“Expensive and mean”

The Boardwalk Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 50 Restaurants in Southwold
Price range: US$4 - US$53
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Boardwalk Restaurant is a family-friendly restaurant serving delicious food all day from 10.00am. Many of the ingredients are locally sourced. Open everyday of the year except Christmas Day, we serve morning coffee and cakes from 10.00am, lunches from 11.30am through to the early part of the afternoon, cream teas are a speciality in the afternoon. In the summer months we do high tea for children from 5.30pm and then suppers all evening. The hours are slightly shorter in the autumn and winter months, please check our website for daily opening hours. Sit inside or enjoy sitting on the boards outside enjoying some of the finest views of Southwold. Fully licensed, there is no nicer place to have a pint of Adnams or a glass of wine, listening to the sound of the waves beneath your feet! Please note: our food service hours are 11.30am - 4pm, and 5pm - 8.30pm. These times are weather permitting and therefore can change.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

What a pity that the standards of the Angel at Bury and the Salthouse at Ipswich, which have the same ownership, have not transferred to Southwold Pier. Our party of six for lunch was unanimous in disappointment. Whether starter or main dish, at £7 or £13, the chopped salad with chicken, avocado and goats cheese contained plenty of lettuce but no more than a few fingernail sized flakes of each main ingredient and, in more than one case, at least one vital ingredient was totally absent. This was beyond portion control: just unacceptably mean. The restaurant, thanks to its location and publicity, is always packed so perhaps this is just a matter of not caring about return visits. What a shame.

1  Thank gilberts062

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We visited the Boardwalk Restaurant on a Monday evening and found the staff helpful and pleasant. Lovely setting and views. We ordered the duck breast which was supposed to come with a pancake roll and wilted vegetables. The portion of duck was a couple of slices of breast, the pancake roll was tiny and the vegetables non existent. We complained and were told it was a tasting dish - whatever that is meant to be. The other dish (pork belly) we had was tasty but also a small portion. We obviously chose the wrong thing but won't visit again.

1  Thank Mags60247
Reviewed 8 June 2014

After reading reviews was looking forward to sampling the fare. Unfortunately we were able to make comparisons and this restaurant just didn't deliver. I had a burger which was ok but had sampled much better at The Lord Nelson which I would recommend. My partner chose fish which was very small in size and only average in taste. We had tasted better from Marks take away and the Golden Galleon in Aldeburgh. We also thought it was overpriced. Lovely setting on pier but would have liked better quality better value meals.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to the Boardwalk aftet a previous night's visit to the 'Nellie'. What a let down!
There were only 2 other tables occupied. We chose and ordered. My wife's meal was delicious and served without problem. I ordered a simple grilled plaice from the specials board. After a few minutes I was told that the this was not available (yet the board was not changed).
My meal came with chips that could best be described as al dente!
Not a place we will return to. It was back to the Lord Nelson for our third night.

1  Thank RogInNottm
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had another lovely meal at the Boardwalk, the fish pie and market vegetables I would thoroughly recommend, also has Adnams Beer which my hubby definitely approved of