All reviewsthe pubfish and chipssnug areasloping floorspiped musicsunday lunchlots of characterreal firereared porklight lunchskate wingdouble roomblack puddingmaltingsadnamssuffolkfield
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The Crown is easy to find with plenty of parking. On arrival, we had a warm welcome. We had the double room, which was comfortable and, although above the bar, not particularly noisy. The bathroom is small and probably not suitable for the very tall, but was fine for us for a couple of nights. Fresh milk was provided for the lovely tea and coffee provided in the room. Breakfasts and dinners were superb and in every case exceeded expectations. We would certainly consider returning and I have already mentioned it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We have been coming here for years. That says it all really. The welcome is great as is the food and ambience. Ideally suited for concerts at Snape Maltings (a few hundred yards away) and exploring the River Alde area we cannot praise it highly enough. If you are in the area do go and stay and/or have a meal. It is much less stuffier than some of the eateries in Aldeburgh and the food is as good. Treat yourself/selves - phone up, book and go!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We just came back from 2 nights at the Crown, Snape. What a lovely pub. Excellent food. Possibly the most delicious haddock welsh rarebit I've ever tasted. All the meat is reared on the premises and tasted amazing. The staff were very helpful and kind and offered an excellent service. It was the type of service that is so rare to find these days. I will be re visiting in the not so distant future.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Travelling home after a long day out with family and our two children, we found the Crown Inn pretty much by accident by taking the wrong turning at Saxmundam. What glorius mistake that was to make however as we have found a lovely little Inn just seven minutes from home which I plan on returning to as often as possible.

It's a beautiful location, right on the edge of the village of Snape, surrounded by countryside and good views. While the Inn itself, is very pretty inside, with that farmhouse to Inn feel you get in the older pubs, with a small bar area, and a fractured room, with the odd table off on its own in a corner with a half wall splitting it away from the rest of the dining room.

The food is amazing, lots of local and fresh produce, they rear their own pigs for some absolutely beautiful sausages that both our young lads loved. Do proper Onion rings, not those out of a bag monstrousities and have a nice overall menu with plenty of choice.
I myself had a ribeye steak in pepper sauce, my wife a heaving ploughmans served on a wooden board, and my mother in law had a Black pudding stuffed Chicken breast. Everyone enjoyed their food, not one complaint, and although they didn't have a childs menu, they where happy to make childs portions based off a adult main for one of our boys and for the other they let us pick three things combined not even on the menu.
So extremely child friendly in there.

I can't recommend this Inn enough, and they even let you buy some of the home mad sausages they make at the attached holdings for the Inn to take home. So I have a tasty treat waiting in the freezer for some night next week.

Overall a lovely location, amazing food and good couple of hours in a friendly and warm atmosphere. If you find youself hungry and near Snape in Suffolk, I seriously couldn't suggest you visit anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Shaedrah
Reviewed 1 May 2011

a wonderful pub with rosette worthy food and stunning surroundings - refurbished rooms are superb.

Room Tip: book your table for food
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple