“Bit skewed”

Dining options: Breakfast
England
“Bit skewed”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This place has changed hands in the recent past and it became different, better than it was. It was well organised and the food has been consistently of a good standard. Today we dropped in for coffee and cake, quite excellent in quality, but the waitress was not. Everything was 'there you go', a mini skirt which looked like a pair of knickers, almost a surly disposition and a general air of laid back. I noticed some customers having to go to the counter to ask if there was waiter service. Obviously the manager/manageress was off but maybe that was the management, who knows. So, to sum up, everything was the same as far as food and beverages were concerned except my impression was somewhat skewered by their font of house staff. I should also say that the price for two coffees and one carrot cake came to over 8£, not cheap but really worth it, really! The cafe is situated upstairs in a large shop where one's wife can have a ball choosing things she just can't find anywhere else. The Snape Maltings, where it is located, is the home of Benjamin Briten's Music School and an auditorium which supports the most uncomfortable seats in Europe (take a cusion, most diehards do)

• Visited November 2011

Hertfordshire
“Good food, pleasant experience.”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Maybe things have improved since the previous review - we certainly enjoyed our lunch here. We both had the Lancashire rarebit with apple chutney, my husband had ham with his which he said was excellent and my meatless version was very tasty. I had homemade lemonade which certainly appeared to be homemade and was delicious. Service was reasonable and quite pleasant. Setting is relaxed and informal - quite rustic. Overall would recommend.

• Visited January 2011
Sheringham
“Great Baker - Shame about the cafe!”
Reviewed 18 October 2009

If I was a small bakery of specialist breads and cakes I would ensure that at the very least I would use fresh breads in my Cafe.
I had great expectations of Snape`s Metfield Cafe all of which were unfulfilled.
We found our own table as staff ignored us on entry. They continued to ignore us having given us menus on request. My wife said "give them 5 more minutes then we shall go elsewhere." Just inside that 5 minutes the waitress took our order - just under 20 minutes since we entered the cafe.
An imaginative menu gave us hope that the food would be good. Again a wait just short of 30 minutes before our food arrived with only a plate of old Metfield bread to keep us sustained in the wait. My food was a breast of beef and blue cheese salad on the stale toasted cibatta. The beef was tender but so salty I think my arteries have seized up for the past 3 weeks since I left. I have already forgotten what my wife ate only that she also said the bread was stale and that the food was not nice to eat (anyway what does she know other than winning one of the most prestigious prizes for english cooks!)
We left without a pudding or a sweet.
Previously we have had tea there and had Metfield Almond and Lemon Cake - but that is made at the bakery.
Buy the produce -if it`s fresh and leave the cafe to improve, is my advice

1 Thank davidvwood