“Back on top form”
Review of The George

The George
Ranked #1 of 4 Cavendish B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Having had a bit of bad experience last rime around, we decided to give this old favourite another go and were very glad that we did.

Despite the fact that they were very busy, service was efficient and attentive, (as well as friendly).

We both really enjoyed a delicious smoked mackrel salad starter and for mains I had a really wonderful pork loin with pears,celeriac and toasted pine nuts, while my wife enjoyed her seafood pasta.

I'm glad to say that this place is back on our regular haunts list!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank c w
Bonnie S, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

We are so glad you decided to give us another chance and we managed to change your opinion of The George. As a young business we are always striving to maintain high standards front and back of house and it is from receiving honest comments from our customers that help us grow as a business.
We look forward to seeing you at The George in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I decided to surprise my wife on Valentines day and book a night at The George. ( We have also booked with friends for later in the year so it would give us an idea what to expect ).
On arrival we were offered a drink from the bar and taken to our room. We had room 1 which overlooked the road which was quite busy but didnt bother us too much.The room was very nice with a lovely comfy bed. We had booked our meal for 8.o clock and was seated as very promptly. Our meal was very good. Its obvious they use fine local produce. The steaks were cooked to our liking. There were also some good beers on tap. My wife ordered the The white Chocolate bavarois with passion fruit which she decribes as th.e best sweet she has ever tasted.The resaurant has a very nice atmosphere.After a good nights sleep we had a very good breakfast with Greek yoghurt and fruit and a full English with again the finest prodce with mushrooms to die for. Also real orange juice. From the moment we arrived until the time we left we were aware the staff are young,enthusiastic and very polite and friendly. We are already looking forward to returning

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank haventravellers5
Lewis B, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay on valentines day and that you will be returning to us in the summer with friends. It is always comforting to hear from our guests that the staff enthusiasm and passion both front of house and kitchen is well received by our customers

We look forward to seeing you at The George in the near future,

Bonnie Steel.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

3 of us dined at The George for the first time. The menu is not extensive but for me that is a good thing as it usually means the emphasis is on quality not quantity. We were not disappointed. 2 of us had the beef fillet which was done to perfection and the lamb was excellent. The restaurant was reasonably busy and the service and welcome was friendly and efficient. Would return. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MarkinAlicante

Thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The George in the near future.

Bonnie Steel

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I had a very pleasant stay at the George which is effectively a restaurant with rooms
The welcome was warm and friendly
The room was comfortable
The decor appealed to us,and we felt very relaxed.Considerable thought has been given to the decor, and the lighting created the right ambience.The interior designer is to be congratulated.
A daily paper and current magazines provided in the bar
The breakfast was just right with yogurt and berries a pleasant change .No concentrate orange juice here but the real thing...freshly made juice
The restaurant was fully booked,We were fortunate to be offered an early meal which we enjoyed.The real ale on offer was great and the wine list fair.
As the restaurant filled there was a great atmosphere .Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves,and the staff seemed to cope admirably.
Cavendish is a beautiful village and we hope to return to the George in the spring and enjoy an aperitif sitting in the sun on the bench in the front of the George watching the world go by
Two small points:
1.Having gone to the trouble of preparing fresh orange juice and butter in a dish,it was a shame we were served with jam in standard little pots.I am sure that local jams would be much appreciated.
2.My wife and I do not eat meat.She thought the lemon sole first class.There was only one vegetarian option.Perhaps one other could have been included on the menu.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and recommend the George

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cyfreithwr

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to you returning to The George in the spring.

Bonnie Steel

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had been fans of this place for a long time, but our last visit was an absolute nightmare.

Firstly we were sat in the hallway, secondly they managed to serve one of our mains as the wrong dish, so took both away and then eventually came back with mine that had been kept warm and was now like greasy rubber and hence inedible and my partners which was the tiniest piece of fish I have ever seen laying on top of the biggest stodgiest, badly burnt pile of what they claimed was risotto. Both dishes were awful and got returned.

