Review of The Roost

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Jane S
Margate, United Kingdom
“Awful dangerous main road”
Reviewed 5 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

It's hard to review this cottage. Based on the property alone I would have given it 4 stars, but because it is situated on a long straight stretch of a very busy main road where the traffic hurtles along, I have only given 3. Based purely on the location it would have scored 1. I did wonder when I booked it fairly late on why it was still available.
We arrived in the pouring rain after a very slow last part of the journey gasping for a cuppa so imagine our dismay to find there was no welcome bottle of milk, we hadn't brought any with us because there's always milk left in holiday houses so at least one can have a cup of tea on arrival. There was a bottle of apple juice which the boys enjoyed; not quite the same as a cup of tea. Actually, although it is a small thing,we didn't feel welcomed to the cottage and the whole experience was very impersonal.
The cottage is attractive inside and nicely finished, well equipped kitchen although a non stick saucepan and some side plates would be useful. One thing we really didn't like was that the bathroom and kitchen were directly opposite each other actually we didn't think that was allowed. The bathroom being downstairs proved to be rather a pain. Quite a nice bathroom but I wouldn't describe it as luxurious. The bath took forever to fill and the taps were awkward to get to.
There were 4 of us staying, my daughter and grandsons 4 and 6 and myself. Getting the boys to the car each time was a bit hairy, we parked a few yards away from the property and my daughter wasn't really happy about leaving her car in the road but fortunately it was okay. There was parking available at the hotel along the road but we didn't want to have to walk back to the cottage with two children.
The area is quite nice and the beaches at Wells and nearer Brancaster worth a visit.
Also the Dinosaur Park at Lenwade(50 mins) and Pensthorpe Natural Park (30 mins) are excellent for children.
I don't like writing such a negative review but really couldn't recommend this cottage
especially for families with children or anyone who has mobility issues.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing