The Bell Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Mildenhall
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I last stopped here 20 years ago, it was a charming well kept but olde world hotel. but how things have changed. The once quaint bar and lounge have been replaced by horrible pvc chairs and a cheap looking carpet. I stopped in Room 4, it was 2 degrees outside but the room had no heating. The radiator leaked water. The bathroom was an utter disgrace, cracked and loose floor tiles. silicon round the bath was about 30mm thick. An additional bottom row of tiles had been stuck on existing tiles. Furniture in room was there during my previous stay in 1993. The room was that unpleasant I skipped the breakfast. It took them 2o minutes to print my receipt off in the morning. Please don't make my mistake... STAY CLEAR....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank daveannmarie

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We just popped in for dinner only and was pleasantly surprised! Meals were only 5-8£ a person and wltasted fantastic! Timely and pleasant service. I will be coming back quite often!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I recently stayed at the bell hotel, booking mistakenly before googling. I arrived..walking into a dirty bar area,littered with dirty glasses and crisps packets to be informed by a sulky and surly barmaid, more interested in her mobile phone and reflection, where the hotel reception was. I went to the 'reception' a tiny desk hidden in the restaraunt area and checked in with the cold and rude receptionist who didn't appear to have any interest in customer service. My room was cold, bedding was inadequate and the room was dirty and dusty. I ventured downstairs to the bar to be ignored by the earlier barmaid, who seemed this time to prefer serving me to throwing herself all over the local dross who were monopolising the bar. I was horrified at the barmaids bad attitude and said so to the receptionist who portrayed herself as some sort of managerial figure to be rudely and viciously accused of calling her daughter a slapper..it suddenly became clear how this girl got the job. Breakfast was average. Cold and greasy but I was keen to escape..

4  Thank Sleeplover27
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Even in a budget hotel I expect to be warm. With the radiator on (for the few hours the heating was working) my room was never any anything other than bitterly cold. They have then thinnest bedding I have ever seen and no additional blankets in the room. After the first night I resorted to getting dressed to go to bed and wearing a beanie hat at all times to try and stay warm.
The decor is dated and the whole place rather shabby.
Don't stay there - you can get much better accommodation for your money

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Graham W
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Myself and my partner attended a party at this hotel, therefore we did bot do any research on the hotel and just booked up! Big mistake...the town itself has nothing to offer, the bar in the hotel is drab, the rooms are extremely dated. When we opened the wardrobe we found an empty coke can, the window seal had dirty tissues on it, the walls were paper thin you could hear everyones TV's/conversations etc.
Apparently the heating goes off in the afternoon so anyone in the room choosing not to go out will freeze!
The breakfast was not up to much, poor selection and the rice krispies were out of date! We were charged £50, I think they would have a real cheek charging 50p for a nights stay here!
All my points were made very clear to the manager and he did give us a full refund, however, a complete was of time goign there!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bluechild5
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend break, although the room was a little tired in decoration, this did not detract from a very pleasant stay the staff were very helpful rooms was comfy and reasonably clean.
We decided to eat in the restaurant the first night of our stay and what a good choice that was the food was excellent served on hot plates and served within 15 mins of order far more food than one person can eat it was also a very good price.
Breakfast was equally as good, plenty of choice and nicely presented.
We were so impressed with the food we decided to eat in the restaurant again the following night, food was great again.
In the evening there was entertainment and a good time was had by all.
We would not hesitate going there again.
All round excellent value for money

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple