“Avoid at all costs!”

Rose and Crown Hotel
Ranked #25 of 48 Restaurants in Haverhill
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

After being promised to be seated in five minutes whilst they reset a table, we waited almost half an hour to be shown through to the half empty restaurant and sat at the smallest table imaginable. All around us were small children shouting and running around. It had the atmosphere of a soft play centre.
Apparently there had been a problem on the counter, so we could "choose our meat and it will be cooked in the kitchen." I chose pork and my partner chose turkey. Two small plates were produced "The chef put turkey and pork on both." I sent the plates back and asked for what we had ordered. They came back correct complete with two limp Yorkshire puddings. We went to get ourselves vegetables and for a carvery the offering of overcooked broccoli, overcooked carrots or green beans was not very attractive. The roast potatoes were Aunt Bessie. They could not even be bothered to cook their own.
Back at the table my partner cut her turkey and put a piece in her mouth. It was stone cold. The piece underneath was raw. We felt this was the time to get-up and walk-out.

At no point during this debacle were we once offered drinks.

The conclusion? Avoid the Rose & Crown, Haverhill like the plague if you want an edible, let-alone enjoyable carvery. It really is that bad.

1  Thank Flick1975

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We booked this venue and from the start the service we received was excellent . Nothing was too much trouble. Excellent helpful staff , excellent food.Would recommend you try this venue

1  Thank Kate K
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I am not one for complaining about places, but they do offer on Tuesdays and Thursdays a Carvery, which I am meaning to try but on other days they do offer a limited pub style menu but I am being told this is going to be expanded in the new year, and from the food I have had I think they've got something good chef wise I'm just waiting to see more choice.

1  Thank John T
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I stopped by the Rose & Crown searching for a place to eat in Haverhill on a Tuesday night.

Their menu was limited to a simple pub menu. I chose the sausages and mash. It was tasty.

They offer Greene King ales. Although, they only had the IPA running. The Battle of Britain was tapped out.

Good atmosphere and ambience, but overall just OK.

1  Thank ct-cruisers
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Carvery was below average. Three of my group had upset stomachs the next day. Stay clear of the food

1  Thank Jkc37