“Excellent staff and good service”
Review of The Orwell Hotel

The Orwell Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Felixstowe
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent staff and good service”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here in November 2013. The building is a lovely traditional style and that was appealing to me over the more modern style hotels. I don't know where the owners pick the girls from but the ones I saw were all model material and very pleasant and friendly too.

Ok, the room was a bit outdated and could do with a re-vamp but the rest of the hotel, staff, top quality breakfast plus easy parking and great location more than make up for this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I found this Hotel on the internet the day before my journey so pretty much knew the location and price so when the heavens opened up decided to see if any availability and so pleased to say there was after a long day. A lovely looking building from the outside with loads of charachter inside. The room could maybe have done with a bit of an update and the view wasn't that brilliant but it was spotlessly clean which is the main thing so for the price was an absolute bargain. There was plenty going on in the Hotel so well used but didn't eat in the restaurant that night but the breakfast the next morning was cooked fresh and was very nice indeed. The room where I ate was very impressive, so much better than the run of the mill chain Hotels which don't get me wrong are OK but are certainly not worth double the price!! I have recomended to my colleagues and look forward to returning when I next visit Felixstowe. The staff I met were all very friendly and pleased to see a central Hotel like this doing well despite so much competition about.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Didn't know what to expect from the outside, but was pleasantly surprised. It was like stepping back into time. It must have been a very grand hotel in its time. All the reception rooms were decorated in keeping with the early 1900s.

We ordered Sunday lunch from a choice of 4 starters and mains. £19.95 for two courses.

All staff we came into contact with were friendly and efficient. My rib of beef was juicy and tender, huge yorkshire pudding and plenty of fresh vegetables.

Lovely place to meet friends or family and a chance to don something a little better than jeans.

My only criticism on arrival at the very, very small bar - was the bar was covered in, I presume used glasses from the night before.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We would like to convey our thanks to the staff at the Orwell Hotel for the wonderful time we had at our Silver Wedding.
His Lordship's Library, the room where we held the function, was ideal, the food fantastic, and the staff worked tirelessly to ensure that we all had a good time.
The bedrooms were clean and comfortable and we would certainly stay at the hotel again.
Stayed 2 nights from Friday 14th to Sunday 16th February 2014

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Cheap & clean sums it up.
Room needs to be renovated, clean and tidy with a good bed. Shower head completely blocked, the receptionist looked shocked when I took it down.
All the staff were chatting rather than serving at the bar at night, no nibbles to buy.... My room overlooked the kitchen & around 1.30am I had to use my mobile to phone the hotel and ask for the noise from what looked like a heater unit to be shut off as it was loud, I do recall having the same problem before.
Breakfast looks good, but I have been missed..... Hence having time to write this.
Apparently they have newer rooms which cost more.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Derek1968
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Went for afternoon tea, no one around to show us where to go, finally got seated, food was bought over, no one explained what the food was or what was in the sandwiches then we got tea and coffee (really should of had the drinks first!) the lady said 'if you need anything give me a shout' then she never came back into the room! So we had to walk around the hotel to find someone to get more drinks. Not blaming the girl as I think it looks like she's just had no customer service training which is a shame because the actual food was good for the price! Probably won't go back again which is a shame as I live in the town and they could of had a regular customer here...

• Stayed February 2014
6 Thank Lifebythebeach
OrwellHotel, Public Relations Manager at The Orwell Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
I'm so sorry our customer service let down what should have been an enjoyable afternoon. Please can you contact jo.ferriss@theorwellhotel.co.uk We would like to improve our standard of service and offer some additional training to the member of staff concerned. To do this we need to know when you came in for tea.
We would also like to invite you back for a complimentary afternoon tea so that you can experience afternoon tea how if should be served. To book your afternoon tea please contact Jo.
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed one night, in fact i haven't checked out yet but really felt it worthy of complimenting this hotel because it's clean, friendlyand very good value. I have stayed in many hotels and this one certainly has impressed me. I would easily recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Richb1969
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Felixstowe
Premier Inn Felixstowe Town Centre
Best Western Brook Hotel, Flexstowe
Seckford Hall
Seckford Hall
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Muthu Besltead Brook Hotel

Been to The Orwell Hotel? Share your experiences!