“Cream tea not a good experience”

Squiers of Southwold
Ranked #36 of 48 Restaurants in Southwold
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bedford
“Cream tea not a good experience”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were looking for a cream tea in southwold and we came across this very sweet looking traditional sweet shop and tea rooms. We thought we would pop in and give it a try. It was very pleasant with a nice atmosphere. We sat at a table and a very nice girl came to take our order straight away. We ordered 2 cream teas. the tea was so quick coming and the waitress was very efficient. we got the cream tea quite quickly and we noticed the cream was a spray cream type but we thought "okay" when we cut the scone it fell apart and crumbled this was in my opinion either it was stale or it was frozen. it was very unpleasant and not good at all. I asked the waitress if she could replace this as i felt it was not very good and stale, she went back to the kitchen and the cook, owner, or manager just would not come out and barked from the kitchen there is nothing wrong with these scones we felt very sorry for the waitress as she was being used by the person in the kitchen as aping pong waitress who could not be bothered to come and speak to us in short if she had come and spoke to us we may have settled for the replacement and that would have been sorted instead she just barked out of the kitchen again and again we just paid for the tea and left. A very poor scone and service was good shame about the invisible norman bates mother in the kitchen 3 things to do about this tea rooms AVOID AVOID AVOID!!! shouted from behind my lounge door...

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank jcdafc
RAZJ, Cook in charge at Squiers of Southwold, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
How sad that jcdafc felt it necessary to write such a scathing review of an experience which we are normally, with very few exceptions, complimented upon (see all other reviews).
Unfortunately, they appear to be under a misconception of what lightly whipped cream looks like, having thought it was squirted out of a spray can, which is a product that we would never consider using for a cream tea! We prefer to serve our cream lightly whipped rather than completely solid as it spreads easier on nice, fresh scones which do have a tendency to crumble if handled roughly. The scones served to them were neither stale nor previously frozen, but baked in our kitchen earlier. When they came in, towards the end of a very busy day, I was still cooking, actually dicing onion and garlic in preparation for the next days soup, so it did not occur to me to leave the kitchen and go through to the tearoom when our waitress came back with their complaint. Having already been complimented on the scones by earlier customers, I just said (not barked) that they were perfectly all right. When they said they didn't want them, I told our waitress not to replace them as they were all from exactly the same batch, which they clearly didn't appreciate, and we had already wasted four, so there was little point in wasting another four. The kitchen in our cosy, little building is naturally very close to the tea room itself, so I can only assume that they thought I was shouting from some distance, rather than just speaking to our waitress above the cooking noises, but I am not in the habit of 'barking' at my fellow staff, and can assure them that I do not have any phsycopathic tendencies either, so their Norman Bates' mother analogy was both incorrect and offensive. Had they requested to see the cook I would, of course, stopped what I was doing and gone to speak to them, but as far as I was concerned the matter had been dealt with in a perfectly polite and amicable manner by not charging them for any of the wasted scones, whipped cream and jam, only for the pot of tea they had actually consumed. It is a very rare occurrence for us to receive a complaint, and the only time I have had to leave the kitchen to deal with one, they proved to be 'serial complainers' who make a habit of complaining about perfectly good food in order to avoid paying! I would not dream of putting jcdafc in this category, but am just pointing out that I was not avoiding them, am not an ogre, and, as all our regular customers, and others who have reviewed Squiers Tearooms would agree, bake perfectly good, fresh produce.

London, United Kingdom
“Splendid Squiers”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Had a fantastic meal in here with friends whilst on holiday in the area. Great food, Attentive and friendly service and nice atmosphere. Would recommend to all and return if ever in the locale.

• Visited July 2013
Carlton Colville, United Kingdom
“A taste of the past”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This was our first visit to this small restaurant - hidden behind a shop in the High street. Its like visiting a bygone attraction! Our "gravy" lunch was reasonably priced with plenty of vegetables, and the sweets were very generous. On our visit there were a number of well dressed elderly ladies doing lunch - sure one of them was Miss Marple! Will probably call again.

• Visited June 2013
Felixstowe
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Suzanne99Felix”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

A lovely tea room, and the cream tea was great. Bit quiet how about some music of the forties
some light jazz, glen miller, just back round music give it a whirl

Lovely day

• Visited May 2013
London
“English to the core”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Squiers - with its quaint and intimate historic interior - conjures up the 'golden age' reflected in John Betjamen's poems and writings. Here is a little oasis of a forgotten England where good wholesome English food is served on traditional china plates. The menu is very much focused on English home cooking and includes such traditional delights as whitebait; steak and kidney pudding; cottage pie; spotted dick etc. All food served is freshly cooked so you may have to wait a while if the restaurant is busy (it usually is!!). The waiting staff are pleasant and obliging. Portions are generous (5-6 different vegetables served with main courses). The front of Squiers is occupied by a traditional English sweet shop selling hand-made chocolates and a large selection of traditional 'favorites' displayed behind the counter in large glass sweet jars. A great place to eat out at reasonable cost after a long walk by the sea. A must if you are visiting Southwold. .

• Visited March 2013