“Horrific!”
Review of Abbey Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wymondham
Abbey Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wymondham
London, United Kingdom
“Horrific!”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I arrived on Saturday 17th november, parked outside on the road as couldn't find a car park, walked in to find no reception area just rooms, so called the mobile number and a helpful lady text me the codes to get into the room. I had room 23 and my friends booked a double ensuite room. My room number 23 was located round the corner at the back, when I opened the door I was met by lots of screaming kids, giving me looks whilst walking in as if I was intruding in there home! Got into the room, a single bed a table and chair, a prison would of been better! There was not even a window, so no health and safety so if there was a fire in the main building, you would not get out! There was no 'shared bathroom' to be seen, I think it was outside and in the front entrance to a shared bathroom! There was screaming the whole time whilst there and this was at 7pm in the evening!

After I went outside as had 0 signal in the room to find groups staying in the hotel all seemed like living, smoking and shouting, I didnt feel safe at all, I felt my car was going to get damaged and room broken into and things stolen.

After 10 minutes I left, I think people are actually living in this hotel like a hostel where people live.

The rooms at the front with the big windows didnt look to bad so if u do have to book here try and get them rooms.

Yes for £15 a night is stupidly cheap- however this hotel shouldn't be open, im sure health and safety and a hotel inspector needs to come to this and it would probably be closed, however has got the potential if improvements are made.

In the end I went after 10 minutes and paid £70 for a family room with my friends where I could feel safe.

I will be contacting booking.com and other websites to get this hotel of there site! its horrific do not book!!! message me for any questions im happy to help!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here try and get a room which faces the front with the big windows- other rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Becky112

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I don't know if we just struck lucky by booking room 20 at Abbey Hotel but for £25.55 we thought the room was amazing. 5 out of 5 well deserved for value for money. The room was very large (about 20ft x 15ft) and spacious. There were many nice finishing touches such as artwork and ornaments placed around the room. There was even a little Wood burner/flame effect little electric fire which added a touch of coziness. The bathroom was also much bigger than you woud expect with a lovely roll top bath. OK the bed was a little flimsy but perfectly comfortable and the towels were a bit rough and thin, but I think when rooms are being booked at this price expectations should be realistic and we were more than satisfied. I should also add the code for the room arrived the day after I made the booking and we had no problems gaining access to the room.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I had to book 4 rooms at this hotel because I was organising my friend's wedding and most of our mutual friends live far away. The wedding was a 2 day event so it made sense to book the rooms here especially as it was local. However one of the room's was double booked which we werent aware of until that night that we came to sleep the night. The other guest who had booked it had exactly the same room details we had, it was not amusing!
The other 3 rooms were ok standard rooms.
I complained to the abbey hotel staff afterwards and we were refunded back the price of one of the rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Cheap prices can not make up for dirty sheets in this flea-ridden hell-hole. I needed to leave to shower somewhere else as I was afraid I caught some disease. I pity the neighborhood because the "hotel" seems to be used as a cheap option for all-night drinking and the guests on a Jeremy Kyle show. The cleanliness, noise and service do not even rank as terrrible, maybe diabolical.
Can't believe this beautiful location has this hostel located there.
Complaints are dealt with poorly, as I tried to leave within one hour of arrival and I was told that there are no refunds BY THE OWNER, who told me that because I paid one week ahead, they'd spent my money already.

AVOID!!!!

Room Tip: ANYWHERE BUT HERE, this place has a great view, but you probably want to see the view from outside t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ErinFLondon
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed 1 night Wymondham is a quiet and nice town with great character. The accomodation cost 39pounds for a suite for a night. The building is just a collection of rooms with access codes on the doors there is no reception or onsite staff. We was sent our two codes via e-mail. The front door code worked but the one for the room didn't and so we had to call for a new one the girl on the phone was polite. When we entered the room we could see a stool was broken and the floor looked dirty so straight away we e-mailed the company as it had advised us to in the e-mail. Although as we looked around more we saw that infact it just had not been hovered at all there were crisps on bedroom floor and stuff on bathroom and lounge floor so we called the agents and they sent cleaners round. We popped out for dinner but on return could see some areas had now been cleaned but the bedroom floor still had the crisps etc. The room also shared a wall with a communal bathroom so all you could hear was people bathing. The person we called was helpful and the room needed so tlc bout the cleaning needs to be hugely improved. It was cheap at 39pounds and so reasonable value but its just needs clean floors and basic cleaning. Bedding and towels were clean. Its ok for a 1 night stay on a budget.

• Stayed September 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We booked, what appeared to be, the best available double room for 2 nights at £50 per night for the beginning of December through Laterooms.com. Our first concern was the immediate debit of £100 followed by uncertainty about the actual 'hotel' i.e. no restaurant, no staff. We realised we made a mistake by booking this hotel so attempted to cancel/postpone the booking through Laterooms.com. We found Laterooms.com very helpful over the phone, however, to try and cancel we were informed we have to go through MJB directly. Our initial concerns were further compounded by the fact Laterooms.com themselves said they had received a number of complaints about the Abbey Hotel and MJB.

Using the phone number provided on the email confirmation from MJB, we called serveral times and found it very difficult to speak to someone who could actually help us. Eventually we spoke to a very rude and disinterested man (the owner) who refused to refund our money (despite the fact it is a December booking made in September, providing him 3 months notice!). After a very heated conversation we requested to view the room in advance so we could see what we were getting for our money.

On viewing the room, it didn't appear too bad, but having read more reviews and the disgusting lack of customer service we instantly knew this booking was a mistake. We have made the decision to cut our losses and cancel the booking and lose the upfront payment as there is no way we could stay there.

We have issued a formal complaint about MJB to Laterooms.com as we believe this 'hotel' should not be advertised as a suitable place to stay for anyone with an ounce of standards. What used to be a lovely hotel in a beautiful location has now become a nothing more than a hostel for unsavoury characters, including the owner.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I realise that having no receptionist is obviously a way of keeping prices down but when things go wrong it's rather alarming. We had booked the hotel online. The system is that you are sent codes by email or text to allow you to enter. We left home on Monday and hadn't recieved an email or text with the codes by Friday, the evening of our stay. Several phone calls back and forth from the hotel to the booking site we were eventually given 'codes'. The front door had been left open allowing us to enter, however the room code did not allow us to enter. In the hallway there was a notice' in event of emergencies dial this number' so we did. Apparently emergencies can only happen during office hours as the recorded voice informed us. Surely this contravenes some health & safety laws??? We eventually found a floor to sleep on as we have relatives in Wymondham but the idea was not to impose on them, that's why we booked the hotel. My husband has since contacted the hotel to complain. They won't do anything to reimburse us until and unless we send them the wrong codes, which implies that we are telling porkies. Surely they could ask the elusive cleaner if the room had been slept in!!! This was an appalling service.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennifer91
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wymondham
Townhouse Hotel
Maids Head Hotel
Maids Head Hotel
#4 of 50 in Norwich
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,102 reviews

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!