“Amazing Food, great old world feeling to the Inn”
Review of The Crown Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Snape
The Crown Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Snape B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Travelling home after a long day out with family and our two children, we found the Crown Inn pretty much by accident by taking the wrong turning at Saxmundam. What glorius mistake that was to make however as we have found a lovely little Inn just seven minutes from home which I plan on returning to as often as possible.

It's a beautiful location, right on the edge of the village of Snape, surrounded by countryside and good views. While the Inn itself, is very pretty inside, with that farmhouse to Inn feel you get in the older pubs, with a small bar area, and a fractured room, with the odd table off on its own in a corner with a half wall splitting it away from the rest of the dining room.

The food is amazing, lots of local and fresh produce, they rear their own pigs for some absolutely beautiful sausages that both our young lads loved. Do proper Onion rings, not those out of a bag monstrousities and have a nice overall menu with plenty of choice.
I myself had a ribeye steak in pepper sauce, my wife a heaving ploughmans served on a wooden board, and my mother in law had a Black pudding stuffed Chicken breast. Everyone enjoyed their food, not one complaint, and although they didn't have a childs menu, they where happy to make childs portions based off a adult main for one of our boys and for the other they let us pick three things combined not even on the menu.
So extremely child friendly in there.

I can't recommend this Inn enough, and they even let you buy some of the home mad sausages they make at the attached holdings for the Inn to take home. So I have a tasty treat waiting in the freezer for some night next week.

Overall a lovely location, amazing food and good couple of hours in a friendly and warm atmosphere. If you find youself hungry and near Snape in Suffolk, I seriously couldn't suggest you visit anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Shaedrah

Reviewed 1 May 2011

a wonderful pub with rosette worthy food and stunning surroundings - refurbished rooms are superb.

Room Tip: book your table for food
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Warm welcome from Teresa on arrival. Room was full of character with beams and sloping uneven floor. Restaurant has a traditional wooden settle around the fireplace, which gives a really cosy feel. Using their own home reared meat, the breast of lamb on our first night was succulent and delicious. Breakfast did not disappoint- the local sausages and bacon in particular were excellent. Conveniently situated for Snape Maltings, Southwold and Aldeburgh, the inn is also close to great countryside and coast. The friendly service extends through to the waiting staff and the waitress showed my wife the baby goat born the previous night on the morning of our departure. We had an equally lovely second breakfast served by the sous chef, who was very engaging and tried his hardest to meet our every need. The friendliness of the staff is great testament to Gary and Teresa's approach to running this inn. We enjoyed a very relaxing break staying here with fantastic local food. Thank you. I would strongly recommend a stay at the Crown.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Invited for supper with a group of friends , great local pint, superb food , great value, wonderful couple living rural dream with own home produced meat & veg, but delivering it on a plate!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2007

My boyfriend and I had a two night stay at the Crown in Summer 2006. I had eaten in the restaurant many times previously so knew pretty much what to expect from the rooms. We had a large room which was very cosy but it was a good job that neither of us are tall as the bathroom is small to say the least! The room was old in style and because of the age of the building, all the floors are uneven. There also wasn't a shower (no room to fit one) which would have annoyed me if I was there longer but for two days was fine. The bed was comfy and the cooked breakfast was really good, using lots of local ingredients.

I thought that the Crown was really good value for money and would definatly recommend it - especially if you have not stayed in a timber framed building before. Also make a reservation (and book early) for the restaurant as the food is great and it has been featured on one of Rick Stein's cooking programmes.

One tip I do have travellers is be careful about going out for the evening! We nearly got stranded in Aldeburgh for the night as we were told 'taxi's don't run as late as 11pm!" Given that it was a Friday I found that quite funny.

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed 7 December 2003

Hadn't visited this pub since I accompanied my father on his bakery round in the 1940s. It's still the same pub but the food has progressed to the 21st century and is simply splendid. Adnams beer is still as good as ever. Accommodation is a little quirky but in keeping with the rest of the pub.

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!