“Extremely large Portions”

Route 66 Haverhill
Ranked #4 of 48 Restaurants in Haverhill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: An independent American 50'S style restaurant serving fresh homemade locally sourced food.
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This restaurant is fairly small. but decorated lovely and atmosphere is good. we have a sharing platter which was sooooo tasty but had we of known the portion sizes of main meals we wouldn't of had the starters. Chips were lovely and i had the full rack of ribs. But the ribs were a bit bland and could of done with a big more sauce. But i did leave this on a comment card. Drinks were good. could do with more selection of everything. Overall Good and the prices were fantastic!

1  Thank Lotty71

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I decided to try out Route 66 after work one evening. I looked on their Facebook page earlier that day where it said if you book a table tonight they will take 10% off the bill. I commented on this asking as I booked Tuesday for Thursday night would the offer still apply. No response. Turned up the place was dead. We were the only two in there other then two men who were hanging outside smoking and then went back to their table. I ordered BBQ wings for my starter, my friend had loaded skins. She enjoyed her skins but sadly I did not enjoy my wings. I was so convinced that it wasn't BBQ sauce they used, I asked the waitress if the chef had put the wrong sauce on as they seem a bit hot (and there are hot wings on the menu) and I didn't know they would be sprinkled with spring onion as the menu didn't state that but the 'hot wing' description did. She asked the chef and came back telling me I had got what I ordered. But I hadn't? That wasn't what the menu said. I hate onions and the menu said nothing about them on my BBQ wings nor should they have been hot. So... Next course I ordered a plain cheese burger, no salad, no sauce just the burger bun and cheese and my friend had the JD chicken. Hers was ok she said but it really did not look very pleasant. The vegetables were putting her off her food and didn't seem to go with the dish. My 'plain' cheese burger turned up with onions in it. I scrapped them off which eliminated the teeny bit of cheese they put on the burger and apart from the bun tasting ok, the burger was dry and dull. Only good thing about our meal was our Milkshakes. The waitresses were not on hand at all when you needed them and this is only a tiny restaurant nor was it remotely busy. They were both foreign which isn't a problem but acted a bit clueless if you ask me. We had to go to the counter to get ones attention to pay our bill. No word of the 10% off and mistakes crossed out on the receipt which looked a bit dodgy so I thoroughly checked it which I never ordinarily would bother doing. Such a shame. The thought of an American diner was quite an excitable one. I have been to many over the years when traveling to the States and I think this is a poor attempt to mimic one. Wouldn't bother wasting your time. Will not be returning.

1  Thank Gayle R
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

The restaurant here is really improving like other restaurants when first opening but these are being ironed out. The food has been continually improving as it's work in progress although they don't have ice cream sundaes at the moment the burgers are some of the best in Haverhill in terms of quality and the chips they seem to have got perfect. They are looking at a lunch menu and other bits in the future but they are trying to continually improve and there are still bugs with music and signage for toilets but this is being sorted out over time .

1  Thank John T
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I'm afraid I didn't like the decor at all. It is, frankly, a bit naff and clearly done on the cheap. A shame because they have at least tried to recreate the American feel to the place.

Drinks refills are not very forthcoming and this needs sorting out because in America you practically have to beg the waiting staff not to refill your glass. i had to ask for my refill and when I did it was left sitting at the bar.

I think the food - for what it was - is a little expensive. The hamburgers were cooked well enough, but could have done with just a little more seasoning; no major issue though. The bacon used was all wrong and needs to be the typical US streaky variety, not British back bacon.

The coleslaw was FAB!

We didn't much enjoy our visit, but the staff did seem genuinely interested in our feedback which is nice to see. There are things to sort out and I hope they are successful with that.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited this restaurant shortly after it opened, fully prepared for a few teething problems. However, we were so disappointed with our experience that we will not return again.
Service was incredibly slow but we could have excused that if the food had been good. Unfortunately, it wasn't!
The rack of ribs wasn't a rack but was served up, cut into a pile of bones in what can only be described as looking like a dog bowl. They were anaemic looking with none of the traditional dark sticky sauce that you would normally find on ribs and they were gristly and luke warm. Two servings were returned almost untouched and we offered the waitress some very polite feedback which we asked to be passed onto the management; her reply was that she would give us a feedback card which never arrived. We were told that the ribs had been cut up as customers liked them that way and had requested it! Really! I have never seen ribs served this way anywhere in the world before.
Steak served with the ribs was over cooked, tasteless and gristly. Chips were the most tasteless we have ever had and onion rings were greasy and tasteless again. The burger was much better but contained back bacon instead of crispy bacon and was served cut in half - why?
We were never offered a refill on our drinks and never offered desert.
All in all, a hugely disappointing evening and so sad as we were really keen to support a new local business and, had it been good, we would have eaten there frequently.
It would be great if the management were to read this feedback and perhaps take the opportunity to reply to it. We all want our High Street to improve and this place could do so well if it got the basics right.

2  Thank Crumblesthree