“We love this place and so does our dog!”

and 1 more site!
The Ship at Dunwich
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunwich
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“We love this place and so does our dog!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We've stayed here twice, and drunk and eaten in the bar many more times. We find it incredibly relaxing, largely due to the efficiency and friendliness of the staff. On our last visit, we had a little problem with our room (noisy extractor fan downstairs), which was dealt with immediately by moving us to another room. The whole place is very dog-friendly. All in all a fantastic place to stay, and we'll be back again in January.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My friend and I stayed here last week, lovely hotel, friendly staff and good food. Bit of a mix up on the rooms but it was quickly sorted out. The rooms were really nice and the bar had a friendly atomsphere. We had the fish and chips which we both enjoyed. Dog friendly, great place to stay. We will return, as we were told they have jazz nights etc.

Room Tip: Greyfriars (double and single bedded room)which was outside the main hotel is a very nice room, good...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank allyabbs
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Lovely get away from it all type Inn with very friendly helpful staff. . The experience is very informal and relaxed throughout. The bar is olde worlde with a nautical theme and serves great food beer and cider. It is a 2 minute walk from a beautiful deserted beach and is surrounded by forestry and heathland. The room was very comfortable and spacious with a nicely decorated well fitted spacious en suite bathroom with good shower. Breakfast was excellent, offering local produce including locally reared pork, and local kippers. A choice of 3 eating areas for meals including conservatory. Lovely spacious garden to sit in where you can look at an ancient fig tree and listen to the waves hitting the beach. A little piece of heaven.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff, they are very helpful and accomodating
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Comfortable, friendly , good service at a reasonable price. What more can you ask.
Although a little of the beaten track Dunwich is a fasinating place and well worth a visit. The Ship made the break even more worthwhile.
We ate in and I can strongly recommend the sea bass.

Room Tip: Car Park annex.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I hunted a place out that I could take my hound & do some beautiful walks in the Suffolk countryside & coastal area on my own. This so completely ticked all the boxes, I'm still in shock by how perfect it was! I've already got another visit booked in for the end of the month, lovely clean rooms & an atmosphere that sort of exuded "you'll enjoy yourself here, everyone does". I had a wonderful evening meal & delicious breakfast really unusual menu, everything locally sourced, great chef, clearly the guy loves & understands food. Dog welcome in conservatory & courtyard & garden so I whilst I was solo she was allowed to join me. Very friendly staff & great location, I even did an evening walk along the beach - 4min walk away.

Room Tip: The rooms are listed as Best & Good , mine with dog accepted was Good & it was lovely!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

The Ship at Dunwich is popular and it is easy to see why. The location could hardly be better - a few minutes walk from a shingle beach that goes on for miles and easy access to attractive heathland and Minsmere bird reserve, plus an old smuggling inn that has plenty of "Ooh Aaah" factor. We stayed overnight and enjoyed lunch and the large cooked breakfast there. Adnams on tap is a great attraction and the staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful.

Less good was the smell of dog in our room, even though we had asked for a room in a dog-free zone. We just managed to squeeze into our tiny bedroom in the annexe. The steeply sloping garden that is ideal for a drink and for the kids to play also provided a perfect natural amphitheatre looking directly into our room so that we had to keep the curtains closed throughout our stay. Some non-trendy nets on a curtain track would make the stay a lot better.

Room Tip: Avoid a room in the annex and ask for one that is not used for dogs
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the charming Ship at Dunwich

The pub is perfectly located for strolls along the wild dunwich beach ( with in 200 m)
It is a very pretty pub with excellent food I had tasty sole which was very fresh for my eve meal and they serve a hearty cooked breakfast( and even a sausage for my dog) the pub is very dog friendly and I was able to bring him to dinner and breakfast with me in the conservatory area.

My room on the first floor of the main building was clean and fresh in tones of white with a modern ensuite shower with good pressure I even had a view out over the marsh within sight of the sea.
The bed and pillows were very comfy and the tv supproted freeview and the pub provides free wifi for guests
The staff at the pub are all very friendly and on hand to give advice re the local area
I had a super time as did my furry friend we will deff return all in all a reasonable room rate with great food and hospitality.

Room Tip: guild hall is a lovely room with great views
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunwich
The Westleton Crown
#1 of 1 in Yoxford
The Crown
The Crown
#3 of 4 in Southwold

Been to The Ship at Dunwich? Share your experiences!