“Nice but dated”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Felixstowe
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice but dated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Nice and friendly staff but the hotel needs a big remodelation everything is to old me and my wife spend last night there. The view excellent if you stay in the rooms with sea view. I don't understand why at 2.30 pm we try eat something in the pub's hotel and a member of the staff said sorry we don't have nothing at this time.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bishops Stortford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

If you're looking for your usual chain type hotel this isn't it - it's a throwback to the 70s with a bit of modern tinkering - the Marlborough is a collection of old houses joined together by a rabbit warren of staircases and archways - we were supposed to have a double Seaview but were upgraded to the honeymoon suite ! Large comfortable four poster bed and big old fashioned furniture - little in the way if goodies in the room and the plaster is blown in places - the bathroom featured an avocado jacuzzi ! And the food was straight out of the ready meal range from Brakes caterers - however the staff are wonderful they know exactly what their hotel is but for the coach trade crowd who seem to make up the majority of their patrons they're having a whale of a time
It's cheap it's friendly and if you want a throwback hotel this is it

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank LadyElizabeth100
Rochester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My partner and I wanted to have a night away. After looking at reviews we decided to try this hotel. The room smelt, there was wallpaper peeling from the walls. We moved the television to try and get reception and the back of it was thick with dust which then flew everywhere!! I felt dirty just being there. We stayed one hour and left with the excuse we had to get home... I should of complained then but I just wanted to escape.... I have since thinking on it phoned the hotel today and complained. The room was not fit to stay in...

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank LouiseW43
Banbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel has seen better days which were a long long time ago. The fixtures and fittings are old and worn and the whole hotel needs renovated. The food is average but edible. The one saving grace are the staff who are very good and can't do enough to help.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here with my disabled sister and my daughters, to my horror around 1 o'clock in the morning I was woken by keys rattling in my door, before I could get out of bed a strange man was in my room, when challenged he said he thought it was his room after all he had a key!, as no staff were available during the night I had to sit up awake until the morning, I was terrified he would come back, once morning came I spoke to the manager who gave no explanation as to why that happened but he did not offer us alternative accommodation and couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again, when I said I would have to put a chair in front of the door to protect ourselves he suggested it be the wardrobe!! Health and safety comes to mind. Anyway to compensate my troubles he said he wouldn't charge for my drinks (£11) and gave me £10 from petty cash, as I was still in shock from the whole affair I couldn't find it in me to complain further. The next day my sister's Carer came to collect us and when I told her what happened she insisted they return that nights fee and tried to speak to the Manager who refused to come to the front desk but eventually agreed to refund one nights stay.

It was his lack of interest and understanding of how horribly wrong this could have turned out and we still have no idea how this man came to have a key to my room, one suggestion was that he had hold of the master key. We feel totally let down by this experience, my sister is a vulnerable adult who could have been alone in this room when this happened.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank sajali10
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here for one night on April 1st, not quite knowing what to expect from the reviews we had read. Glad we did, though, because the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating, the room was warm (even with no heating on) and spacious, and wonderful sea view. We would stay again. Okay, not much had been done, inside or out, since the 80's, but if they had spent the money updating, first the charm would have disappeared, and prices would have risen. If you ignore the occasional peeling wallpaper, dated mahogany veneer wardrobe and dressing table etc, everything was clean and tidy, and everything you need was provided. Breakfast was also tasty and very reasonably priced, and the dining room did in fact appear more modern than the rooms. I say rooms, because we saw two, both decorated exactly the same. The first was on the second floor, and the stairs were too much for my wife (the lift was tiny and too claustrophobic for her to use it) so we requested a lower floor. Without any question at all we were moved down to the first floor, and a slightly larger room with two chairs and coffee table by the bay window. The bed was firm and quite comfortable and the room was quiet.(There is some traffic noise but with windows closed it's not disturbing. In fact we slept with window open and the traffic didn't bother us.) The TV provided all the promised channels. This is a 2-star hotel because of the decor, and this is reflected in the price. But for friendliness and service I would give it a 4. Thank you for a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: There is a lift to all floors, but it is smaller than a broom cupboard. If you are the slightest bit...