All reviews village green ribeye steak bed and breakfast deal presented meal stour valley wild garlic soup friendly waitress look forward to a return visit single traveller bar and waiting staff long melford gastro pub overnight stay with dinner church bells lovely comfy bed lunch with friends pre dinner drinks
Reviewed 16 January 2018

We had a lovely family meal, the two older waitresses where very helpful and really polite and couldnt do enough for us. The meal was very good and very tasty. Unfortunately the thing that let it down was the two younger blonde waitresses the girls where very rude and unhelpful and looked totally miserable the whole time.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie S
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

To get away from the city for a couple of nights, my wife and I had a weekend at The George.
We stayed in a bedroom at the front of building which was decorated well and had some lovely unique touches.
It was well equipped with an amazing bath shower and cozy sofa overlooking the village green.

You might not spend that much time in the room though as its all about the food at this pub!
We had dinner, 2 breakfasts and a Sunday roast here and they were all freshly cooked, made with love, local fresh ingredients and very tasty.

I recommend the Sunday roast beef and the brilliant burger from the a la carte menu!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I, along with 3 other couples just spent a weekend at The George for our Christmas child-free get together. What can I say? We had the best weekend we’ve had in a long, long time. We had dinner on Saturday evening which was absolutely fantastic (I have never tasted such amazing gravy in my life!) The service was impeccable, the surrounding festive and cosy and the room we stayed in was beautiful. We had the breakfast the following morning which was absolutely lovely and to make everything even more perfect it snowed overnight and the village looked picture perfect when we left. I can not recommend The George enough!! Thank you x

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2017

This is the second time I have enjoyed the Winter Break room, bed and breakfast deal at The George. This is a delightful place with absolutely great food including vegetarian. I had the best restaurant vegetarian meal here - mushroom wellington and my wife had the best steak she had ever eaten. Breakfast and lunch offerings are equally great, especially the Ploughmans. 10 out of 10 for the food. The service is, as other reviewers have said, a little slow but the food is worth it. The only negative was that we booked a room at the front but ended up being given a room at the back which was a little disappointing. I will visit again but next time I will book by phone and not the internet.

Stayed: December 2017
1  Thank pomhughes
Reviewed 27 November 2017

We met friends here for Sunday lunch. The premises were very clean and tidy, we were welcomed nicely and the restaurant was well staffed by helpful, cheerful, waitresses. It was extremely busy but, fortunately, we had booked. We had to wait a little longer than usual for our orders to be taken, but were not in a hurry.

A couple of roast meals were on offer as well as the normal a la carte and fixed price set menu, so there was variety and a good choice. Some of the offerings were a little unusual and attractive - eel as a starter, for example (delicious!).

We chose differently and were broadly all very pleased with our choice, food presentation, quality and taste. The only less than positive comment was that the amount (or strength) of chorizo in the risotto provided a flavour that overwhelmed the other ingredients. When it came to it, one of the desert choices had already run out; possibly a bit earlier than it should have.

The restaurant, staff and food were all very good and the final bill, including a good bottle of wine, was not overly expensive. We would be happy to return.

We did not see or use the hotel facilities that are available.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends