We stayed here for two nights, last week, using it as a base for visiting the RSPB reserve at Minsmere. No 'reception' when we arrived, but the bar seems to double up with that role. The barman fetched our key, gave us a brief tour and took us to our room. Clean, comfortable and equipped with hairdryer, kettle etc but no fridge or safe. My guess is that those aren't really necessary in rural Suffolk. Good, fast wifi connection.
We had our evening meals in the bar & very good they were. And the English breakfast kept us going all day, with just the lightest of snacks midday.
All the staff were pleasant and friendly without being always 'inyourface'. The location was brilliant for visiting Minsmere. We also had a couple of evening walks around Dunwich.
Our only problem was that after dinner on the second evening we went back to our room and watched England being beaten by Uruguay in the World Cup. And we can't blame The Ship for that!
All in all, I can understand why the BBC used The Ship when they were filming Springwatch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Once a haunt of smugglers, The Ship Inn isn't just a great place to eat, drink, relax and get away from it all – we like to think it's also part of a great story. Now a quiet, idyllic village surrounded by nature reserves, heathland and beach, only the romantic ruins of Dunwich monastery remain to hint at the fate of this once thriving medieval port claimed by the waves during a terrible storm. It's said you can still hear the peal of the church bells beneath the waves. While we can't guarantee that, there are certain, more earthly things we're always happy to provide… real ales, real food and a real fire. You will find: a great pub, home-cooked food in our restaurant, a cosy hotel with comfortable, traditionally furnished bedrooms, some with views across the sea or marshes. There is also an enormous garden dotted with fruit trees (including our 300 year old fig tree) and a beach that really is just a couple of minutes walk away. Whether you want to use it as a base to explore this wild and wonderful coastline, enjoy some of the best fish and chips on the Suffolk coast or simply indulge in a pint or two of Adnams, The Ship Inn at Dunwich extends the warmest of welcomes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your The Ship at Dunwich reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ship At Dunwich Hotel Dunwich
- The Ship At Dunwich Suffolk