All reviewsthe pubfish and chipsscotch eggdog ownersmarsh viewbeer gardensuffolk coastpork bellygreat lunchdunwich heathsister pubstable blockfamily roomdog friendly pubopen firepuddingshingle beach
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Booked a table at The Ship for lunch today. Although we live within 10 miles of this Pub and eat out on a very regular basis, we had not eaten here before and quite frankly will not be back. The standard of food was very poor. We have so many lovely eating places in this part of the world so no need for us to go back.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 17 January 2014

what a gem of a place. open fire in the bar, real ales, 5 star food, friendly staff and customers.
Excellent service and very peaceful, ideal place for a few days away from everything,
Mobile signal and WfFi very erratic so we were not disturbed by others screaming down mobiles.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We wanted a short break, and the husband found this on the internet, it was a 3 night deal. On first impressions, the ship seems a really nice pub, it's within easy walking distance of a nice beach, and is in a very quiet village. the bar has an open fire and low wooden chairs around the fire, it is a nice bar. We were shown upstairs. The stair/ landing carpet smells! It's needs cleaning at best, shake and vac at worse! Our room was small, but we were warned about that, but we have had smaller rooms. It was clean and the bathroom was a decent size, no shower but that's not a problem for us.
The drinks are a bit on the steep side, but they have a wide variety of wines and real ales. The food was disappointing, I had potted shrimp which was more clarified butter than shrimp, the shrimp itself was too spiced to taste the fish. The beetroot and onion tart with goats cheese was lovely only blighted by the flan base being a bit limp! The fish and chips were nothing to write home about, not unpleasant, just nothing special. You MUST however try Colin's sticky toffee pudding. It's worth staying there for! Also the 'reed cutters platter is good value and very enjoyable.
Breakfast was average, but the service left a bit to be desired. We were waited on by young girls (18-19yr olds) who haven't quite mastered the art of charisma. I wanted toast and husband ordered an omelette ( which was great) the omelette arrived and eventually, when he was half way through it, he had to go and find the waitress to ask for the toast. It eventually arrived and was dumped in front of me, no apology for our wait. Whilst this is not a big thing, when you stay somewhere I expect a certain level of civility and manners.
On the first morning, we bumped into the chamber 'man' who asked if we needed anything in our room. We took this to mean anything replaced, we said no, and returned later in the day to find they hadn't even been in our room! The next day we left them to it, returned to a made bed, but NO towels!
The ship was let down by little things. It's a nice place that just lacks a bit of atmosphere. Some of the staff were great,(Will, Steve and the asst manager lady with the red hair) but the waiting staff definitely let it down. It's in a nice position, but just lacks something. I would not say don't stay there, go there and Have a restful time, but don't expect amazing things. They do a lot of offers out of season, which are good value and worth a look. And they take dogs!!

Room Tip: Don't get 'hen hill' it's the smallest room which isn't a problem but it has a standard double bed. It was also a bit noisy (fan and mechanical type o noise)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marywilliams135
Reviewed 8 January 2014

GENERAL;
We arrived at The Ship on the 30th December looking forward to 2 nights of new years merriment. First impressions were surprising as the pub was actually very small and limited for seating. Our room which was on the first floor was a nice size but very basic and in need of decoration/refreshing but perfectly suitable for us. the bed was a double size, sheets were lovely and clean but nothing better or worse than you would get a say in a premier inn. We had what seemed like an elephant child above us and every movement was quadrupled by old floor boards and ridiculous banging.I do understand that The Ship can not stop children staying but WHY put a family above a couple. I have never understood that. The pub was full as we heard other poeple complaining about something else so we accepted that a nap was out of the question pre going out both nights and they would be unable to move us if we had requested it. But still, we settled in and started our two night fun.

FINANCES
The ship is in the middle of nowhere which is lovely but leaves you sort of stuck for going out to eat anywhere else unless you drive. The pub food prices reflect this and they do not offer sandwiches or any cheaper alternatives. Our costs were escalated because of it as we were with two disabled persons, my in laws, who did not want to go out driving around. With the cost of the two rooms at £380 for ours and £340 for our in laws then costs on top of that for additional food and drink was exceesive, we spent a total between us of £1300.00. This did include wines and a bottle of sparkly stuff on new years eve but still, very excessive. Fish n chips were £13.95 or there abouts from memory and whilst the food is nice, its not anything special to warrant these prices, they do it because they can. This left me feeling like we had been taken advantage off which was a shame because if they just reduced their prices down a little or given us cheaper alternatives for lunch for example it would have been something i would have considered doing again next year. Also, for the monies we paid, we thought the evening meal was included on the first night also, it was not.

NEW YEARS EVE DINNER
We were seated in the pub itself. They had the fire roaring away and everybody was extremely hot. The temperatures new years eve were not freezing and a full fire was definately not needed. We had pre-booked the meal as requested and it was nice but again nothing special. They then laid on a couple of singers. I was so shocked as to how bad they were that I actually sat there with my gob open for the first hour. The guy was ok but the woman with him could not sing. It was horrendous but as the drink flowed, they got better so it did lighten the evening as we had some good laughs about it.

