“Great few hours out!”
Review of Landguard Fort

Landguard Fort
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Felixstowe
Reviewed 29 August 2012

When we arrived it looked like it was just a usual old fort building , but they have given the children a treasure puzzle to solve and it made it really good fun.Its quite big and thought the children would get bored but on arrival we bought for a pound a puzzle that you had to solve. We had great fun and kids loved it.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

I notice other people recommend the audio tour and I can see if you actually want to learn a bit about the place they would be invaluable. I love the fort in a different way, however: as a place of adventure and atmosphere, its warren-like construction being its being attraction. My children love passing through the maze of dusty empty rooms, mostly tiny and linked by narrow, windowless passages curving around within the walls of the fort. The layout means unless you have a good sense of direction, it's easy to lose track of where you are as you weave in and out of the various levels within the concentric rings of the fort's construction. Some rooms yield up the odd surprise: a viewing station, a set of bunks, gun racks, the radio station (where keys may be pushed at will). Most are empty except for peeling paint in their original colours, and dust. It's unrestored and bursting with atmosphere and a fabulous place to explore with children. It reminds me a little of the opening passages of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and has something of the same sense of discovery. It's so seldom these days that children can roam unrestricted through an genuinely exciting historical place that hasn't been over-manicured out of all sense of atmosphere. I commend the custodians of the fort for what they've done. It's cheap too (a family of four can get in for under ten pounds). Read a bit of history in the two or three rooms that show the various uses of the fort, but don't neglect the opportunity simply to wander and explore (for those who like that sort of thing, Felixstowe also has some very good charity shops and two excellent secondhand bookshops).

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I was amazed at the information available here. An audio device comes with the very reasonable admission fee. I would recommend the audio tour as each "station" is very well covered and you would soon get lost in the tunnels that are open. I would think you would need at least two hours to visit this site and that does not include the adjacent museum.

1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I have been here before many years ago. But now they have spent alot of time and hard work into opening up parts so visits can see the whole life story of the fort and the people who had to live and work here. The audio tour is a must and you can either choose to have the standard version covering the history or have the more in depth stories if you want to. This is a great day out for the kids and is also great value. I had my English heritage membership so it was free for me and my two boys. But the £3 per adult is great value.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

looks very boring but the audio guide brought it to life.
the road is bumpy but the views are interesting, including the container port.