“Cheap but not the best”
Review of Abbey Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wymondham
Abbey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wymondham
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I had to book 4 rooms at this hotel because I was organising my friend's wedding and most of our mutual friends live far away. The wedding was a 2 day event so it made sense to book the rooms here especially as it was local. However one of the room's was double booked which we werent aware of until that night that we came to sleep the night. The other guest who had booked it had exactly the same room details we had, it was not amusing!
The other 3 rooms were ok standard rooms.
I complained to the abbey hotel staff afterwards and we were refunded back the price of one of the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Cheap prices can not make up for dirty sheets in this flea-ridden hell-hole. I needed to leave to shower somewhere else as I was afraid I caught some disease. I pity the neighborhood because the "hotel" seems to be used as a cheap option for all-night drinking and the guests on a Jeremy Kyle show. The cleanliness, noise and service do not even rank as terrrible, maybe diabolical.
Can't believe this beautiful location has this hostel located there.
Complaints are dealt with poorly, as I tried to leave within one hour of arrival and I was told that there are no refunds BY THE OWNER, who told me that because I paid one week ahead, they'd spent my money already.

AVOID!!!!

Room Tip: ANYWHERE BUT HERE, this place has a great view, but you probably want to see the view from outside t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ErinFLondon
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed 1 night Wymondham is a quiet and nice town with great character. The accomodation cost 39pounds for a suite for a night. The building is just a collection of rooms with access codes on the doors there is no reception or onsite staff. We was sent our two codes via e-mail. The front door code worked but the one for the room didn't and so we had to call for a new one the girl on the phone was polite. When we entered the room we could see a stool was broken and the floor looked dirty so straight away we e-mailed the company as it had advised us to in the e-mail. Although as we looked around more we saw that infact it just had not been hovered at all there were crisps on bedroom floor and stuff on bathroom and lounge floor so we called the agents and they sent cleaners round. We popped out for dinner but on return could see some areas had now been cleaned but the bedroom floor still had the crisps etc. The room also shared a wall with a communal bathroom so all you could hear was people bathing. The person we called was helpful and the room needed so tlc bout the cleaning needs to be hugely improved. It was cheap at 39pounds and so reasonable value but its just needs clean floors and basic cleaning. Bedding and towels were clean. Its ok for a 1 night stay on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We booked, what appeared to be, the best available double room for 2 nights at £50 per night for the beginning of December through Laterooms.com. Our first concern was the immediate debit of £100 followed by uncertainty about the actual 'hotel' i.e. no restaurant, no staff. We realised we made a mistake by booking this hotel so attempted to cancel/postpone the booking through Laterooms.com. We found Laterooms.com very helpful over the phone, however, to try and cancel we were informed we have to go through MJB directly. Our initial concerns were further compounded by the fact Laterooms.com themselves said they had received a number of complaints about the Abbey Hotel and MJB.

Using the phone number provided on the email confirmation from MJB, we called serveral times and found it very difficult to speak to someone who could actually help us. Eventually we spoke to a very rude and disinterested man (the owner) who refused to refund our money (despite the fact it is a December booking made in September, providing him 3 months notice!). After a very heated conversation we requested to view the room in advance so we could see what we were getting for our money.

On viewing the room, it didn't appear too bad, but having read more reviews and the disgusting lack of customer service we instantly knew this booking was a mistake. We have made the decision to cut our losses and cancel the booking and lose the upfront payment as there is no way we could stay there.

We have issued a formal complaint about MJB to Laterooms.com as we believe this 'hotel' should not be advertised as a suitable place to stay for anyone with an ounce of standards. What used to be a lovely hotel in a beautiful location has now become a nothing more than a hostel for unsavoury characters, including the owner.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I realise that having no receptionist is obviously a way of keeping prices down but when things go wrong it's rather alarming. We had booked the hotel online. The system is that you are sent codes by email or text to allow you to enter. We left home on Monday and hadn't recieved an email or text with the codes by Friday, the evening of our stay. Several phone calls back and forth from the hotel to the booking site we were eventually given 'codes'. The front door had been left open allowing us to enter, however the room code did not allow us to enter. In the hallway there was a notice' in event of emergencies dial this number' so we did. Apparently emergencies can only happen during office hours as the recorded voice informed us. Surely this contravenes some health & safety laws??? We eventually found a floor to sleep on as we have relatives in Wymondham but the idea was not to impose on them, that's why we booked the hotel. My husband has since contacted the hotel to complain. They won't do anything to reimburse us until and unless we send them the wrong codes, which implies that we are telling porkies. Surely they could ask the elusive cleaner if the room had been slept in!!! This was an appalling service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennifer91
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on Sept 5th for one night whilst on business. I arrived late in the evening. I had booked a single room for £14.00 and was prepared for the room to basic. I had received an email from the company prior with a series of codes to access the front door and then the room itself. When I got into the hotel I read the email again but it didn't state what room I was in. I called the mobile telephone number on the email and it was answered by a disinterested man on the other end of the line. He left me on hold for a few minutes and then told me I was in room 23. I couldn't find room 23 as the bedroom numbers seemed to stop well before that so I called back. I asked 'where exactly is room 23?' He asked me to hold again and then he came back on and said 'I can't remember where it is.' he then put me on hold again and a short time later the line was cut. I tried to call back repeatedly but it just kept going through to voicemail. I left a message and constantly wandered the corridors and stairwells with no joy. I felt utterly abandoned at 10pm with nowhere to stay. Whilst wandering the filthy corridors I could hear all manner of cackling and laughing and what sounded like drunk people in their rooms. I trawled through the booking emails again and this time found a landline number. I called that and the same guy from the mobile answered. He sounded disappointed to hear from me again and without an apology or explanation for the phone cutting out said 'i think your room might be round the back of the hotel.' I left the front door swinging behind me as the key code wasn't working and went round the back. I walked straight into the back door again as the door this time had been propped open and found my room. I put the key code in and opened the door. The room was barely bigger than the single bed with no windows and a small table. It looked like a cell. The carpets were filthy and the bin full of rubbish. The bed however appeared to have clean bedding on and clean towels were there. I went to find a toilet only to find that the toilet was in the bathroom which someone was occupying so I returned to my room. I eventually got into the bathroom and there was just a bath there filthy having just been used with no equipment to clean it. I went back into the front entrance and found the showers which also had a key code. I hadnt been sent the code so I walked straight out of the hotel and down to the nearest pub. I returned to the room to have a poor nights sleep. I awoke at 6am quickly gathered my things and left. I like to think of myself as rather stoic being an ex military man but this place was unbelievable. I can only tell you of my experience of staying in a single room. I have travelled extensively throughout the world and I never thought that I would say it but that was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank upcheckonetwo
Reviewed 27 August 2012

A bargin at 12pound,not the ritz,but we had a clean room,clean duvet and pillows as u could smell washing powder!hot water,kettle,tv.we had been camping nite before so wanted a warm room for the nite which we got.all this place needs is a good makeover,its in a great location could be a great hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wymondham
Townhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barnham Broom
Hethersett Lodge B&B
Hethersett Lodge B&B
#1 of 2 in Hethersett

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!