“Went above and beyond.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunwich
Kent
“Went above and beyond.”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here for one night on the eve of a Coastal half marathon starting and finishing in the village. Was lucky to get a room as it quickly filled up. Stayed with my two dogs, one of whom was competing with me. M25 and A12 hell on a Friday saw me arrive later than I intended but the staff took time out of a busy evening service to show me my room and everything I'd need. My friends had already arrived and were about to order supper so I joined them, dogs are allowed in the dining room if well behaved, I appreciate that in a rural establishment. Food was great and reasonably priced. Room was cosy but very well appointed with lots of little extras which were very welcome. I was accommodated with a request for an early/sharp-ish breakfast. As I was only there for one night and the village was about to be over-run with competitors it wouldn't have been unreasonable for the landlord to refuse my request of leaving my car in their car park until after the race, but not only did he agree with a smile, but because my old dog wasn't racing I had to leave him sleeping in the car with the windows down but the landlord was happy to keep my key and even went out and checked on him a couple of times while I was racing. On a busy day for him with the pub crowded for lunch I was touched at his concern and assistance. A great location for walking on the beach or in the protected heathlands surrounding the village as well as just a great place to stay if you want to get away for a few days and enjoy good food and fresh air. I hope to come back very soon.

Room Tip: Having the dogs, it was suggested I had a room that opened onto the car park and had easy access to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 7RufusG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
texas
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Arrived on a Thursday afternoon with no staff to be found...had to open a door to an office to announce our arrival. Shown to our room, Blackfriars, at the top of two flights of stairs in the attic...two rooms, one bathroom and an odd hallway with a giant beanbag on the floor and some hooks on the wall that we presumed were intended to serve as a wardrobe or closet. Even at 5 ft 5 in tall, we had to be careful not to hit our head on the sloping ceilings. Rooms were very sparce...kettle was sitting on the floor and to add water to it you had to fill a cup and fill as the kettle could not fit under the bathroom tap. The coffee/tea/tv area could be better arranged. Some shelves would have helped at the bathroom sink area and everything could have used a coat of paint. Our rooms were so hot we just turned off the heat. Maybe after coming from a B & B in Woolpit where every detail was taken care of, our expectations were not quite met at the Ship. Worst part was we were promised a marsh view but had a laundry room view although the room rate was adjusted when we brought this to their attention. Breakfast was great and servers attentive, food in general at the restaurant was good but expensive. It seemed odd to have to go into the bar and wait your turn to order your meal or a drink or even a glass of water. Are they that short staffed? Does not make for a relaxing dinner. Great location...it wouldn't take much to make this a first rate destination.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We had an out of season weekend at the Ship. I had heard mixed reviews, so was a little apprehensive. I have to say we loved it. The building is old and rambling, a tiny bit tatty in places, but it was end of season and is frequented by not only the London weekend set, but genuine locals, fishermen, ramblers and dog owners alike.

We took our two dogs for the weekend and both we and them were made to feel very welcome, indeed at breakfast the young and very polite waitress asked us if we would like some sausages for our two dogs as well as our own lovely cooked full English.

The bathroom and bedroom facilities were without fault and the food was excellent. There were plenty of good beers and ciders to choose from, and you will not be disappointed if you like open fires, beams and old flagstones etc. The wine was a bit dear by the glass, but this is genuinely the only criticism I could make.

The staff were very friendly and I would certainly go back. I thoroughly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: If you want a family room or have anyone who needs disabled access or just a walk in shower pick the...
2 Thank matt w
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The Ship Inn was in the right place fro a light lunch as we walked along the coastal path. Also handy for the Dunwich museum less than a 100 yds away. Service polite and efficient but the "light lunches" were a bit fancy and a bit pricey and not a lot of eating! As it was sunny we sat outside in the somewhat tired looking garden. It looks like a place that needs some TLC. The male toilets were not working so the disabled toilet had to be used which meant a bit of queue at times outside in the garden area....not very attractive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We first stayed here 12 years ago when it was a lovely village pub with decent food and cosy rooms. When we stayed here recently we discovered that it was a....lovely village pub with decent food and cosy rooms. In fact the food was better. The cooked breakfast was excellent, there were plenty of choices throughout the day and a specials board. Colin's Sticky Toffee Pudding is highly recommended by Mr Hobo. The beer was well kept and there were several choices available. Service was good - there was almost always someone at the bar during the day to answer queries. We reported a slight problem with the room and it was dealt with efficiently. This is a country pub, it's not a hotel, there may be times when the bar is unoccupied for a few minutes but there are always other staff around too. There is a lovely feel to this old place - plenty of different rooms downstairs to move to if you didn't want to stay in the bar - a large dining room, a smaller dining room, a conservatory, outside courtyard area and large sloping beer garden. There are radiators in the dining rooms if it gets too cold. We welcomed the bar policy - this is a pub, the bar area is the only haven for adult conversation and escape - the dog owners that we encountered had their animals on a lead and kept their dogs at their feet or under the table - if any started misbehaving they were led away to their dog friendly rooms or put in their car with no fuss. We stayed in a small room at the top of the building - it was clean and comfortable with adequate facilities and we slept well. Mrs Hobo wants me to book a room again - and I will. We highly recommend boarding the good Ship at Dunwich.

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Popped into the Ship whilst on holiday in the area for lunch. The lunch menu was, we felt somewhat limited if you didn't want a hot meal - which we didn't - went for the Reedcutters Platter which for what you got was overpriced - so a light lunch platter and soft drink for two £25. Serving staff were very pleasant but bar staff very 'disinterested' on the whole. Our experience could have been better. There are many better in the area.

bedfordshire
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was a wonderful place for a late summer break with our two cocker spaniels. Very dog friendly and our room opened up into the pub garden which was great. Very helpful staff and good service. The pub is close to the beach and there are a number of fantastic dog walks. Food was great and we enjoyed the local cider.

Room Tip: The garden room is great for dogs
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunwich
The Westleton Crown
#3 of 4 in Aldeburgh
Satis House Hotel
Satis House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Yoxford

Been to The Ship at Dunwich? Share your experiences!