“What a wonderful Christmas break…thanks”

and 1 more site!
The Ship at Dunwich
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunwich
Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
“What a wonderful Christmas break…thanks”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Two night Christmas package at this brilliant, wonderful and unique English pub. Incredible value for money. Food was superb despite all areas being full for Xmas lunch. Staff all incredibly professional, friendly, knowledgable and proud of the pub. Room very comfy and clean. We were given so many extras (nibbles/pork pie/small decanter of sloe gin and shot glasses!) - clearly someone had thought it all through. All food sourced locally (tastes like food!) as are the beers. Great location for walkers and dog owners - if you have one. It is rare for us to award 5 stars to anyone unless Michelin or someone has rated it - but The Ship gets 5 simply for being so good as an all-round experience. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Unless you have a dog or need disabled facilities, ask to be in the main building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We booked a cottage for Christmas at Westleton and managed to book The Ship for Christmas dinner. It was £45 each for a 3 course dinner with tea / coffee and mince pies, this represented excellent value for money. We have had a lovely dinner, totally stuffed and stayed for a few drinks afterwards. The food was delicious, the staff friendly and we had a lovely relaxed afternoon. I would recommend The Ship it was great.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just back from a night at the Ship Hotel. Lovely big room with quality sheets and bedding. Excellent hospitality and cracking food. I had the mussels and my wife had the pigs cheeks - both were top drawer dishes. Cheese Board and treacle tart are not to be missed. Our dog loved the place too. Very friendly staff who seemed to genuinely care about the guests!!

Baldock, England
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Went to the Ship Hotel for a couple of nights and had a terrific time. All the staff were really helpful and pleasant, nothing was too much trouble. We took our dog and he was also made to feel very welcome with the odd biscuit and even a sausage for breakfast. The room was great and the food at both breakfast and dinner was outstanding. The bar was lovely and warm and we even had live music on Thursday. We will certainly visit again. Great area for walking.

Room Tip: Lovely welcoming hotel
Reading
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is a really cosy inn with an open fire and customer friendly staff . It's in a great location, a few minutes walk from the beach, lots of walks to do locally and only a short drive from picturesque Southwold.
We stayed on Nov 24 and 25 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had a room right at the top of the house with a sloping roof and wooden beams which we loved. Nothing fancy and simply decorated but very cosy and clean.
We ate at the inn both nights and all the meals were good. I can also recommend the local kippers for breakfast!
All in all a very good experience and I would love to go back in Spring/summer.

Room Tip: Ask for Woods End
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

A few years ago I often went to eat at The Ship- it was a cosy, busy place with good food and welcomed dogs, so was perfect for me.
I had heard it had changed hands while I was out of the area, so when I booked for dinner I was relying on the recent reviews to be accurate. Well, perhaps we came on a bad night but the evening was not very enjoyable, I'm afraid. It is almost as if we went to two entirely different pubs- one with excellent, locally produced, inventive food that arrived promptly; the other with lacklustre, disinterested service in surroundings that were overlit, poorly decorated and were lacking both in warmth (the fire had gone out- and this was at only 7.30) and the slightest trace of a welcoming ambiance.
It was a Monday, so there were not many people there and perhaps that's why the chap behind the bar gave the impression he would rather be somewhere else; so when we left - which was immediately after we had eaten as there was nothing to linger for - I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that when I mentioned that I ran a local B&B and would like some of the pub's business cards for my clients he told me to look for them myself in the lobby and then could not even bring himself to say goodbye (or thank you...)
It is a great shame that a pub that has such an obviously talented chef (few and far between in this area...) should also offer such mediocre service and surroundings. Needless to say I will not be recommending it to my clients.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElizabethK2004
Shipmanager, Manager at The Ship at Dunwich, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your specific feedback. It does appear that my Monday evening barman was a little off his game as most of the points that did not meet your expectations are under his duty of care. The Ambiance of the pub is a key part of The Ship, from lighting, candles and the log fire they should always be a focus for us and normally this would be the case. The barman in question is usually one of my team that receives great feedback about his customer care so we both apologise if you didn't receive this when you visited. We have both read through your review and he has promised to take your points on-board. I would sincerely hope that you don’t write us off entirely and that perhaps you can give us another go sometime soon. We want to be on the top of everyone’s list when it comes to recommendation in the local area so it would be great if you could get in touch with me directly so I can reassure you that you definitely caught us temporarily off guard and this is more a blip than par for the course here at The Ship.
I would also like to thank you for your comments regarding the food and our new chef Sam Hanison, good to see his food shone through even though this was delivered by an uncharacteristic lack lustre performance from my front of house team.
Essex
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Could have gone anywhere in the world within reason to celebrate my 1/2 century, but decided to spend it with my dear old dog...... we choose The Ship because we had stayed here before on other occasions. It is friendly clean and has comfy beds.

On arrival the staff are welcoming the evening food was lovely and tasty and the log fire is also a lovely treat in November.

Breakfast was great but I would say they could do with some fresh fruit and yogurts that's the only thing negative I could say.

It is a wonderful base to go into Southwold without the expensive of staying in Southwold, On our second night we got to speak to the Head Chef Luke and it was lovely he took the time to speak about his ideas and food. Kim the manager and Craig & Steve the bar guys were very chatty and made you feel welcome.

Our room was a little on the tight side but Buster is a big lad (dog) and you don't spend all day in your room the bed was great.

Even down to housekeeping didn't get here name but she was lovely chatty and welcoming. Would recommend the Ship to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the outside building purely because of our old dog we were offered an upgrade because o...
1 Thank LEIGH C
Matthew G, General Manager at The Ship at Dunwich, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
So glad you enjoyed another stay with us here at The Ship. You will be pleased to hear that we are re-writing our breakfast menu and this will include a few lighter options for those that just don't fancy a full English. Our Head chef (Sam Hanison) has some great ideas for breakfast so we look forward to introducing our new menu very soon.

We hope you get chance to come and try it soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunwich
The Westleton Crown
#3 of 4 in Aldeburgh
Satis House Hotel
Satis House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Yoxford

Been to The Ship at Dunwich? Share your experiences!