“Perfect end to perfect day”

The Crown Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 50 Restaurants in Southwold
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The food is famously good and the wine list wonderful. You don't have to take our word for it - The Crown is an award winning restaurant. We've been awarded Suffolk Dining Pub of the Year by The Good Pub Guide in 2013 and 2014.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We decided to have a day trip along the Suffolk coast (even thought we live in Suuffolk there is so much to see and do!). So first stop, the Woodbridge Vintage and Modern Market, then potted shrimp on the beach at Aldeburgh and finally an excellent meal in Southwold.
Despite the restaurant being virtually full, we didn't have to wait long to order or for each of our courses. Excellent choice for each course (I would have been quite happy with any of the starters!) and a very good choice of wines. Portion sizes were more than ample and the ambience was really nice.
Pretty well priced (approx. £30 each plus wine) for the quality of food.
Would certainly go again.

1  Thank IpswichRita
AdnamsSouthwold, Manager at The Crown Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

It's wonderful to hear about your enjoyable experience with us at The Crown Hotel. We very much hope to see you again soon.
Yours sincerely
Jennifer Hay

There are newer reviews for The Crown Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Having booked a table for my birthday we were told no booking was there, but they found us a table. Whew!! Lovely first two courses, but dessert not up to the usual fabulous standard

It’s great to hear about your recent dining experience with us and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your first two courses. Apologies if you felt the desserts were not as good, we have just put in place our new summer menu so there are some “summer classics” not to be missed so we hope to see you again soon.
Yours sincerely
Jennifer Hay

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Crown is situated directly on the Main Street in Southwold so it has a great position. We stopped off for lunch on a warm sunny, mid week day and the place was buzzing. My wife chose the prawn spaghetti which she really enjoyed. I always look forward to a glorious pint of Adnams and the best thing I could think of o accompany it would be a ploughmans. However a man needs a mans ploughmans. My meal was a derisory sized piece if cheddar, a small amount of chutney, two slices of bread (no butter), three halfs of cherry tomato, a bit if lettuce and a dairy lea slice of chicken terrine, barely a starter. All very nice but not very filling, perhaps it choose wrong.

3  Thank KevinB34

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit. It’s great to hear that your wife enjoyed her Prawn spaghetti. Whilst both these dishes fall into the light lunch category I can only apologise if your ploughman’s was not a generous enough portion.

If you’re visiting again in the future please do not hesitate to ask a member of my team for something extra. We would have been happy to get you some more of any of the items on the ploughman’s as we understand the importance of keeping our customers happy.

We have since moved onto our summer lunch menu so we very much hope to see you again soon so you can try some of the new dishes we have to offer.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Crown used to be one of Southwold's top restaurants. We go every year and used to enjoy the great service and excellent food.

This year, however...

I ordered sardine fillets. When I pointed out to the waiter that they had all the bones in, I was told, "They are too small to fillet". No apology. In which case, advertise them as whole sardines.

The pork cops were, it must be said, good.

Desserts were nice enough.

But then, I had to wait 25 minutes between asking for the bill and getting it. When I complained, I was told, "I forgot." No apology.

Crown management - you need to pull your socks up. We did not return, and enjoyed three excellent meals at Sullivan House with good food and impeccable service - at the same price as The Crown.

3  Thank Geoffrey B

I would like to sincerely apologise for the mistakes in service that happened during your visit. I can in no way excuse these but assure you that the matters of miscommunication and service you raised have been addressed with our teams.

As we move into our busiest season we do have a very new team working with us. This does not mean that these errors are acceptable however it does mean that we are in an intensive training period in order to ensure that we get our service back to where it needs to be. We very much hope that you try us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had dinner with friends on Saturday evening and it was simply great! The decor is lovely, the food was excellent and the staff were friendly, helpful and discrete. This is the second time that we have eaten here and we will return.