To top this off they had a party of 18 booked in who took over the place, so that you had to shout to make yourself heard. When we complained about our mains, we were given a patronising talk about how it was a shame that we had ordered things that we didnt like! Priceless.

Give this a wide bearth until they learn some customer service.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank c w
Lewis B, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

I am very sorry that you feel this way. My colleague contacted your partner as she knows her from the village to address your concerns.

She explained about the risotto that accompanies the monkfish dish. The risotto nero pave is made with squid ink, giving it a unique deep black colour and flavour, it is set and then pan fried, which she perhaps was not expecting. Many people have had the dish and have enjoyed it, but I appreciate that if you are unaware of what risotto nero is it may be a shock, perhaps we should take time to explain the dish more fully.

I have spoken to my chef, who was working on Saturday night and remembered your table. The order was put through incorrectly and once he was made aware of this, he worked as quickly as he could to get the correct dishes out.

When the food came back, realising a whole new dish had to be cooked, he made the decision to cook an entirely new ox cheek dish as well, so that it wasn't hanging around then needing re-heating. He assures me that the dish was cooked again entirely.

At The George, we like to be able to cater for parties of all sizes, I am sorry that you felt them to be a bit loud.

If food is sent back to the kitchen it is taken very seriously and we always check the dishes to ensure they meet our high standards. Customer satisfaction is of the upmost importance to us. I am sad that you were not satisfied with your meal and I was told that there was a deduction on your bill.

I have every confidence that nothing that comes out of our kitchen could be labelled as awful and that our front of house staff do their very best to meet the needs of all of our customers.

I hope I am able to welcome you back to The George again soon.

Lewis Bennet

Reviewed 4 January 2012

A perfect English countryside getaway! We loved our night in this beautiful old inn with tastefully decorated and renovated large rooms. A delight. We stayed one night with our four children and will definitely be back. From the personalized service and warm welcome to the absolutely delicious and hearty breakfast, every aspect of our stay was perfect. I would definitely recommend this lovely inn to other travellers. We had dinner in the evening and it was imaginative, fresh and innovative. My husband and I both travel a lot internationally for our work and even our high standards were satisfied. We are very happy to have discovered this little gem. I must mention that my 96-year-old great aunt lives in Cavendish and we were there to visit her. The staff is amazing with her, taking into account her special wishes and treating her like family: thank you!

Room Tip: We had a double room and a large family room on the front of the building. Our double room was a bit...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank shermok
Lewis B, Owner at The George, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always a real morale boost to us and all the staff to hear such kind words. Your aunt is a very special customer here at The George and we all think she is a very special lady. We hope to see you again next time you are visiting Cavendish.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I had booked a table for 4 of us after the Fireworks display held on Cavendish Green on Guy Fawkes night. The place was really busy but we were still greeted personally on arrival and shown through to the bar for pre-dinner drinks This was the first lovely surprise - a delicious spicy mulled wine had been prepared to warm people up after the display and there was a splendid Nethergate real ale on hand pump.
There was much discussion whilst choosing because the choices were so tempting –but that gave us a good excuse to devour a platter of fresh Mersea Oysters whilst we completed our choices - finally we all decided on different dishes so that we could try each others !

The restaurant turned out to be completely full that evening (so glad we had booked !) - there was a great atmosphere and a real Buzz about the place, which is so refreshing. But nothing was too much trouble for the staff who, despite being really busy, were very attentive and friendly.
All of the dishes served to us that evening really were delicious and beautifully presented - this is a kitchen on top form.
Some lovely desserts (including special “sample pots” for those that couldn`t make up their minds again) expressos and a few too many licquers rounded off a great evening.

We have already booked at The George again in December.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
Bell Hotel
#4 of 4 in Cavendish
The Bull Inn
The Bull Inn
#3 of 4 in Cavendish

Been to The George? Share your experiences!