SERVICE;
great, in all aspects from beginning to end. All staff were extremely helpful and polite.

WOULD WE GO BACK
no, not because the pub is rubbish or the rooms bad, or the food inadequate but because the prices do not reflect what you get for the money. They were full so they are getting away with the charges and if you went outside Dunwich and got food or drink elsewhere you would probably be fine but if you want to stay at the pub, walk the beach and not drive around then you will end up feeling like it did.....financially raped. Shame.

Room Tip: pick a room on top so you dont have people above you.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank dannyandmichele
Shipmanager, General Manager at The Ship at Dunwich, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

With such a detailed review I will do my best to offer readers of this review an honest and balanced opinion some points are accepted and we will take the learning however some do not reflect our New Year’s Eve offer and the experience by all our guests. I will start by saying thank you for highlighting the good aspects of your stay, in particular for commenting on how well our team looked after you and the way they worked despite it being one of our busiest periods of the year. Also for mentioning how clean the bedrooms and linen were, exactly what we are striving to achieve at all time. I am slightly confused about your comments about redecoration and needing a refresh as this has just happened with the whole pub being redecorated in December 2013. I have checked the room you stayed in and found it to be in very good order throughout so perhaps the colour schemes and décor are just not to your tastes? We are a family (and dog) friendly pub and yes some of the floor boards might be a bit creaky at times, but it is part of the character of our property.
I appreciate that overall it sounds as if you had a good night on New Year’s Eve despite the slightly nervous start by the musicians on the evening. I have to agree she didn’t start as well she can but once the nerves settled in she pulled it together and from my memory most of the pub (including me) where singing along with them before too long. We hope to offer a great night whatever the occasion so your feedback will be noted to help improve our NY’s Eve celebrations next year.
However I do find other parts of your feedback, and in particular the last sentence regarding our prices very inaccurate. We offer a considered and well balanced menu with dishes to suit all budgets, with light meals available at all times. Starters begin at around £5 which can be taken without main courses if you just fancy a snack and although you’re right in saying that we don’t offer a selection of sandwiches this is a matter of choice that is not financially motivated in anyway. You quote that our fish and chips being £13.95. We serve a choice of fish starting with plaice fillet at £11.75, and both cod and haddock at £11.95. It is true that we are not the cheapest pub in the area but by no means are we expensive either. We only use fresh produce in all our cooking right down to the chips we hand cut for our fish and chips and the bread we make on-site. All our food is prepared fresh to order and we constantly challenge ourselves to come with new and interesting takes on good pub food, we are not trying to become the next Michelin star pub nor are we trying to be a fine dining restaurant but that said neither are we aiming low. When it comes to our offering we always hope that we ask a fair price for a good locally sourced product and the thought that we use our location to profiteer from our customers is simply unfounded. Most of the feedback we receive indicates good value for money as can be seen by reading many other reviews here on the TripAdvisor website. All of our menus, room rates and offers can be found on our website so I will leave readers to decide for themselves whether they consider us expensive or not.
We always embrace any feedback we may receive from our guests, but are very challenged by this TripAdvisor review. Having checked the terms and conditions regarding giving factual opinion and not using language designed to offend, we have asked TripAdvisor to remove this review.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Booked in for new year package.

We did not get the rooms that we had confirmed in writing

The price was checked online, telephonically and face-to-face but at point of bill was told that a meal was not included! Software faults were blamed for misleading.

Kettle cord was insufficient to pour safely.

one room was noisy in the early hours, electrical or mechanical din.

When you pay £100s every thing has to be spot-on. inefficiency, poor value, poor software and lack of care are simply not good enough.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank nousmangons

I am sorry that you decided to post this review of your stay with us following our lengthy discussion at check out on your day of departure. For clarity and for readers of this review there are a few details I feel it appropriate to point out.
As I had hoped I had explained at the time, the correct room type had been booked for your stay over the New Year period and at no time had a specific room been discussed or guaranteed with you before booking. I also highlighted that the kettle was a temporary replacement as the original one had stopped working and the difficulty we had in finding a replacement at such short notice over the festive period. I do agree however we could have explained this at check-in to avoid mismanaged expectations. I also did my best to explain that our New Year’s Eve package is carefully explained on our website and that the meal on the first night is not included, I am very sorry if this was not your understanding or if somehow you feel you have been misled but at no time was this explained as a software problem, we are ensuring our package for 2014 cannot be misinterpreted.
We are always happy to accept when we have got it something wrong or failed to deliver the experience we promise our guests, and apologise accordingly, but it is also important to highlight when things have been misunderstood so we all learn from it We only want the very best experience for all our guests and continually strive to provide a relaxing and informal break away from it all each and every time, which has been highlighted by some of the fantastic feedback we received throughout the Christmas and New Year period.

Matthew Goodwin