All reviews village green ribeye steak bed and breakfast deal presented meal stour valley wild garlic soup friendly waitress look forward to a return visit single traveller bar and waiting staff long melford gastro pub overnight stay with dinner church bells lovely comfy bed lunch with friends pre dinner drinks
Reviewed 28 October 2017

Whenever I am working in Cavendish I always visit the George. Very good range of beers and excellent food. Whether you choose to eat in the dining room or the bar the result is the same. Satisfaction.
Frankie (Patterdale Terrier) accompanies me everywhere and he rates the George very highly! The bar and waiting staff are very welcoming and Frankie enjoys sitting near the bar watching the action.
It is also great as a non local to come to a pub and be made welcome by the other locals in the bar. What more can you hope for. A welcoming smile, a good pint and a hearty meal.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2017 via mobile

I arrived early to speak to Tim the Chef about my allergies. My husband and I were visiting Cavendish to join special friends for a large Sunday lunchtime Birthday do. Tim was fantastically attentive and really cared about my enjoyment. He seemed to genuinely want me to love my lunch despite having to make me a different gravy. Throughout the afternoon all the staff were fabulous. We had a fantastic time.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

Have passed The George many times but never stopped. On a whim, night before, booked afternoon tea for two. Arrived and greeted by very friendly staff. The restaurant is very nice and well laid out.
After obligatory prosecco, afternoon tea arrived. Little rolls (three different fillings), petite four. Freshly baked warm scones with homemade jam and cream. All of it was delicious. The waitress (very pleasant and informative) told us everything was made on site that morning. Made it even better.
This is a great little find. At £15 pp for afternoon tea, it is excellent value.
We have now booked for dinner and I will certainly be availing of the great winter nights offer.
If you are passing, don't wait as long as we did, stop off and enjoy lovely restaurant, pleasant staff and very tasty food. It will not disappoint.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We stayed mid-week for our wedding anniversary, 23rd August 2017. Head Chef, Tim, excelled with his dishes. Freshly prepared and cooked to order, and how delicious it was. Honestly one of the best dinners we have ever had. You can see inside the kitchen as he is cooking too, which is always great. We stayed over and the room was perfect. Breakfast was sensational too. A 16th century building with such style and a homely feel. All staff were welcoming and couldn't do enough for you. Can't wait to go again. Book early, as there are only 4 rooms! Wendy and Maurice, Colchester.

Room Tip: With only four rooms, book early. All rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

We spent the night at The George for my partner's birthday as part of the 'dinner, bed & breakfast deal which was great value for money. We spent the night in room 2 which is fabulous & has a great view of the village. We've eaten in the restaurant before but the food was even better this time around. The ribeye steak was cooked to perfection & the chocolate dessert was delicious. The staff could not have been more friendly & accommodating. We will definitely be making another visit.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple