“A Hidden Bit of Charm”

Squiers of Southwold
Ranked #34 of 50 Restaurants in Southwold
Price range: US$3 - US$11
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Easily missed, this little gem lurks behind the shop full of sweets. A small space but not crowded, the cafe caters for breakfast through to tea. The food is simple English fare, served hot and fresh, with much of it made on the premises. The staff are friendly, efficient and helpful. It's not a fast food outlet and you need to be prepared to wait whilst your food is prepared. Word of warning to the unfit; the toilet is up a steep flight of stairs and if you're tall you might bang your head on the ceiling as you climb!
We had a pleasant and tasty lunch here, out of the bustle of a seaside town full of families enjoying the early spring sunshine.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

on a trip to southwold we went into this little shop looking at the many old fashoned tubs of sweets inside and were pleased to see at the back was a lovely little tea room. it was lovely a nice fire burning away, the staff were lovely and we had a lovely coffee with a slice of cake each at a good price. of course followed by buying some good old fashon sweets that reminded us of when we were children.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I love Southwold (used to live there so biased) but my partner thinks it a bit too trendy and up itself. So we were both delighted to enjoy a very tasty and very 'normal' bacon roll and coffee this week, served speedily and with a smile by a cheery lady, and all for a very competitive price. No rocket, ciabatta or fancy dancy trimmings, just good bacon and soft bread. Good work as always, Squiers. Nice to see you still have what it takes!

RAZJ, Owner at Squiers of Southwold, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your kind praise. We do pride ourselves on trying (nobody is perfect!) to always serve up good, traditional, wherever possible local produce at a reasonable price. And we feel that our team of locally employed ladies are indeed a credit to us.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We have been here a few times over the years and have had good experiences. However on the last visit I felt the need to complain about the quality of the mince in the shepherds pie. It was way below standard but the management were not interested. My wife was disappointed she had to leave the meal l was even more disappointed about having to pay for it. So I guess it is time to move on.

RAZJ, Owner at Squiers of Southwold, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

We are sorry to read your review and that you felt 'the quality of the mince to be below standard in your Shepherds Pie'. We always try our hardest to please our customers, meet with their requests and serve the best quality, local, seasonal produce at a reasonable price that we can.
Therefore I would like to explain that, we in fact make Cottage Pie with local, British, lean Beef mince and not Shepherds Pie which contains Lamb mince.
We pride ourselves in serving good, honest, traditional, home cooked food 'with gravy', which is what we've been doing for the last fourteen years.
Bigedd2004, don't say how recently they experienced their 'disappointing meal', but we will always try to rectify any mistake or complaint if it is made before the meal is consumed.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were looking for a cream tea in southwold and we came across this very sweet looking traditional sweet shop and tea rooms. We thought we would pop in and give it a try. It was very pleasant with a nice atmosphere. We sat at a table and a very nice girl came to take our order straight away. We ordered 2 cream teas. the tea was so quick coming and the waitress was very efficient. we got the cream tea quite quickly and we noticed the cream was a spray cream type but we thought "okay" when we cut the scone it fell apart and crumbled this was in my opinion either it was stale or it was frozen. it was very unpleasant and not good at all. I asked the waitress if she could replace this as i felt it was not very good and stale, she went back to the kitchen and the cook, owner, or manager just would not come out and barked from the kitchen there is nothing wrong with these scones we felt very sorry for the waitress as she was being used by the person in the kitchen as aping pong waitress who could not be bothered to come and speak to us in short if she had come and spoke to us we may have settled for the replacement and that would have been sorted instead she just barked out of the kitchen again and again we just paid for the tea and left. A very poor scone and service was good shame about the invisible norman bates mother in the kitchen 3 things to do about this tea rooms AVOID AVOID AVOID!!! shouted from behind my lounge door...

2  Thank jcdafc
RAZJ, Cook in charge at Squiers of Southwold, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

How sad that jcdafc felt it necessary to write such a scathing review of an experience which we are normally, with very few exceptions, complimented upon (see all other reviews).
Unfortunately, they appear to be under a misconception of what lightly whipped cream looks like, having thought it was squirted out of a spray can, which is a product that we would never consider using for a cream tea! We prefer to serve our cream lightly whipped rather than completely solid as it spreads easier on nice, fresh scones which do have a tendency to crumble if handled roughly. The scones served to them were neither stale nor previously frozen, but baked in our kitchen earlier. When they came in, towards the end of a very busy day, I was still cooking, actually dicing onion and garlic in preparation for the next days soup, so it did not occur to me to leave the kitchen and go through to the tearoom when our waitress came back with their complaint. Having already been complimented on the scones by earlier customers, I just said (not barked) that they were perfectly all right. When they said they didn't want them, I told our waitress not to replace them as they were all from exactly the same batch, which they clearly didn't appreciate, and we had already wasted four, so there was little point in wasting another four. The kitchen in our cosy, little building is naturally very close to the tea room itself, so I can only assume that they thought I was shouting from some distance, rather than just speaking to our waitress above the cooking noises, but I am not in the habit of 'barking' at my fellow staff, and can assure them that I do not have any phsycopathic tendencies either, so their Norman Bates' mother analogy was both incorrect and offensive. Had they requested to see the cook I would, of course, stopped what I was doing and gone to speak to them, but as far as I was concerned the matter had been dealt with in a perfectly polite and amicable manner by not charging them for any of the wasted scones, whipped cream and jam, only for the pot of tea they had actually consumed. It is a very rare occurrence for us to receive a complaint, and the only time I have had to leave the kitchen to deal with one, they proved to be 'serial complainers' who make a habit of complaining about perfectly good food in order to avoid paying! I would not dream of putting jcdafc in this category, but am just pointing out that I was not avoiding them, am not an ogre, and, as all our regular customers, and others who have reviewed Squiers Tearooms would agree, bake perfectly good, fresh produce.