“Little hidden gem”
Review of Castle Lodge Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Felixstowe
Castle Lodge Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Felixstowe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night. Friendly owner margaret.rooms are perfectly in keeping with the age and style of property. scrupiously clean.lovely peaceful and quiet room overlooking the sea room 1. Great location! Beautiful lounge for guests to use.. Little hidden gem

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank bigcheese1275
castlelodge503747, Owner at Castle Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Many thanks for your feedback. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that our hotel was to your taste.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here with my mum for a short break and just got home. Mum had room 12 and was really happy with it. She certainly didn't complain about being uncomfortable in bed and as she suffers from arthritis I would have expected her to had she been.
I stayed in room 7 and it was lovely and cosy (in a good way and not a way of saying small!). The bed was really comfy and the bed linen good quality. Plenty of hot water for the shower and the housekeeping was excellent.
Breakfast was tasty and well cooked.
We were worried when we saw the building work across the road but we were reassured that there was no work early or late and so it proved to be - it made no difference to our stay at all.

Room Tip: My mum thought that room 12 gave excellent access for disability.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
castlelodge503747, Owner at Castle Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are so pleased that you found the rooms and breakfast to your satisfaction. This is what we are always trying to achieve to the best of our ability.

Many thanks and so pleased you both enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Building work - and a conspiracy of plumbers meant that we needed to be out of the house for a night ;-)

We live 12 miles away - and so we thought "Let's treat ourselves to a nice B&B in Felixstowe". Looked on Trip Advisor - and found this place. Sounded great. How could you, my usually reliable friends? Maybe it's this particular room (12 downstairs) that makes the difference. We don't know - but here is our experience..

Welcome. Not very. The hostess was out but (I'm guessing) the husband greeted us. We were shown the room, he thought we'd booked for 3 nights, He didn't show us where the breakfast room was or the lounge, etc. My husband is a strong & tall chap - I'm disabled - but it's nice if someone offers help isn't it? Nada.

It was very, very strongly suggested we eat breakfast at 8.30pm - only by reading the bedroom info was it clear that 8.30- 9.15am was usual.

The room. I've posted photos. It's not awful - but it's nowhere near as attractive as photographs of other rooms.

What's good:
* Nice plain beige sheets/duvet covers of good quality
* A really good shower (for any wheelchair users - the door is not accessible). Low loo.
* Nice tea/coffee (no earl grey - but I'm a girl who packs her own).
* Lovely additional blankets.
* Good quality breakfast well cooked. Small size for some - but more than fine for us.

What's not.

* The beds - coiled spring [not pocket] and you can feel every one. No matter - we have mattress toppers (see, told you, I knew how to pack). My husband (who can pretty much sleep anywhere) also needed one. At about 2 am we found the aforesaid 'lovely blankets' and slept on both. The photo shows the characteristic hollowing out of a mattress that's had it's day. I was born in Blackpool with an aunt who ran a hugely busy B&B - there's just a natural span for a mattress. If you buy better they last longer.

* Pillows - two fine, 2 cheap and nasty and hard. Of course, I had my own: need you ask?

* Decor. I'm not sure if they are/were aiming for Boutique beige or shabby chic. The result is terribly depressing & worn looking. The furniture looks like painted melamine - but I fear the poor souls paid a lot for it. 1950's style green velour chairs are partnered by a khaki satin stool. Wallpaper badly hung & has the fatal flaw of badly overlapping seams - so now looks as if it's about to peel/grubby because of that. The seams are more obvious than the pattern.

* Big crack in the ceiling and some sad exposed pipes...

* Rather 'office like blinds' - again just not in keeping - and they do not keep out the morning light. But never mind, you'll be waking early anyway because of the major building development next door. Not their fault - but my fellow TA's should know about it.

* Bedside cabinets. None. A funny little shelf that stops the beds being pushed/linked together that holds a lamp (that is Marmite: love it or hate it). If you don't remove the lamp - you will not be able to put a single cup of tea down. Useless. This is the only bedside storage.

We paid £80 for this room - the same price as much cheerier others. For £95 you can stay at the Fludyers nearby ; stylish spacious rooms with hand built beds of high quality & great food.

Value is not the same as price. We've paid £180 a night - and thought it money well spent. We've just stayed at a Travelodge and had better beds for £35 a night. Both represent value in their own way. This is poor value.

We know people come back here year after year. I know many found a warm welcome. But no-one asked us if we slept well or enjoyed our stay/evening. We were unsurprised.

On a happier note - I've posted a review for about the best fish & chips in Suffolk nearby...There's a review of the Travelodge too ;-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toccoferro
castlelodge503747, Owner at Castle Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback which after being in the business for 26 years we take very seriously. We were pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and that we were able to accommodate your special dietary needs. Breakfast times have always been flexible as we have experienced over the years that business guests require earlier breakfasts than guests who are holidaying and we are sorry that you misinterpreted that. As you stated, it does say in the hotel information, breakfast is usually served between 8.30-9.15 which is better for us if guests stagger the time in order for us to give a prompt and efficient service.
You mentioned that the toilet was low but we do have a special toilet seat which raises the height of the seat if guests request it and very importantly always check that disabled guests are able to be independent of a wheelchair in order to use the shower which we were pleased you found to be good.
The ground floor room was refurbished in last April and we honestly weren't aware that a crack had appeared in the ceiling, so that will be rectified. We were sorry that you felt unable to draw our attention to that before you left.
As to the photo of the crane you took from the bedroom window, we are pleased to say that it has now gone.
This room is extremely popular and the fixtures and fittings really are a matter of personal taste and we have to say that you are the first guests to give a negative response to our choice of furnishings.
We are sorry it was not to your taste.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Castle Lodge is clean and well kept. Margaret, the landlady, is friendly and helpful.
Lovely room, clean and comfortable. Bathroom quite small and a bit dark, water pressure in the shower was low.
Cooked breakfast was just about adequate.
A short walk to the High Street and the sea front.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JE&GJW
Reviewed 2 November 2013

the owner had only just arrived from her own holiday when we arrived but that was no problem ( we did know this would be the case in advance ! ) Our bicycles were placed in a secure building and we made our selves at home in the large en suite room. It was very comfortable with traditional furnishings. Shame about the building opposite which is awaiting develoment as it spoils the outlook a bit.

Decent breakfast to set us up for our trip the next day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philimp
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Situated close to the sea in a quiet area, in Felixstowe with own parking area.
The lodge is very well kept and very clean. Bed was very comfy and I slept very well, although my room was next to the main entrance.!
I was offered a room with a sea view, at no extra cost, on my arrival but due to heavy luggage, I declined.
The host was very welcoming and made one feel at home.
Free WiFi was available with excellent performance.
Breakfast was included in the very reasonable rate and was more than satisfactory.
Although peak holiday season in the UK during my visit, the hotel was not full and this is a good reason to support the smaller hotel owner, otherwise we will oly be left with the larger International groups.
Recommend and good for families

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Bright and fresh room, modern and clean. Lovely outlook over towards the sea. Would definitely stay there again. Only (minor) criticism, would be that I thought the hot breakfast could have been a bit more substantial. Otherwise all good.

Room Tip: I had room 2, with a nice view over to the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo