. I spoke to reception and they were very understanding and found a heater for straught away which helped.
The shower was more of a dribble which was disappointing but for £50 inc. breakfast it was worth it. Breakfast was a bit ropey, but all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Andrew P, Hotel Group Operations Manager at BEST WESTERN George Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Many thanks for your recent review.

We have just recently brought this hotel and we are very hopeful we will be able to resolve all the problems and retain the hard working friendly staff.

Barnstaple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

We checked into The George at late notice and we were given a lovely big comfy room with everything that you would need after a long drive.The price was very reasonable and the staff so friendly and helpful.. The breakfast was not brilliant but good enough .. We would come again without hesitation.

Room Tip: only saw one room at the front and that was excellent.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your recent review.

I was pleased to read you had enjoyed your stay and that you would return again to the hotel.

I will pass this on to my management and team for their information of which I am sure they will be pleased.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swaffham
Strattons Hotel
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 2 in Mundford
Greenbanks Country Hotel & Restaurant
#26 of 50 in Norwich

Been to BEST WESTERN George Hotel? Share your experiences!